Unity Health Toronto

Unity Health Toronto Employee Reviews

Canada141 reviews
Friendly co-workers
I had very good time working with the Orthopaedics department, the nurses were very friendly and cooperative when it came to asking questions and understanding to learn tasks.
Exciting and fast-paced high-stress workplace
8 Hour days fly by in any emergency room, managing people moving in, out and up of the ER is tough, high-stress, and not for the faint of heart or stomach.

Work is steady, and often life or death, however at the end of the day (which sometimes extends if it is really busy) you leave work and feel like even if you didn't physically save a life, you contributed to helping someone who was sick or hurt.
Productive, fast-paced environment
Amazing co-workers, very friendly.
Very fast paced environment. Some days busier than others. New equipment in main department. Digital mobile machine, new C-arm.
Productive and fun workplace with great potential for career growth.
I learned that I have the passion of providing sincere supportive care to seniors and elderly persons while working in this facility. I value the opportunity each day that I can make seniors feel loved and cared for. It is very rewarding to see the smiles on their faces at the end of my shift, a sign of gratitude from them.
Pros
Hands on training as a Personal Attendant.
workplace where you get to make people happy
A typical work day was me interacting with seniors , making them feel welcome , getting them what they want like food or water. I gained a lot of communication skills ,i learned how to interact with different kinds of people from the grumpy ones to the sad ones.I really learned how to react to certain situations that occur during my work hours & solve problems. My co-workers were always in a positive motive really energetic and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was taking the seniors for a walk. The most enjoyable part of the job was trying to entertain the seniors
Pros
free lunches, working with seniors
Cons
long hours, bad smell
Nurse at Rehab Floor
I was responsible for 5-7 patients, which included providing daily care, medications, overall assessments, transcribing medications.
I have learnt how to work in a team setting.

Co-workers were a team. We always helped each other in difficult situations

The hardest part of the job was it was part-time. Thus, it was very difficult to know clients as per nurse-client relationship.

the enjoyable part of the job is that we all worked as a team. so even in stressful circumstances, i did not find it stressful, because there was always co-workers and manager to guide and help me
Pros
pot luck lunches
Cons
part time
Fun place to work
Worked as a consultant on a short-term project. A great place to work - was challenged and motivated
exciting and fun being with the residence
As a International educated nurse a typical day at work in Providence healthcare gives me an idea how the health system in Canada works. It gives me the feeling of excitement since I came there as a volunteer giving meal assistance to the residence during their meals.

I learned how to appreciate my field, Nursing. I was assigned to Alzheimer's patients and I had the opportunity not only to apply the correct intervention in certain situations but learn to appreciate life most of all.

The management I worked with gives me the room to grow and show me how the system works. I enjoy their company for they also shared their experiences.

Like the management, co-workers gave you the room to gain confidence and patience in team-building environment.

First day were always been the hardest part of the job since your start to create a system to prioritize things according to their needs.

Being in a team-building environment made me realized that this job are more enjoyable and made me feel at home.
Pros
free coffee
I can develop more experience regarding Dietary Aide
The management are accommodating with their staff.
Follow all the rules regarding the safetyness of employees while working.

My co-workers are very cooperative with each other.

There is a time pressure to finish all the duties.

Enjoyable part is when you are serving with retired people.
Pros
You can talked to the residence
Cons
Limited time in doing the duties.
It is a decent place to work.
Front-line workers don't receive that much benefits as they should.
Pros
different entrances
Cons
no free-parking
A great place to work
I give it an A for its management and I would like to go back to work there someday in Toronto, possibly as a Medical Secretary.
Flexible work hours and assignments
As a volunteer at Providence I was able to select the type of work I wanted and the days / hours I was able to come in to work.
Pros
Helping others, close to home
Cons
didn't pay
productive unit.
Patient care followed evidence based practice, had value for professionalism.
Pros
Evidence based practice
Cons
Job insecurity
Fun work place working with great people
- came into work
- punched myself into the system

- did some friendly visiting

- helped some of the residents with meal assistance

- punched out
MRI Technologist Intern
A typical day of work would include screenig patients to make sure that they are safe to enter the MRI scanner. Then I would explain the procedure to the patient stating (length of scan, any preparations, etc.) I would set up an intravenous if it was a contrast injection exam. The I would perform the procedure using the MRI scanner and talk to the patient in between scans. The hardest part of the job is keeping on schedule, and helping the patient get through claustrophobia moments. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with patients and other health care professionals
All in all an enjoyable and interesting work experience with a half-decent pay rate and mostly nice people.
I give St. Joseph's a 4/5 with the one drawback being I was denied the option of working from home when my husband became ill and therefore was forced to submit my resignation.
Pros
interesting work.
Cons
commute.
High Placed Environment for Learning and Experience
Very busy, focused, fast-paced, high responsibility, multi-tasking environment. The managers are there to support you when they are available. It is a multi-disciplinary environment comprised of doctors, surgeorns, residents, nurses, scrub technologists, PSA's, anesthesiologists, nurse anesthesia, PACU RN's, RT's, Radiologists, students, residents, company representatives, etc.... I loved learning new up to date surgical techniques, exploring the human body inside and out and learning how everything works, being there hands on inside a human body. The hardest part was working with the multi-disciplinary teams and trying to keep patient flow as sometimes other departments were not up to speed and it held back OR times and patients and sometimes resulted in cancellations of patient for the day.
Pros
learning consistently from a variety of disciplines, busy, fast paced enviroment, shifts went quickly.
Cons
death of patients, no personal life, always working overtime due to staffing.
Dealing with patients that are need of care
. Dealing with patients that have been in the hospital for a long period of time.
. How to deal with patients, when they are very sick, and get a smile on the face.

. When you see patients that do not want to talk to you, and they want you to leave.

When patients say thank you for getting me a blanket, and fixing my bed upright and helping them fill out their menu for the next day
student nurse
7-730 getting reports for 5-6 patients
730-1200 providing care to patients, administering medications, getting them ready for therapy, assisting with AM care.

1200-1230 lunch

1230-1500- doing other chores, like administering afternoon meds, answering call bellls, changing wound dressing, other medical procedures.

I loved working at providence with the team, it was enjoyable and fun. The hardest part of the job was not getting paid because i was a student.
Pros
i loved working as a student nurse
Cons
not enough hours, no pay
Very productive and Fun Experience
Gained knowledge in applying and removing dressings, assessing condition of the wound prior to further treatment. Consulting with physicians for further orders when problems were identified. Interacting with other departments (medical records, radiology, service coordination) to obtain the resources needed to assist in patient care, charting, documentation and maintaining accurate notes and records, and establishing effective helping relationships with patient and family.
It was an excellent place to work: friendly, learnt a lot and improved my skills at work.
The management was excellent and very supportive. Excellent benefits was given and the work environment was very friendly and exhibited a characteristic of team players.
Good listener, and very helpful towards achieving assigned goal.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks, less staff.