University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews

Canada225 reviews

torontohospitalpatientorganizationdepartmentnurseprofessionalstaff

great

the job is great the staff is friendly and its unionized. over all a great place to work and grow your skillset. lots of opportunity to move around if you dont like your current position

Sacm

They do not have effective HR so the managers have the power to behave like Mr.Putin. If you get a good manager you can work otherwise good luck. They have overstaffed managers and under staff frontline workes.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Over staffing of managers and politics

Insights into University Health Network

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Fun and challenging workplace

I learned a lot by working at UHN. The team members were from all different backgrounds and disciplines so collaborating was fun and engaging because there was always the opportunity to learn from each other. Expect to be challenged and be ready to learn on the job.

Pros

Remote work, flexible schedule

Cons

Onboarding HR process is lengthy

Depending on which physician you support; I supported 2 physicians who were great. They left so I left with one to help him start community practice.

Toxic working environment

Toxic work cultureCondescending and rude managementYou won't move up the ladder unless you have no pride or shame. It is okay for upper managementbeing disrespectful. No appreciation of the staff!

UHN is a world renowned healthcare centre so that's something to be proud of.

It is not easy to work at UHN but it can be rewarding. There is a lot going on so sometimes it can be hard to prioritize and focus. All in all, the total compensation package is good, especially the pension plan.

Run away!!!

Seriously this place is terrible. It would be so hard to sum up all of the bad things about UHN. Easily the worst HR I have ever dealt with. Incompetent scientists, over funded researchers, poor facilities. Management are awful. It was out of the movie office space. I had four bosses who I had to get approval of for everything. Short term contracts and low pay were the icing on the cake. Go elsewhere. You can do better.

Pros

Close to Kenzington market

Cons

Surrounded by stupidity

Poor workplace culture and poor pay

Nurses unfortunately are not compensated enough for the amount of work we do. Constant flow of admitting patients even though not staffed. Workplace culture has gone down, alot of bullying and horizontal violence among nurses, especially towards new nurses. Used to be a much healthier environment to work in. Hopefully will change soon.

benefits

Cons

culture

I enjoyed my job with Staff and Management...will love to work under their supervision again.. tks to all for making my job a healthy place to work.

I enjoyed working with UHN.. Would like that opportunity again. We worked like a Team and Management were always pleased and complimented our working skills with the Public as I worked with the Mobile Vaccine Team during COVID 19.

Stressful understaffed

Stressful understaffed nrsg and allied health especially due to the pandemic and there is government funding needed to support nursing staff in particular

Teamwork with CARE values

Based on my work experiences with other hospitals, UHN is the best and a very supportive place to work with. Very good benefits; likewise, work balance is great.

Decent nursing job

Decent work culture, not too much drama, although each unit is different. Some attempts made across the organization to retain staff. Flexible staffing available if you want to pursue grad school/continuing education.

Staffing issues

Good company, room for growth. A lot of company politics involved. Takes a while to get accustomed to the staff but there is always a couple people willing to help. Like any other hospital right now, they often working short. Managers are helpful when it comes to job mobility.

Pros

Salary is standard

Cons

Long hours, work weekends, manager is nowhere to be found

Decent

Staffing tends to be short which makes the work tough, can have hard patient populations, but generally supportive culture/management. Unionized, decent benefits

Great for entry level but no growth after

Could be dependent on the department you're with but it was a good company to learn and grow at early stages of career. However, there is no real growth and becomes stagnant. Salary compensation could be better especially when so many people are leaving but they are not hiring to fill those role and expect you to take on the work.

It was a professional and friendly environment to work.

I was a home transcriptionist for over 20 years so you actually work at your own pace typing for various doctors. The hardest part of the job was if English is not their first language, so it could be difficult to understand certain words. Another problem was if the doctor was recording using a speaker sometimes words could be missed.

Don’t even consider

If you care about patients being taken care of, if you really want to do good quality work don’t even consider UHN.Working conditions are poor and after COVID 19 you get to do your job and the job of 10 more people working from home 100% and never showing up to work.

Pros

Cannot see any

Cons

Very long hours

Passionate and kind coworkers, innovative workplace

UHN has good quality healthcare. Its staff are mostly really nice, passionate, collaborative, and hardworking. You can have a gym pass, and other great perks. Working downtown can be inconvenient when you are driving.

Pros

Culture, awesome team of executives, the opportunity to help patients

Cons

Patients can be rude, COVID was a difficult time to work

A good place to work

good place to work, salary is on the low side. No opportunity for growth within the company unless you apply for other positions. Hours can vary, some co workers are very competitive and sometimes can micromanage which is irritating.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

low pay

Great workplace

Great workplace environment. Lots of opportunity for career advancement. You learn a lot in a short amount of time. It's a lot to take in but worth it in the long run

Not better than before.

Management system not so good. Not better than before. Really very busy each working day.People there without passions.Each department really different.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement