University Canada West

University Canada West Employee Reviews

A lot of opportunities and growth
Admissions (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 January 2020
University Canada West is a private university with friendly and fast-paced environment. The staff at UCW are supportive and kind. There are a lot of opportunities and employees will be able to have a lot of self-growth from UCW. I have so much fun and have been enjoyable working at UCW.
Unprofessional, unethical, toxic, lack of leadership
Support Services (Former Employee) –  Downtown20 January 2020
From the moment I walked into this University to the moment I walked out, I had nothing but the worst experiences.

Their HR is messed up and based on my experiences, there is no leadership whatsoever. The person who oversees HR is tactless, heavy on the use of vulgar language, and speaks to staff in a very condescending manner. During my time there, I heard countless number of complaints and concerns from staff members but I wanted to see and witness these for myself. My first encounter with her in a meeting in her Office was when she said F*** to a staff member; I was taken aback as this was done in the presence of 3 staff members, including myself. My second encounter was when she started yelling at another member of staff in the corridor in front of students and staff - I had to get out of the Office, as it made all of us uncomfortable. Three departments witnessed this and I don't know if anyone did anything but my team had to lodge a complaint about this type of behaviour. There is no sense of confidentiality - if you decide to do something and even if you haven't hold anyone but one person (whether its a Manager or someone in HR), the word will surely spread, it's appalling!

Certain members of this Institution can say one thing one minute and totally change the next. There are false promises made and only a few people seems to really understand that they are dealing with real human beings. Based on my experiences, there is no sense of culture or respect.

Based on numerous meetings I've attended, staff members speak about students as though they are worthless;
  more... some words I've heard senior staff, including Managers and even more senior staff use to describe students are just heart-breaking. They joke behind closed doors about bribing students and labelling them using condescending and unprofessional words like 'dumb', 'not smart enough', 'stupid', 'we don't like you', etc. I started documenting all of these from Day 2, when I attended a meeting and couldn't believe my ears. I also couldn't comprehend the serious breaches in privacy. I have proof of breach of privacy that I had to address these both internally and with external authorities.

My biggest lesson learned is to never take anyone's word for something unless you have it in writing. The other is to stand up for what you believe in, and expose people/Institutions for any unethical behaviour or actions. I've done my fair share of bringing their unethical practices to the right authorities, and I hope that everyone else at the Institution that advocates for students and a fair/just working environment do exactly the same.
Fast-Paced friendly environment
Records Officer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2020
University is a fast paced institution and this environment isn't for everyone however for those who welcome challenges are usually faced with many career opportunities. People are very friendly and lots of learning experiences. Some departments are understaffed but actively hiring and everyone helps one another. Lots of fun stuff for employees.
Unprofessional Toxic Environment
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 November 2019
This is probably one of the most toxic environments I've worked in. The HR staff are incredibly unequipped to handle any type of HR situation and portray themselves very unprofessionally. There is little support and training for staff, no employee reviews, and little room or internal growth. The level of turnover is extremely high.

I caution anyone who is looking into employment with this company.
Meeeh
HR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2019
Not fun, not enjoyable, not collaborative. Hardest part of the job is how it's managed. Most employees dont have any experience and the overall culture isnt great
Stealing, bullying, gossiping, lying, high turn-over, nobody cares
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 October 2019
Too many people, not enough space. Angry aggressive, inappropriate behaviour, no accountability.

When I first started working here, I really enjoyed it, people were nice and easy going and then toxic people started working here and it spread throughout. It was toxic before, but now it's bad.
Not a place to work in
Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 March 2018
Micro managed and horrific place to work.Job security is zero and the management makes sure you remember it every day. Sales driven and do not hesitate to fire people to save their back side.
Pros
nothing
Cons
it sucks.
Great Working Place and Colleagues
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  British Columbia4 October 2017
At UCW, you are truly yourself and when I am treating as family members.
A day at work starts with the tasks management. I learned how to manage my work for a day. I know the target of a day to complete.
I love this working environment!
good workplace
International Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 December 2013
I like co workers at my work place. UCW is good challening work enviornment.