University Health Network Employee Reviews

Enhance my growth as an individual, physically socially and mentally .
Lab Technician 3 (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2019
UHN is a good training ground for beginners especially in the medical laboratory field. There’s plenty of experience in various section of the laboratory that one can grow fully because of the massive training and extensive knowledge being imparted to every employee. In venipuncture alone, numerous patients at Princess Margaret Hospital would provide you an excellent phlebotomy skill for non stop bleeding and EKG procedures. Bottom line, all these experiences I have encountered working as a phlebotomist at UHN continued my growth and development as an individual in all aspects of life.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Long wait for permanency position
Great experience and company culture
Coop Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2019
I enjoyed learning all the new technologies and workflows I had to use which will certainly be very useful in the coming years. While work was a bit slow sometimes, it was still nice to spend time with my coworkers and being at the centre of downtown Toronto didn't hurt.
Pros
Good learning experience, relaxed, good culture
Cons
Slow days
Solid organization
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2018
As it is such a big organization, your job and workplace culture is very dependent on the team you are on and your manager/leadership. Some roles will provide you with the opportunity to interact with other teams/departments, while others are more insular. For the most part, it is possible to move around to new roles (I was on the corporate side, but moved between teams) when you would like a change/new challenge.

Salaries are on the low end.
Pros
Large organization, possible to move between teams to increase your learning + find the right fit
Cons
Internal promotion can be difficult and is very dependent on your manager/leadership
Age frendly ,manny worth wide cources offered to take
Administrative Assistant MSICU, TGH, PMH (Former Employee) –  200 Elizabeth Street9 October 2018
Had a wonder experience at UHN ,however non union jobs salaries payscale is all over the place , depending the amout you were hired for, someone beside you could be makeing significantly more doing the same postion.
Pros
Great working enviroment
Cons
Be prepared for a very heavy workload
Fast fast heavy work load with a business type environment.
Gifts Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2018
A typical day to day routine would be to run reports for online donations as well as process donations from donors and issue receipts. My knowledge of how a hospital foundation supports the medical innovations that hospitals achieve grew immensely. the office was a very fast paced and there were constant deadlines needing to be met which was difficult to achieve sometimes due to donation volume and under staffing. Most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of meeting the hospitals fundraising goal to allow the doctors in the hospital to take on new projects and innovating health care for patients.
Pros
Bonuses, free lunches and coffee.
Cons
Could not take vacation time between November and February.
nice atmosphere
Research Technician I/II (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2018
nice place to work at, good working atmosphere. great working culture. over all nice place, does have bit of mis-communication between the departments, that sometime leads to deal in work done.
Nice and professional workplace
Administrative and Research Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2018
I just volunteered there.
Nice people; My coordinator was an awesome person.
good facilities for employees, like gym room.
Lots of patients. Busy.
Made good friends from diverse areas- OT, social workers.
Felt like a big family
Executive Assistant to the EVP & CBO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 August 2018
I really enjoyed my time at UHN. I had left my previous employer for a better opportunity and thought that UHN was the perfect fit for me. Unfortunately that time was short lived as I was laid off due to restructuring. It was a great opportunity to gain more responsibility and learn more about the healthcare/hospital system. Enjoyed working in the corporate office, everyone was helpful and kind.
Pros
Helpful staff, takes time to answer questions
Cons
Restructuring, job loss
OK place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2018
It was an OK place to work. The salary and benefits were good, however management is the overall reason I left my position with UHN. Unfortunately managers lack education and real life experience (within the security department). They have not worked outside of the health care environment, and do not have any form of higher education, while many of their subordinates have university degrees, etc.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, short notice for shifts
Friendly environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2018
I work casual and I like my schedule. Nice colleagues. The unit is not that heavy and I like to work for this company. The only reason I may leave is the commuit issue. Otherwise, I would never leave this company.
A great organization!
SENIOR CLINICAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2018
I am very honored and privileged to be employed with this organization. This organization develops the staff so they can work anywhere but treats so good that they do not want to leave.
Long hard days at work with amazing people
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
Working as a nurse there is a lot of paperwork and mediating between different members of the care team and patients. I expect UHN is no different in that it feels as though the nurses take a lot of the work with little say in the company. All of this having been said I had the opportunity to work with the most amazing men and women I have had the pleasure of meeting. they are always kind and helpful as can be, even when the work gets hard.
Pros
Co-workers
Positive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2018
UHN is a great organization where Undergrad University students can gain excellent work experience under the influence of highly qualified Post-docs or doctors.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
no cons
great place to work
TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
4 major hospitals in one, UHN is top notch in the country! It's a place one would like to work in for the lifetime of one's career. It offers great benefits for its employees but it also tends to be lacking in some of their needs; compassion, for example.
Pros
great benefits, good people to work with
Cons
wasteful with resources, cuts down good programs due to bad management
Productive and fun workplace
DB2 Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2018
- Good work balance
- Good management
- Collaborative environment with lots of opportunities to learn new technologies
- Strong research group with lots of initiative
Pros
Good team events
Cons
Salary/benefits not so competitive.
Patient Observer position
Patient Observer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2018
The manager was abusive and unprofessional. Literally bullies students. Very disappointing for such a big organization to have such people work for them.
Finance Analyst at Altum Health (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2018
Work from Mon-Fri with flexible time
Learning AR/AP skills
Friendly Environment
Get used to work under pressure and fast paced environment
Opportunity to grow
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2018
Great staff and very helpful. Great exposure for hospital setting if you aspire working in health field. You get the chance to do some secretarial job and admin job
Workplace culture
Finance Director - UHN Pharmacy, IPAC, PSI, MDRD (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2018
Workplace culture at this organization has been very different from now, and is deteriorating rapidly. In the last 3 years many people left organization, and this trends is accelerating.
great therapy team
Student Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Canada26 January 2018
assessments, evaluations, repeat. Heavy caseload, but staff is great at helping each other out. This hospital seemed to have really good work morale the time I was there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.

University Health Network Reviews by Location