Unity Health Toronto

Unity Health Toronto Employee Reviews

Canada144 reviews
Friendly co-workers
I had very good time working with the Orthopaedics department, the nurses were very friendly and cooperative when it came to asking questions and understanding to learn tasks.
Productive and creative work environment
A creative environment working on world leading cutting edge research. There are two main building - the clinical and research (Li Ka Shing). You'll find yourself working with some of the best talents around.
Pros
Library, community events, iBEST
Cons
Expensive area to live in
Great Place
St. Joe's is a great place to work in. Amazing team and culture with many benefits and flex hours. Everyone is caring and helpful at the hospital. You will learn a lot on everyday basis.
nice co-op or volunteer experience
Did a co-op placement here in high school
great place to start working with seniors, the team leaders/managers are really nice and you work with a bunch of other people so its a great chance to meet other people interested in the same field

however, as a volunteer you aren't given a lot of responsibilities or overly important duties, so not a great learning experience, just a general view into the daily workings of a geriatrics ward
Pros
great starting experience in geriatrics
Cons
not given much responsibilities
Placement
liked working there. staff if nice. learned a lot if still there. morning are very very busy but the afternoon are very calm. work on the 5 floor amputee unit
Fast paced and high turn around caring for patients in the ED
Nurses collaborate with the multi-disciplinary team to care for patient's of all ages in an acute setting. Patients in the Emergency Department at St. Joe's Toronto come from all ethnical backgrounds
Pros
keeps the nurse on her/his toes
Cons
I live in Hamilton so the commute is tiring
Work only the time within your regular hours
Learned mostly the products and services how a hospital purchase and provide, charge the bills. There is ongoing learning and development. It is a friendly and welcoming environment.
Pros
Paid leaves for remembrance and Easter Monday
A lot of overtime
Learned a lot, management exposed to leadership discussions, information was shared and accessible. Unfortunately, reports did not match data source and stole a lot of time from analysis. This drove lots of unpaid overtime, the day was extremely tiring, did not have a chance to recover for the next day, no time for any personal outings or plans.
Pros
learning opportunities
Cons
overtime is nnormal work schedule
Work/life balance
Salary not as good but great benefits. Good work/life balance. Work load is very challenging but relationships with immediate boss and other colleagues are harmonious.
Excellent and very welcoming workplace.
During my time at St. Joseph's Healthcare I made quite a few advancements in my career and they provided a great balance between work life and personal life. The staff of professionals within the core lab were like family to me, always very friendly and teamwork oriented. They were always creating events to bring the staff together outside of work, were very social, and worked extremely well together day in and day out. For my very first job in my health care career, this facility and the people within it made a lasting impression on my heart and my decision to work in this field.
Not pleasant and very stressful
In simplest terms..if you don't suck up, you aren't going anywhere within the department or hospital setting, Management is clueless and delusional. Everybody thinks that they are the boss. Therefore, no communication is ever made and redundant mistakes always keep happening. It is pretty ridiculous what staff can get away with there. There is no control of the department. Period.

The only bright side, I was always praised by nurses for my hard work, and for correcting other staff members mistakes.
Pros
good pay
Cons
lack of teamwork, favoritism, mentally and emotionally stressful as a result of poor management team
Productive workplace
I had the opportunity to learn a lot in the company. Although they have some issues in establishing priorities, the learning atmosphere is amazing and you can acquire a lot of experience.
Learning and teaching Hospital
I was able to learn most of my EVS experiences there. It is one of the busiest hospitals in all of North America and the busiest in Canada.
It is a downtown Toronto Trauma Center where there is an operating type room in the ER department. There is a Heli pad as well as Trauma room that can handle two patients at once. It has an I.C.U. for new born babies and is one of the leading hospitals in the country.
Pros
Never a dull moment will help you learn
Cons
Never a dull moment you never know what you will encounter
Dedicated staff
All staff is focusing to provide an excellent patient care. The facility needs a capital investment because conditions of all buildings are deteriorating.

Visitors have access 24/7 access to their loved ones.
Fun learning experience
A great experience in research environment. I had the opportunity to work with dietitians, nurses and physicians to develop new clinical trials and execute them.
One of the best Rehab Centres
It was a great pleasure to write few words for Providence Health care. As a Student Nurse, it was really a great place for me to learn some of the skills and techniques. I want to be a part of it.
Lack of staffing and overcapacity
Since management has changed over the last year lots of changes have been made to unit. It is a physically heavy unit and stressful.

The ratio is 5 patients up to 6 on days, and 6 up to 7 on nights with 1 psw for both shifts. The census can range from 25 to 32 patients depending on overcapacity protocol in ER

The staff works well as a team, however due to the stressful environment of the unit there is a high turnover in staff.

It does not help that the management is not supportive of staff and has made changes to scheduling affecting work life balance
Pros
Great nursing staff and allied health, community
Cons
Long hours, never leave on time
casual employee
decent hours, decent pay, good training program, friendly environment. managers very approachable. i would still work there is i could get full time hours
Good community hospital
Work with great nursesl. Doctors are respectful of nurses that work in the ICU. Only complaint I have is the patient workload that they demand we now take due to budget deficits.
Pros
Co-workers are great
Cons
High patient acuity due to budget
Nice place to work
I am doing volunteering at Providence Healthcare. It is a very good organization. I am learning many things from this organization which is related to my field.
Pros
No lunch provide
Cons
Hour is ok
St Elsewhere
Very outdated equipment and old looking facility with a poor culture. There was little education and orientation provided. I didn't even have my own desk.
Pros
Pay is fair
Cons
Poor culture and orientation
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unity Health Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.
Unity Health Toronto Reviews by Location