University Health Network logo
University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews for Nursing Student

nursing student experience

I have learned about nursing care relevant to the individual patient's needs. I really enjoyed working at Toronto Rehabilitation Institute especially because of the positive environment amongst staff members and supports available.

Nice facility

All the staff are very nice and inclusive of one another. Location is great as it is located in the hear of downtown toronto. Also located beside other health care facilities.

Making a difference in patients lives in a positive working enviroment

I worked 8 or 12 hours per day which included morning, afternoons and evenings shifts. I learned how to provide effective care to 6 patients (full patient load for an RPN at the facility). My responsibilities included; basic care, physical assessments, implementing nursing/medical interventions, medication administration, evaluations of patient therapy, ongoing monitoring of patients' conditions, as well as documentation (EPR, flow charts and progressive notes). I also had the opportunity to become competent in my bedside manner and apply my therapeutic communication skills with all my patients.

Pros

Being a part of the rehab process and working as part of a team

Cons

Not having sufficient time to be able to provide psychological/social support for patients

Learning about Geriatric Rehabilitation

At this clinical practicum, I was able to learn about and experience geriatric rehabilitation nursing. Toronto Rehab is a wonderful teaching facility where inter-professional consultation and collaboration is encouraged. As such, I was able to learn from many different health care disciplines. The hardest part of the job was the emotional aspect of working with an elderly population, as they are very vulnerable. The most enjoyable part of the job was again, learning from the varied disciplines. Also developing a rapport with clients that would be there week after week.

Pros

Wonderful inter-professional collaboration

Cons

Emotional aspect of geriatric nursing

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University Health Network?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement