Unity Health Toronto

Unity Health Toronto Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Registered Nurse14 reviews
Excellent workplace culture and management support.
Excellent workplace culture with approachable management and constant professional support.
Great learning environment with great opportunities for professional growth.
Great team environment
Great team, lots of support. Fast pace and ever changing patient population. Lots of critical patients with the potential to learn and advance nursing practice.
productive and can be a nice place depending on the area you work in
there is a work culture at SMH. It's basically a healthcare facility, therefore, it is complex and fast-paced. If you want to move up it can be difficult depending on many social and institutional factors.
Employee experience
Very mixed culture. Everyone is approachable, its ok to ask questions, great teamwork. I worked in many units in the hospital and enjoyed my time at each one.
unfortunately not a very dynamic place to work these days
A typical work day the majority of the time is short staffed. My current work area is just getting over a crisis with the previous manager of the area. She has been removed and a new Manager has taken over.

The hardest part of the job is to work hard and feel that it has not been recognized.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to work with supportive co-workers and to work as a team
Pros
the hospital has good compassionate staff in the religious support
Cons
very long hrs. caring for chronic patients
Loved this Place
I would never have left if I didn't have to leave the city of Toronto. Great culture, amazing co-workers trustworthy managers. I wish I could go back...
Fast paced and high turn around caring for patients in the ED
Nurses collaborate with the multi-disciplinary team to care for patient's of all ages in an acute setting. Patients in the Emergency Department at St. Joe's Toronto come from all ethnical backgrounds
Pros
keeps the nurse on her/his toes
Cons
I live in Hamilton so the commute is tiring
Lack of staffing and overcapacity
Since management has changed over the last year lots of changes have been made to unit. It is a physically heavy unit and stressful.

The ratio is 5 patients up to 6 on days, and 6 up to 7 on nights with 1 psw for both shifts. The census can range from 25 to 32 patients depending on overcapacity protocol in ER

The staff works well as a team, however due to the stressful environment of the unit there is a high turnover in staff.

It does not help that the management is not supportive of staff and has made changes to scheduling affecting work life balance
Pros
Great nursing staff and allied health, community
Cons
Long hours, never leave on time
Good community hospital
Work with great nursesl. Doctors are respectful of nurses that work in the ICU. Only complaint I have is the patient workload that they demand we now take due to budget deficits.
Pros
Co-workers are great
Cons
High patient acuity due to budget
good working environment
I have learnt many things about rehabilitation. very friendly workplace culture. the traditional method of charting very time-consuming. staff very helpful to students.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
N?A
Community experience
Great community sensibility but major staffing and management issues. Due to low income area, emergency is always packed. Building is due for many renovations and upgrades. Overall, good experience but highly do not recommend for personal long term satisfaction
Cons
Understaffing, and management issues
Providence overall is an excellent place to work where there is lots of learning opportunities and fortifying nursing skills. On the down side, job security and advancement is difficult.
Nurse at Rehab Floor
I was responsible for 5-7 patients, which included providing daily care, medications, overall assessments, transcribing medications.
I have learnt how to work in a team setting.

Co-workers were a team. We always helped each other in difficult situations

The hardest part of the job was it was part-time. Thus, it was very difficult to know clients as per nurse-client relationship.

the enjoyable part of the job is that we all worked as a team. so even in stressful circumstances, i did not find it stressful, because there was always co-workers and manager to guide and help me
Pros
pot luck lunches
Cons
part time
productive unit.
Patient care followed evidence based practice, had value for professionalism.
Pros
Evidence based practice
Cons
Job insecurity