United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

run away fast
tech 4 (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 May 2019
never work for this company. you are just a number. they don't care about you. do anything wrong and you are out. I was hurt by them forcing to gloves , was pulled into mechanism , cut finger. So they fired me. nice hey.
Pros
Cons
the list is to long
Nothing but a number
Truck Driver - Class 1 (Former Employee) –  Ontario18 February 2019
Trust me you are nothing but a number to this company go go go go as fast as you can but do it safe who cares if you work 14 hours a day everyday sleep deprived and exhausted go faster but make sure every move you make is safe then when you make a small mistake boom your fired. If you don’t do exactly what they ask you to do you better have a very good explanation with witnesses and their contact info to prove yourself.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits
Cons
Long hours, worked like a robot
Ok, people were nice
Reception and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 February 2019
It was an easy job for me, not too hectic. Management was perfect and I got along quite well with all my co-workers.

It was a fun environment.

I had a variety of duties to perform daily which made for a pleasant days' work and all there were extremely helpful and supportive.

The branch eventually closed and all were laid off or transferred to a different branch.
Pros
pleasant working environment
1935 mind set of bigotry
Unanimous (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2019
Management are bigots, simple, does not represent Canadian values, openness and acceptance of all peoples no matter race or crid.
Well qualified candidates are left out for amateurs.
You will be fired for refusing an unsafe task, manager will seek other excuses to kick you out of the door in a heart beat.
Pros
Big name
Cons
Small mind set
A very fast paced and inclusive work place
Branch Manager, Eastern Canada (Former Employee) –  Eastern Canada21 January 2019
Branch Manager, Eastern Canada (Regional Manager-equivalent) 2016—2019
Scope: Oversaw 58 branches in company’s Tools Specialty E-Canada division. Reported to US District Manager.
Staff Oversight: Directed Operations Manager with complement of 11 staff (management and technicians).
Budget: Oversaw portfolio valued at $11M in inventory, generating approximately $15M in annual sales.
Managed specialty tools, supply and distribution, and maximized related retail sales and revenue in Ontario, Quebec, Maritimes and Nfld/Labrador, which included branch activity as well as capital projects/plant shut-downs.
Good
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2019
Typical day at work: long hours
What you learned: Different application.
Management: competetive
Workplace culture: not good
THe hardest part of the job: going in side the trenches.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Meeting new customers.
Pros
Travel
Not open for growth
EQUIPMENT COORDINATOR / HEALTH AND SAFETY CHAMPION (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB4 December 2018
Company hires only people they know (family members, cousins, friends of friends)

Those promoted are not promoted for their hard work, rather for who they know.
Pros
none?
Cons
if you are not in the click, you are on your way out the door
Political and high turn over
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
Worked in the job for two weeks when they cleaned shop. I was suppose to have 3 days of training but it turned into 4 hours. No one was interested in providing education or hands on training. As time went along, another manager was hired. A fairly nice older and knowledgeable man that turned into a corporate push over. The problems were from the institution and not the people. The shop guys were very clicky and made it difficult to get anything done if they did not like you. Friends were always getting new positions or promotions. Simply put, if you have trouble fitting in, there will be no space for you. I do not believe many of the people I have worked with are still with the company and I think that says a lot. Inside sales are expected to have a cell phone and laptop, making you on call at any time. Ot can be paid out but frowned on. Salesman were pretty cut throat. Saw some ugliness from other departments and knew about lawsuits. My opinion is you may want to look elsewhere. This company is big, and is concerned about investors. Their strategy is to buy up the competition but this provides a false bottom. Company may seem stronger than it actually is.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Managers, corporate and greed mentality
Good work experience
Service Technician I (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 November 2018
fast passed and challenging work. You need to be able handle the company ways and need to watch out for yourself. Because the company won't.
The people there are for the most part the most enjoyable part of work. Lots to learn from them. There is room to grow, if you meet their requirements of what they want.
Benefits
Cons
corporate shenanigans
Bon environnement de travail
Associe aux equipements (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 November 2018
Entreprise soucieuse de la sécurité de tous
Bon environnement de travail bonne entente entre collègues de travail
Direction à l écoute des employés
Employees treat the public with disrespect
Natural Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON25 September 2018
there is no hope for anyone in this company, your coworkers are lazy, disrespectful morons, your supervisors do not help with public relations, the equipment condition is unsatisfactory - don't think you are getting anywhere here.
Cons
Bad Reputation
good
Truck Driver - Class 1 (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 September 2018
good place to work at times, expected to do more than you're capable of, pretty much can't have a life, they expect united rentals to come first over anything.
Excellent
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 July 2018
Excellent
Great company to work for. Well managed. Know their business
Great sales development and team motivation. Specialize in the industry and live and breath the business.
HIghly recommended.
United Rentals
Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 July 2018
Great place to work, 7 on 7 off, great co-workers, everyone gets along with everyone, they are willing to train you, very reasonable management, willing to work with your family schedule
Pros
7 on 7 off
Cons
lots of people
good company
Customer Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB13 June 2018
good company to work for based upon benefits. lateral movement within the division - moving to a different division you must apply and attend interview.
not sure
Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 April 2018
above average pay and benefits, long hours.
I would rather not be doing this review but it seems to be mandatory on this page. i'm not really sure what else to say.
Pros
above average pay and benefits
Great Steady Place
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta11 March 2018
I was given the means to excel at my position with room for growth. Field Service Department was well structured and we were flown around the province and country for training and support; as well as to provide emergency support for other branches.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Inconsistant Management Personel
worked by myself mostly
Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan12 February 2018
worked by myself mostly and outside, organized the yard , load and unload trucks washed equipment , I helped the mechanics when they needed me, I enjoyed showing customers how to operate the equipment & I liked dealing with customers
Pros
always busy
Cons
working by my self all the time
My first out of town job
Heating Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2018
They really hooked it up again with the job. We started out at the cold lake air weapons range and that was my first out of town experience. The company is owned by polish and they tend to keep their kind around. Some of them are very stubborn, but if you do your job and keep to yourself then you’re laughing!!
somewhat good
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 January 2018
I worked here for 2.5 years, had alot of conflict with the acting manager, did not get along, he was not a good manager
however the people were great!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Rentals, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.