United Way Employee Reviews

Competitive
Volunteer, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Canada14 February 2018
Competitive among team members but everyone is there for a purpose and is non-judgemental. Manager was sincere, genuine and has integrity. Took me on as a back-to-work placement
Culture makes UW the best place to be
Sponsored Executive (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 February 2018
A Sponsored Executive term is just over 3 months long, but in that time I met some of my new best friends, made amazing contacts throughout the city of Winnipeg, and enjoyed the most challenging / rewarding job of my career.
Working with other representatives from a variety of industries to complete a single task is a unique experience that will be not had elsewhere.
The full time staff (year round, not term) are all very supportive and willing to help term employees adapt and grow as quickly as possible.
Very friendly environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 February 2018
Due to my work in UW I have learned much about the community I live in and the challenges of other people who you may not interact with in everyday life.Also, it is pleasure to work in such a friendly environment where you receive a lot of support, assistance and positive emotions.
Leadership challenges
Planner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2018
Unfortunately the leadership lack the skills and vision to land the new way of working. Poor communication and transparency and lack of respect for employee's work/life balance has led to a toxic workplace environment.
Committed staff to community support
Manager, GOC Workplace-National campaign (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 January 2018
Sincere and committed staff who want to optimize community support services and make the donor contributions as targeted and have the greatest impact possible.
Rewarding
Community Development & Campaign Officer NE Region (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC18 January 2018
A strong community development organization that's mission is to increase the capacity to support more programs. UWNBC is well positioned in the community with a strong understanding of the issues to bring about long-term solutions and all your efforts will help us to continue to have greater impact addressing some of the most compelling issues in the community; our chapter (UWNBC) increases the capacity for not for profits to deliver local programs.
The work environment is dynamic and always changing.
The annual campaign requires a lot of focus and self-drive.
I enjoy seeing the incredible benefits to the community in investing in community service programs that has more than one focus and addresses so many needs for citizens.
Pros
Can work independently
Its a good place to experience working for a NGO
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 January 2018
It is truly an awesome place to work. You grow and learn and have fun while all the while you get to help others in a meaningful way to better their lives in any way you can. It is a truly rewarding experience and the management and everyone you work with are very helpful and everyone works together and there is no mistreatment or abuse of any kind. Everyone is respected and valued and the environment is really great to work in. Thank-you and have a blessed day.
Fantastic Summer Opportunity
Summer Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 January 2018
Working at the United Way in St. Catharines & District was a wonderful opportunity that taught discipline, fundraising, how to build relationships and teamwork.
Great Environment Great People & Great Cause
Volunteer Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON29 December 2017
My time at United Way is never wasted and my skills and contributions are always appreciated, recognized and have valuable impact. The team you work with is reliable and supportive in everything.
Pros
Trainimg opportunities, inclusive workplace
Great staff, doing great things, helping great people
Part of the Operations group (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 December 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed working here the last 5+ years. My coworkers all want to work here for the right reasons - that means we have a kind, hard-working, inspired, motivated staff.

Pros
- great relationships amongst coworkers
- my immediate supervisor has given me full support in the challenging work I do, whether it be from an advisory role, providing the technology required, or just the space and time needed to complete the project. LOTS of opportunity for interpersonal and professional growth.
- executive team go out of their way (monthly all-staff meetings, e-mails) to keep us informed of direction, on-going projects, recognition of accomplishments, and a path for feedback if we so wish.
- monthly social activities

Cons
None.

It's a great place to work.
Was a great organization.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary6 October 2017
Depending on where you work, it can be a great place to work. However, leadership in the organization is not as strong as it once was. Direction is not clear and lacks transparency. Communication is weak to nonexistent. As a result, there is higher staff turnover and low morale.

United Way is a great organization but, sadly, I would not recommend. At least not right now.
Pros
Had great work-life balance benefits
Cons
Leadership
Productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 September 2017
A productive place to work. There is a good work life balance. You are very involved in fundraising, community events and workshops. A great opportunity to be a part of a team changing lives and impacting communities, setting out to making them better.
Gen Next
Gen Next Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2017
Gen Next is a great initiative put on by United Way. It focuses on educating young professionals about the social issues present in the community. PwC has created a division of this initiative specifically for its employees.
Fun Co-workers,
United way Employee (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE7 September 2017
When I started with United Way it seemed to be a happy place to work. as a few weeks time unfolded there was a new CEO hired and it truly was a pleasure to go to work each day, That CEO included each staff member as Team player. Only a year later he was offered another oportunity in another Province. The next CEO restructured the job duties which resulted in some staff changes.

The reason I gave such a low rating on Management in above overall rating is due to the fact I only worked a few weeks with the last CEO.
Pros
Safe worksite
I had a Wonderful experience working for United way
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 September 2017
Working at United Way you feel like you are contributing to the community. It was an excellent learning experience. There is a learning environment and people are very supportive at work. Everyday you are expected to keep busy and take on responsibilities.

All the employees are easy to get along with and very helpful. This is an amazing company to work for. They were very flexible with personal schedules and life events. The environment of the company is very friendly and the team is very supportive. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and the ambiance of the office keeps you enthusiastic.

Teamwork and collaboration were key in this work environment. Also, an incredible place to network. Some very dedicated people and many dedicated staff members. They're working hard to create a corporate culture that supports collaboration and development.
Pros
Connecting with the community
Cons
UWPR is a home away from home!
Volunteer, Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 August 2017
UWPR is a home away from home! Every day at work is a unique experience which is both exciting and challenging,team members display an exceptionally positive attitude with a drive for excellence.
Pros
Excellent Workplace Culture
Very good co-workers.
Data Entry Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2017
Good learning experience. I learned a lot from my seniors and they are supportive especially when they are training me. The most enjoyable part of the job is when there are events for charitable purposes.
It was a great place to work.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2017
Co-workers were friendly and genuine. They always had time to help me with my work. I felt like part of the family. Whenever I had a problem or an issue there was more than one person that I could go to to get it resolved.
Pros
Friendly and supportive co-workers
Cons
I was on contract and there was no possibility of becoming permanent.
Busy fast paced organization
Engagement Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2017
The work United Way of Calgary and Area does, and their contribution to the community are amazing. However the current leadership and direction of United Way is struggling. There have been numerous re-orgs, unfulfilled promises and a misguided direction.

It was a great place to work, and will likely get back there in a few years, but I would not recommend starting here at this time.
Pros
Decent Pay and Benefits, downtown location
Cons
Poor management, poor culture
fun to be part of their team
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2017
It has an amazing mission and vision of their organization. It helps all community members of Ontario. It is well organized and has great reviews in general.