United Cycle

United Cycle Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
They are a very community-minded company. I was responsible for the areas of Donations and Fundraising, Sponsorship, Autographed Memorabilia and Community Initiatives.
Pros
Enjoyable position for a sports-minded individual
Cons
At times, long hours.
I was laid off given the covid-19 situation, though do hope there is opportunity to go back at some point!! One of the best employers I have had, a very supportive (bicycle) team, and very accommodating. I was a part-time employee - my manager was always flexible with my schedule, life events, and everyone at work was always happy to be there. I took pride in wearing the United Sport shirt, and truly believe everyone did and does. This contributes to a rewarding experience for the customers i believe as well as a great standard of living for the staff!
Pros
Employee discount and flexible work schedule (give/take)
Cons
Honestly none.
Some of the managers in my department were great but it was a revolving door. If you are not part of the family there is no job guarantee or advancement. Work life balance was there when I started but not at the end.
I am one of those weird people that rides a bicycle all year round even in -30 weather and pouring rain. So for a hardcore rider it is a great job.
But if you have a chronic disease the pace can be a challenge.
Pros
discount on bicycles and parts
Cons
managment
This was a great place to work, helpful staff and great hours, the managment would take time to ensure you know the products you are selling and the best sales techniques to succeed.
Pros
fun staff
Cons
can be long borring days
Unreal work environment day in and day out. Been there for a few years and would love to continue working here. For sure best job I've ever had, great team, great company image. Lots of fun extracurricular events like the UC olympics, christmas party, etc.
Great place for entry level job. They could improve their training you are kind of tossed into it but they do give you the freedom to do your work they do not micro manage
I didn't fit into the typical employee format in United Cycle, so I had a hard time making acquaintances with people I worked with every day. It seems like you need to have certain interests to be able to get along with most people, and especially where I am, there is a "friend group" that is hard to break into. I spent many shifts by myself surrounded by people talking to one another, with no intentions of including me.

Otherwise, I loved working there. The management was decent, no real issues, but I never felt like I was appreciated for my contribution. The customers were pleasant and the hours were flexible. I recommend applying here.
Great place to work, flexible hours, great staff, good benefits and staff discount. setting of the place is it seems like one giant familiy, with everybody for the most part getting along
Egotistic managers. Some of the managers did not communicate their expectations. They would treat adults like they were little kids. Had a habit of firing their best employees
I enjoyed my job as a skate sharpener, I enjoyed helping the customers with the skates and the knowledge I could offer them. I made some good friends.
I have been having a great time at United cycle... Great people and a fun environment to build myself in. Management is good, but compensation is low for the skill level provided.
I enjoy the atmosphere however it is a very unpredictable and unreliable job. Managers are very understanding of taking time off however should not promise full-time hours then give you 2 shifts a week
Pros
amazing atmosphere
Cons
unsteady
My co-workers here are amazing and they make every day a blast. This company has always been about supporting a better family lifestyle but recently I have seen them moving away from this and it breaks my heart.
the job was good, the training provided was great, the company was growing and i felt that we had very quality people working in management. the environment was very clean and professional. its a family run business which changed the atmosphere and i liked that.

i was a cashier primarily and filled in on floor sales and shipping and receiving when they needed extra workers.

the hardest part was dealing with people dynamics - we had over 200 employees and with large staff teams comes the inevitable tension between some.

also, my schedule was never consistent and this was frustrating for me
United Cycle was fun and educational. I started out as the Cashier Supervisor and moved into the Training Coordinators position.

I enjoyed the both positions because I was working with people as well as training staff on new policies and procedures,

What was hard was working in a male dominated company, they would forget that they had females around them so I would gently remind them.
Pros
the people and athletes that came in
Cons
Male dominated thinking
Lots of opportunities to learn and develop skills, in a faced paced environment. Great co-worker support with people who are interested in sporting goods.