United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

1935 mind set of bigotry
Unanimous (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2019
Management are bigots, simple, does not represent Canadian values, openness and acceptance of all peoples no matter race or crid.
Well qualified candidates are left out for amateurs.
You will be fired for refusing an unsafe task, manager will seek other excuses to kick you out of the door in a heart beat.
Pros
Big name
Cons
Small mind set
Not open for growth
EQUIPMENT COORDINATOR / HEALTH AND SAFETY CHAMPION (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB4 December 2018
Company hires only people they know (family members, cousins, friends of friends)

Those promoted are not promoted for their hard work, rather for who they know.
Pros
none?
Cons
if you are not in the click, you are on your way out the door
Political and high turn over
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
Worked in the job for two weeks when they cleaned shop. I was suppose to have 3 days of training but it turned into 4 hours. No one was interested in providing education or hands on training. As time went along, another manager was hired. A fairly nice older and knowledgeable man that turned into a corporate push over. The problems were from the institution and not the people. The shop guys were very clicky and made it difficult to get anything done if they did not like you. Friends were always getting new positions or promotions. Simply put, if you have trouble fitting in, there will be no space for you. I do not believe many of the people I have worked with are still with the company and I think that says a lot. Inside sales are expected to have a cell phone and laptop, making you on call at any time. Ot can be paid out but frowned on. Salesman were pretty cut throat. Saw some ugliness from other departments and knew about lawsuits. My opinion is you may want to look elsewhere. This company is big, and is concerned about investors. Their strategy is to buy up the competition but this provides a false bottom. Company may seem stronger than it actually is.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Managers, corporate and greed mentality
Good work experience
Service Technician I (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 November 2018
fast passed and challenging work. You need to be able handle the company ways and need to watch out for yourself. Because the company won't.
The people there are for the most part the most enjoyable part of work. Lots to learn from them. There is room to grow, if you meet their requirements of what they want.
Benefits
Cons
corporate shenanigans
Bon environnement de travail
Associe aux equipements (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 November 2018
Entreprise soucieuse de la sécurité de tous
Bon environnement de travail bonne entente entre collègues de travail
Direction à l écoute des employés
Employees treat the public with disrespect
Natural Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON25 September 2018
there is no hope for anyone in this company, your coworkers are lazy, disrespectful morons, your supervisors do not help with public relations, the equipment condition is unsatisfactory - don't think you are getting anywhere here.
Cons
Bad Reputation
good
Truck Driver - Class 1 (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 September 2018
good place to work at times, expected to do more than you're capable of, pretty much can't have a life, they expect united rentals to come first over anything.
good company
Customer Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB13 June 2018
good company to work for based upon benefits. lateral movement within the division - moving to a different division you must apply and attend interview.
Great Steady Place
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta11 March 2018
I was given the means to excel at my position with room for growth. Field Service Department was well structured and we were flown around the province and country for training and support; as well as to provide emergency support for other branches.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Inconsistant Management Personel
worked by myself mostly
Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan12 February 2018
worked by myself mostly and outside, organized the yard , load and unload trucks washed equipment , I helped the mechanics when they needed me, I enjoyed showing customers how to operate the equipment & I liked dealing with customers
Pros
always busy
Cons
working by my self all the time
My first out of town job
Heating Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2018
They really hooked it up again with the job. We started out at the cold lake air weapons range and that was my first out of town experience. The company is owned by polish and they tend to keep their kind around. Some of them are very stubborn, but if you do your job and keep to yourself then you’re laughing!!
somewhat good
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 January 2018
I worked here for 2.5 years, had alot of conflict with the acting manager, did not get along, he was not a good manager
however the people were great!
DO NOT APPLY HERE!!!!! Fort Mcmurry district.
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray district7 December 2017
United rentals does not pay OVERTIME!!! They pay on a compressed work week witch means they only pay straight time. No overtime pay. Drivers in the Fort Mcmurry district can make more money working at McDonald's. Heard they might unionize tho witch would be a plus.
Cons
No overtime pay.
Good money and benefits but for the work its not worth it
AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2017
Management says take your time do it safely meanwhile there just throwing more and more calls on you , everyday is a 14 hour day and I'm not kidding dispatch does not care at all for the drivers
Pros
Cons
Long days, deduct lunch from pay no family life
Great beneifts, wrong job title
Truck driver (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE10 October 2017
Was hired as a truck driver, was expected to do every other job in the company besides drive a truck. Great company to work for except lots of conflicts of interest and wrong job titles.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
hired as a truckdriver, never sent on deliveries
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 September 2017
• Worked with a team of mechanics to maintain a fleet of 65 B train trucks and Trailer
• Adjusted, repaired or replaced parts and components of automotive systems including
• fuel system, brake, steering and suspension, engine and drive train, emission control and exhaust, cooling and climate control, and electrical and electronic systems using hand tools, power tools, and other specialized automotive repair equipment
Good place to work and learn
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2017
I learned a variety of new skills and had good management there. Pretty solid company that values safety and spends lots of money keeping employees safe
Pros
good work environment
Cons
advancement is tough during downturn
ambiance
Technicien (Current Employee) –  Longueuil, QC9 August 2017
Bonne compagnie avec d'excellent avantage sociaux pour les employé.
journée de travail
Directeur (Former Employee) –  Sept-Îles, QC9 August 2017
chez united rentals, les jours se suivent mais ne se ressemble pas, nous sommes a l'écoute des besoins de nos clients en location d'équipements avec tout ce qui va avec, call de service, réparation ,inspection journalière etc...
Pros
apprentissage dans plusieurs domaines
Cons
jamais assez d'heures pour répondre a la demande
Unique/ interesting line of work, always changing, fast paced
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 May 2017
United Rentals provided a unique line of work in the Trench Safety Division.

A typical day was utilized by taking rental orders, producing a paper contract, assembling the products and arranging truck dispatching to get product to site.

Answering all incoming calls and making follow up calls to customers and handling walk ins also filled the day.

Workplace culture is diverse and fun. the management has not been a very positive experience for me, as they did not manage to keep a branch manager for long while I was employed. I get along well with employees and is is fun to be at work most days.

The best part of the job is being involved in some very large project within the construction industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Rentals, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.