United Way

United Way Employee Reviews

Canada134 reviews
Open, collaborative environment with strong Leadership, values and mission. A great team to be a part of, and would highly recommend working here...It was very rewarding!
United Way partnered with my TRY program for Youth Work Training, I made an effort to make as much as key chains as I could and treated it as it was my job. Thank you for the experience United Way!
Working at United Way was great as management was nice and the people were all so nice. We were given good work and learned a lot during our time there.
I loved the opportunity to become a sponsored executive. I was very grateful to have had the opportunity to learn about the corporation and get hands-on experience working in a not for profit organization.
I feel lucky to be involved in an organization that focuses on community and donor engagement. Working at the United Way has been a great experience, overall.
productive and fun team, safe environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is running campaigns. The workplace culture is amazing, flexible and helpful
Terrible Working Environment. They do not want anyone to talk unless it is
about work. Have to take breaks and lunch all at the same time. Makes you feel guilty if you need to use the bathroom.
Opportunity to build wide skill set and learn independence and confidence. Work within and for the local community and looks great on a resume/portfolio.
Pros
independence, skill building
Cons
high level of responsibility, low pay
Great place to work and learn, You will definitely walk away with a wealth of knowledge and experience. To work or volunteer will benefit anyone that wants to work in a non profit organization.
Retirement home feel. Organization full of long-term employees as staff get comfortable and never leave. Extensive use of volunteers while staff enjoy excellent pay, benefits and generous paid time off. Some managers are not competent in their work but get job security through nepotism. Support good social causes but payroll eats up donations. The organization needs to get leaner and more efficient or else donors may start questioning why staff makes more and work less than them. Government should stop funding to test the competency of high-paying executives in fundraising.
Able to understand Waterloo region community's needs. Provide help by doing fieldtrip to the local stores to show support. In the office, reorganized and reconciliate data into a new system.
The work is really great, the people you work with are also really great, it was just an overall awesome experience. You meet a lot of influential people and gain a lot of experience from this job.
They don't practice what they preach. Work life balance is non existent. Success depends on who likes you and who your supervisor is not how well you do your job. Many employees are unqualified or inept at their jobs, even feared by other staff, but can continue to keep their jobs if the higher-ups like them. Management style is old school.
It’s interesting work but a poor work environment. Senior management often fails to act strategically and has ever changing priorities that make it difficult for staff to be effective.
I didn't work here the United way popped up because it was mentioned in work experience and now i have to type until this screen lets me pass so here is a huge waste of letters. Thanks.
I learned a lot of office procedures such as faxing and photocopying i learned how to plan meetings and schedule events such as bbq's ,fun days working as a resident convenor and i met a lot of wonderful people.
Pros
amazing work hours
Cons
1 year contract which doesnt give you the current experience of 2 plus year people look for
Working with United Way allowed me to see the community through a different, often unseen lens/perspective. Though the office culture can be a little stagnant and the advancement limited, the by-product of engaging with community and helping make real change happen is one of the positive aspects of working for this organization.
There is a definite need for management to do better job of retaining and engaging good talent and better aligning that talent to the overall strategy. Workplace culture does lag due to a lack of investment in human potential and growth within the organization.

The work-life balance is good, the benefits are good, and the vacation and pension are the reason that many people choose to stay put.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Office culture/no room for advancement
I thoroughly enjoyed completing my placement at United Way of Simcoe Muskoka. I have developed so much growth and have had a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend this work environment and the positivity or working together as a team.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Ending Placement
As a youth volunteer I felt that I had a lot of support from my peers and also senior staff working at United Way. I was always welcome with a smile and felt that the work we were doing was worthwhile.
An amazing team to work with, everyone helps you learn and develop skills you did not have before. I would highly recommend this place for everyone to try.
enjoying working with team, learning the workplace culture and management; the most important part is you are dealing with people in the heart of the communities.
Pros
being involved in the heart of community
Cons
enjoy working long hour