Unity Health Toronto

Unity Health Toronto Employee Reviews

Canada152 reviews

hospitalpatientnursevolunteerstafflearningworkplacehealth

Good workplace

Pros:Work environment and culture; flexible work schedule and ability to work from home;Cons:Salary could better; contract jobs have no benefits or vacation time

Know your work politics and you will have the job

Management does not care. but can show it does. Feedback does not matter. Politics helps hang on to the job. Stay away if you cannot handle politics. Hard work is not appreciated. Any concerns are tossed back at you, its all a game of words.

Insights into Unity Health Toronto

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Don’t work here

Unless you enjoy a culture of toxicity and retaliation for speaking up about safety issues. Management will target you if you question them in any way about safety and will deny any knowledge of reported safety concerns.

Pros

Very good benefits

Cons

Toxic management

Good co workers & management, hospital staff suck

My co workers were amazing and the management + pay was awesome. Hospital staff that were not part of my department were rude and mean to us most of the time. Stressful when busy but everyone was there to help each other so that was good.

Stable job but can be stressful

Pros - I love my co-workers and we work very well as a team assisting clients.Cons - It can be stressful, it's long shifts, and management is fairly absent leaving staff to be very independent.

Toxic Environment/Management Doesn't Care

They don't even treat their own employees right, don't expect them to treat you right either. With the management neglecting their staff, it translates into the healthcare you are given, without care, because management has given them no incentive to do otherwise. Management consistently ignores safety implementation requests from staff ensuring that repeated safety issue arise basically on the daily. Floor staff are not consulted leaving people who work at a desk making decisions on renovations. So now, for example, you can get trapped in the ER waiting room during violent situations because of it's new bottleneck style. They will come up with one small change and ignore the big ones that have been brought up for months, even years at this point. The NFA population is given needles right outside the ER, littering biohazards at every entrance, or all throughout the staff parking lot which is for some reason open to the public despite the constant issues. The parking stairwell looks like a war zone on a good day, and is not safe.

It’s a good place to work

I enjoy the environment here my coworkers are excellent the work load now it’s bearable of course there’s always some bad apples in every department but I’m pretty sure it’s everywhere

The CEO gave himself a $300,000 raise over 3 years while the clinical staff work super hard and don’t get the benefits and pay they deserve

Management and C-suite team are out of touch. Like almost everything, their motives are driven and determined by money, not by improving the workplace or by creating a compassionate, organized or respectful place to work. There is an air of not caring about the quality of work being done. There is no job security

The environment was welcoming and friendly. Management has been pretty good so far and scheduling is flexible. Pay is decent, and there are opportunities to transfer within the company.

Stay away from 2LM

Horrible experience. Hired to work in 2LM department. Insufficient training provided, processes are not properly explained. I was expected to know how to work alone in the unit after a week. I was made to feel incompetent for wanting more than 5 days training. Management is awful, including head nurse and senior admin staff. They will talk about your performance amongst themselves, in an in professional manner while you and others can clearly hear their conversation. Do not take notes to help you prepare because apparently that is wrong. I truly don’t think the staff even care about the patients they are supposedly taking care of. Any form of kindness or customer service skills you exhibit towards patients or their families was unwelcome. I learned after from other staff that this department has a problem holding on to their admin staff and it is clear why. I have many years experience in customer service based and management roles and this was the most horrendous job I have ever had.

Pros

Cons

Unprofessional management, insignificant training

good

a typical day at work - fairwhat you learned - lots of learningmanagement - fairworkplace culture - fairthe hardest part of the job - project go livethe most enjoyable part of the job - good

Educational, inspiring

Working with the ICAP has provided opportunities for spiritual growth, emotional growth and advocating for the Indigenous Community. It has been a wonderful experience with many learning opportunities. The ICAP is truly inspiring.

Lots of room for improvement, not only as a singular unit, but as an entire corporation.

Some nice staff there, but a lot of unprofessional behaviour. Values do not align with their profession at all, half the staff is strained and stressed the other acts completely unprofessional, and unbecoming of the profession.

The work environment is challenging

The work environment is challenging, fast paced and often times stressful. Staff can be challenging at times. Shifts are 12 hours but the benefit is you only work 2 weeks a month.

Supervisor

Poor conditions at the workplace. I felt that the time that I gave to the company was heavily undervalued. I was cast as aside for things that were beyond my control

Great Team - Toxic Management!

I managed a fantastic dedicated IT support team, however, management was toxic! Played favorites, did not take recommendations for change or advise - insisted their way was the only way to do the job. Could not talk in what they considered brainstorming sessions, could only listen to the director and not provide any suggestions or even talk! I was hired to implement change and to revamp their systems, ended up managing a support team and had no real authority or support to implement change management or improvements

Friendly co-workers

I had very good time working with the Orthopaedics department, the nurses were very friendly and cooperative when it came to asking questions and understanding to learn tasks.

Excellent workplace culture and management support.

Excellent workplace culture with approachable management and constant professional support. Great learning environment with great opportunities for professional growth.

Good Place to Work

Smaller community hospital with excellent physicians and staff. Pay and benefits are fair but not a lot of room for advancement. Some areas are very dated; facilities and equipment

Productive, fast paced work environment with very friendly people

I worked at St. Michael's Hospital for a year and it was a wonderful experience. Taught me a lot about time management and working as a team to get patients the best care possible. It is a wonderful institution to work for.

productive and can be a nice place depending on the area you work in

there is a work culture at SMH. It's basically a healthcare facility, therefore, it is complex and fast-paced. If you want to move up it can be difficult depending on many social and institutional factors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unity Health Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement