University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews

Canada176 reviews
Excellent place to work if you want to learn and grow.
Very fast-paced multi-tasking and highly competitive,

Salary raises do not follow the increase in duties and responsibilities.

Benefits are very good

Management does not promote or stimulate advancement. They don't promote you so they don't have to increase your pay.
Benefits
Cons
salary increases and promotions very difficult to achieve
I cannot say enough bad things about this place. This was a micromanaged factory of inability, that employed only the incompetent. Safety was considered 'a luxury'. Avoid the Weaver lab like the plague that it is. Unless of course you want multiple supervisors, all of which are unfamiliar with what you are doing, enjoy no help, support, guidance, and find the challenging of living in Toronto on 45k a year for 50-60 hrs/week 'fun'. You feel yourself getting dumber working here. No possible advancement, and no one outside of the medical community even knows what UHN is. A horrible, and irrelevant experience, surrounded by inability, and filled with stress and expectations, despite the total lack of support or guidance.
Pros
Contracts mean you won't be there forever.
Cons
Working with Fan Wu
UHN provides ample opportunity to slide between departments to develop skillset. Most management is agreeable, but some can be unreasonable. Regardless, highly recommend UHN.
Pay is decent, but only if you aim high during initial negotiations. After that, you're stuck with a paltry annual increase. Benefits and pension are great.

Advancement within your own team/department is rare. The only way to move up is out - either out of your team/department or to another organization.

The pace can only be described as glacial. What should take a few days is stretched to weeks. And anything that should take weeks will be measured in months.

Management has the emotional intelligence of roadkill. You will be view as a tool rather than a human being, and consequently, will be treated like one. Most will gladly throw their subordinates under a bus to protect their own skin. Expect to continue working after 5PM, well into the evening.

HR will do everything to defend the organization. Anything you need/ask of them will be treated like a massive inconvenience. As per above, simple forms and tasks will take weeks to complete.

I recommend coming to UHN for a few years of experience, but staying past a few years is a waste of your time. Plenty of better hospitals in the area to work at.

PS - You can count the number of social events with one hand, even after losing a few fingers in a tragic accident.
In terms of health care University Health Network is one of the leaders for patient care and embracing innovation in the health care sector.

As a previous employee in UHN's security operations, also as a female, I would suggest the managerial staff in the security department be required to maintain a stronger educational focus on keeping up to date with social appropriateness, gender equality, racial inclusivity and that a higher standard be held regarding acceptable candidates for managerial positions.

All UHN members of Security Operations management are male and are also educationally surpassed by many of their subordinates. My experience working within the security department for 5 years exposed a large disconnect between the mangers racist, sexist and authoritarian like behaviour and the standard of excellence UHN maintains regarding healthy work environments.

This is unacceptable for such a progressive organization in the health care sector located in one of the most multicultural cities in the world.

I am not proud to have worked in this environment, it forced me to compromise my value systems, my integrity and my own standards for self-respect. These are not small compromises to expect employees to make in order to do their jobs in the 21st century.
Great to work if you've settled down. Not so great if you're looking for faster advancement. Very dated infrastructure...like you literally hear dial up sounds when you're in office. Easy to make mistakes due to dated infrastructure. If you have never worked in a hospital...beware! Lots to learn and easy to mess up. Certain managers tend to have robotic personalities and need to learn better people skills, especially when dealing with people with different personalities.
Benefits
Cons
Career advancement (it would take you years to advance), robotic management
If you're looking for an institution to complete graduate studies at look no further than joining a department that has partnered with UHN. The depth of research being completed here is world class. Graduate studies with a researcher based out of UHN will change you!
Supervised staff in collaboration with hospital and medical leaders to complete the scheduled operations as described on the surgical list.
Management was supportive but the staff were uncooperative and fragmented.
Good work / life balance. Public sector always under tight budget. Salary is not compensating. Management is ok. However job is stable. Downtown core may not be ideal suburban commuters.
You can be a part of innovation and discovery in the medical world. UHN is one of the most well known places for all kinds of research from medical cures to creating and developing the future of medicine.
Pros
Flexible time.
Cons
Not much support.
The staff presents you with numerous learning opportunities that can help you prepare yourself for a career in healthcare. Everyone was super friendly and resourceful.
Productive patient centric work place. A typical work day would include managing multiple projects. Interaction with doctors and researchers looking at solving real life patient problems.
It is a great place to work. Great organization.
Reasonable pay. Great benefits offer.

Love the people I work with. My boss is very understanding a great leader.
The day begins at 9:00 AM and ends at 5:00 PM.
As an intern I work two days a week from 9-2:00 PM to accommodate classes. I work directly under the Senior Graphic Designer who oversees my process from ideation to production. I have learned a great deal about corporate branding and multitasking between different departments.
I have learnt a lot about the full spectrum of healthcare, in particular how technology, strong best practices, lean business processes and caring staff can impact a patients story
Good to work in such a gigantic organization with over 30,000 employees and get to know how hospital system in Canada works. Good staff benefits, 6 insurance plans to pick from.
Great place to work great team members, no micro management.............................. Would recommend this working environment to anyone........................
Pros
No Micro Management
Cons
Communte
Everyone is very kind and welcome. The environment is super easy is adapt. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the patients and helping them.
A typical day at work shld jstify my commute to work. I shld lern sme thngs abt hw scntific prncples r applied. I mst give feedbck to mgt, enjy a friendly and collaborative culture
I am a dialysis nurse who works on a nocturnal unit. I like the team i work with, the manager is very helpful & the NP , DR are very easy to work with. They actually value the input of the nurses who see the patients alot more than they do.
the team produced high-quality research and care for the patients, wonderful physician and healthcare team
the management team could be better at supporting the junior members
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2