Unity Health Toronto

Unity Health Toronto Employee Reviews for Volunteer

Volunteer9 reviews
Canada9 reviews
Productive volunteer experience with the elderly
At Providence Healthcare I was trained by experienced staff members who were kind and informative about specific tasks we have to perform. Such as guiding the elderly to activities, feeding them, and perform tasks for them such as get them colouring books, bringing them bingo cards, etc. The workplace also held fun events for the elders such as dances and encouraged the volunteers to join which made it a more comfortable experience. The hardest part of the job would be when we difficulty calming down the elderly, however, it was fulfilling when we were able to successfully resolve their dilemmas. The most enjoyable part is learning about the elderly's life stories and learning to be patient and productive with the tasks at hand.
very interesting experience
I got to know what I really want to do in the future which is to be a nurse. I get to experience feeding adult people and sharing stories to them. I also was able to know the important role of being a nurse.
Pros
free food and beverage
Cons
sometimes it gets boring
nice co-op or volunteer experience
Did a co-op placement here in high school
great place to start working with seniors, the team leaders/managers are really nice and you work with a bunch of other people so its a great chance to meet other people interested in the same field

however, as a volunteer you aren't given a lot of responsibilities or overly important duties, so not a great learning experience, just a general view into the daily workings of a geriatrics ward
Pros
great starting experience in geriatrics
Cons
not given much responsibilities
Productive and Educational workplace
Hands on environment that helped create understanding for ongoing medical problems. Strong culture established from top of management which lead to strong work ethic.
very good workplace
very organized and they give importance about the safety practice of all employees as well as their values. most fulfilling part of being a volunteer is that I am able to learn and help the elderly without expecting in return.
Quiet place, watching movies and escorting residents afterwards.
Providence is a lovely residence, with nice residents and a friendly staff. Volunteering there was decent and only required kindness and patience when communicating and assisting the elderly.
Pros
Wasnt too difficult
Cons
was at night around 7pm. Would be home by 9:30
exciting and fun being with the residence
As a International educated nurse a typical day at work in Providence healthcare gives me an idea how the health system in Canada works. It gives me the feeling of excitement since I came there as a volunteer giving meal assistance to the residence during their meals.

I learned how to appreciate my field, Nursing. I was assigned to Alzheimer's patients and I had the opportunity not only to apply the correct intervention in certain situations but learn to appreciate life most of all.

The management I worked with gives me the room to grow and show me how the system works. I enjoy their company for they also shared their experiences.

Like the management, co-workers gave you the room to gain confidence and patience in team-building environment.

First day were always been the hardest part of the job since your start to create a system to prioritize things according to their needs.

Being in a team-building environment made me realized that this job are more enjoyable and made me feel at home.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Flexible work hours and assignments
As a volunteer at Providence I was able to select the type of work I wanted and the days / hours I was able to come in to work.
Pros
Helping others, close to home
Cons
didn't pay
Fun work place working with great people
- came into work
- punched myself into the system

- did some friendly visiting

- helped some of the residents with meal assistance

- punched out