University Canada West

University Canada West Employee Reviews

Good place to start building career but not long term

Pros: Great place to work in regards to management team, HR team, team leaders and other employees. A very multi-cultural and teamwork engaged environment. Perks consisted of casual Fridays and fun office held parties. If you enjoy customer service positions and a job role where you can mentor students etc. then its a great place for someone to start to build those skills and build your resume if your goal is to work in higher education. Cons: Poor business model overall. The company expanded too fast, hired too many employees within the span of a few months, therefore training lacked and company goals/targets ran very high. Employees were to make an average of 75 outgoing calls a day in addition to replying to multiple emails a day along with managing manually inputting student applications into system which was very grueling - system was not updated to match new workload balance - Basically after a while you felt like a robot just trying to make sales, the sales targets did not match up to the amount of daily work load that they wanted to output. Became a sales/call center job. All of the cons however have nothing to do with on site management, more so to do with the owners and operators of Global University Systems. All in all great workplace culture just poor company model.

Pros

Company parties, pot luck lunches, casual Fridays

Cons

High work load for the amount of pay

4 August 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience at UCW. Your feedback is important and will help us adjust our strategy to help new and current employees be better prepared for their roles.

A very unfair place to work for

It is very unfortunate that the work environment is so toxic. There is no support from the managers for you to grow. Everything is based on previous built connections with top management!

Toxic work environment

To put simply, this institution has a toxic work culture. I have never worked in an environment that is so toxic that employee morale is so low and they feel scared of certain managers. They are not true to their words and if you get in their ‘bad books’, forget about being treated well. I had was given the cold shoulder from a number of managers because I stood up and challenged the status quo. I even went straight to the top because I needed to make sure I was brave to address issues that lacked transparency. The hours are long and they have a focus on a machinist style of work. I won’t lie, there are a few nice things they try to do like celebrate your birthdays (even if you don’t consent to it); freebies like umbrellas when it’s pouring; and a hoodie if you pass your probation! (don’t ask for one prior because you won’t get it). It is very unfortunate that the work environment is so toxic because the students are great and have so much to offer and to help raise the profile of this institution and help them become a great business school.

Pros

The location is convenient

Cons

Poor pay, long hours, you work like machines

Great Experience

Helpdesk incidents and IT projects are assigned by priority. Previous work experience is a valuable asset here, multitasking becomes second nature. Team members are friendly and willing to share their knowledge with you. Never a boring day and time goes by fast.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

shared parking

Great team with lots of tough love

I worked at the company as an HR assistant for about 3 months prior to loosing my job due to COVID. It was unfortunate to have lost my job, but understandable. I wasn't upset with what happened because I really did appreciated the team for giving me opportunities to do things that were beyond the scope of what I was hired for. It was tough, but truely rewarding. I also had moments where the director would personally coach me and provide guidance on how to excel personally and professionally. It's not all rainbows and blue skies, but the team really does do their best to support you wherever they can. I'm really thankful for everything they've done for me.

Pros

Great team, amazing leadership and work environment

Friendly and supportive colleagues and lot of opportunity for growth

University Canada West is a fast paced and growing institution. There are lots of things to learn and I feel motivated to take care of different tasks regularly. Colleagues and supervisors are very friendly and supportive. They always help me when I have questions and problems. The office has a positive and friendly atmosphere as well. I am grateful to work here!

A lot of support and opportunities for growth

This university has a very positive, resourceful and inspiring work environment. The diversity of tasks sometimes do challenge but they offer loads of opportunities for growing and building up new skills through professional development. Managerial support is sustainable and positive. Operational processes are clear and well-managed. So excited and grateful to work here!

Pros

Positive approach from the co-workers, continuous support and professional development, effective communications and balanced workload

Cons

Amazing staff and lots of growth potential

Collaborative and supporting ideas are one of the main reasons why I love working here. I have seen a lot of growth within this organization and I will always recommend others about the amazing work environment.

Pros

Educational events, growth, friendly environment

Cons

Fast paced work environment

Good organisation overall, well above average as a workplace

Management that are proactive. Constant learning opportunities. Ability to work without negative feedback and no micromanaging. Fellow colleagues are very friendly and helpful.

Pros

Company benefits.

Cons

Work-life Balance

great bosses and wonderful support colleagues

I really enjoy working at UCW. UCW has great bosses and wonderful colleagues. It’s so great to work here because the bosses truly care for the employees, and I can get support whenever I need it.

Second Home

Once you work at this place, you won't be able to work anywhere else. This is a growing institution with ample amount of progressive opportunities. UCW is fast paced and technology driven, yet very relaxing environment. Almost feel like you are going from your house to your second home. Management is super cool and friendly. Supervisors are more like friends. There is a perfect balance of professionalism and cordiality within the institution. Have seen employees going an extra mile to help students. Haven't seen a place where so much of free food is given :) . Competitive salary is offered. Internal and external applicants are given fair chances at new job openings. Flexible working hours are given to maintain you work/life balance. Would never want to leave this place once you are in it.

Pros

Secure job, friendly work environment

Cons

none so far

4 August 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience at UCW. We strive to provide a work environment that fosters growth and development. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed the food.

Excellent place to work at

I have been working at UCW for almost a year now and I must say that I have loved every day of it. The work load is manageable and the management is approachable.

Pros

Close to transit and opportunity for growth

Cons

Lack of space but will improve dramatically once the Vancouver Campus is available

4 August 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience at UCW. We are happy to hear that you love working with us. We are also very excited with the opening of our Vancouver House Campus. It will be an important step in the evolution of University Canada West.

Great place to work!

UCW is a place that promotes inclusion, diversity, innovation, and collaboration. They provide professional and personal development. The President and senior management go out of their way to be open and accessible to all staff. Employee Engagement is definitely a high priority at UCW. Prior to the COVID 19 conditions being in place there was at least one type of activity every month. I feel that during this time of COVID 19 they are truly 100% concerned of the well being of their staff. I hope to work for UCW for as long as I can.

Pros

Good work life balance. Interesting work and a supportive senior management team

Cons

Tight on office, meeting room and storage space but that will change once the new Campus opens.

4 August 2020
Thank you for sharing your experiences at UCW. The personal and professional development of our staff is a big priority as we want our employees to grow with the university and fulfill their potential.We do conceded that we’ve been tight on space on campus but as you pointed out, our new Vancouver House campus will address this issue.

Lots of opportunities to grow within the organization. People are friendly. Work-life balance is okay but overtime is inevitable sometimes due to amount of workload.

4 August 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience about working at UCW. We strive to provide opportunities for growth for our employees and to keep them engaged and happy in their work.

Toxic environment

Management is very toxic, not supportive for your growth and development. They are disorganized and some treat some employees unfairly. The pay is not competitive compared to the amount of time you put into your work.

Toxic workplace

As part of Global University Systems, this university, unfortunately, honors and carries its owner's bad reputation. Micromanagement and old school management. Lack of ethics among direction and zero communication. Payment is below industry average and basic benefits. You even have to pay some of your own work tools.

Pros

Very convenient Location.

Cons

Micromanagement and other very old school ways since is part of GUS.

Fast-paced, friendly, and collaborative

By far the best place I have ever worked. Coworkers (including management) are positive, friendly, and willing to work together to get things done. Things move fast at this growing university, and the work is rewarding as the effects of a job well done are tangible.

Great learning opportunities

Worked with a great group of people. I learned so much while working at UCW. My team leader provided me with positive mentor-ship. I was supported by HR for growth in my department as well as implementing some of the ideas I came up with. My position here set me up for an amazing overseas opportunity. Its also really sad to see negative comments from people who obviously didn't get their way.

A lot of opportunities and growth

University Canada West is a private university with friendly and fast-paced environment. The staff at UCW are supportive and kind. There are a lot of opportunities and employees will be able to have a lot of self-growth from UCW. I have so much fun and have been enjoyable working at UCW.

Fast-Paced friendly environment

University is a fast paced institution and this environment isn't for everyone however for those who welcome challenges are usually faced with many career opportunities. People are very friendly and lots of learning experiences. Some departments are understaffed but actively hiring and everyone helps one another. Lots of fun stuff for employees.

Unprofessional Toxic Environment

This is probably one of the most toxic environments I've worked in. The HR staff are incredibly unequipped to handle any type of HR situation and portray themselves very unprofessionally. There is little support and training for staff, no employee reviews, and little room or internal growth. The level of turnover is extremely high. I caution anyone who is looking into employment with this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Canada West. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement