Union Gospel Mission logo
Union Gospel Mission

Union Gospel Mission Employee Reviews

Depending on area of work can be very stressful

Overall a great place to work. Everyone is friendly and collaborative. Many different areas of work once you are there you can apply for other positions

Pros

Good food for minimal price every month

Cons

Long hours - depending on area of work

Great Place to Learn Skills and Make a Difference

I volunteered with Union Gospel Mission in 2 different ways. I was a front desk receptionist volunteer and I also volunteered with the Adult Education Program. Both were very challenging and fulfilling.

Pros

Free Coffee

Cons

Busy pace

Safe and inclusive environment

I wasn't on Union Gospel Mission's payroll. I was a volunteer. I felt welcomed by mission staff and never judged. I was given freedom to interact with the guests and build relationships with them. I helped serve meals, coffee and tea and played cribbage with some of the senior guests to combat loneliness. The staff are very compassionate towards the vulnerable citizens and the marginalized and is inclusive of everyone. I would volunteer there again or seek employment.

Pros

Free lunches and dinners, Caring outreach staff, Pastoral care.

Cons

Occasional disruptive guests.

Very grateful for my opportunity to work

Awesome staff members Enjoyed the job Great work hours Food is awesome stuff Enjoyed every day working Gotta be able to do the job and watch out for the vollunteer program workers who miss their work hours and you will have to go get them to do their duty inthkitchen

fun workplace to be around children

There is a sense of home when you arrive to the site. Everyone is super friendly. You gain life skills as well as leadership skills. You learn to build trust with a child and give them the experience that they never had. Giving back to the community. Many of the children are low-income and single-parent families.

Very fulfilling organization and incredible friendly staff

I really enjoyed my time at UGM. The mission and the work they do is incredibly important and the staff in every department are super friendly and warming.

Great place live your faith

I love that in a typical day I can meet with a drug addict, a person suffering from severe mental illness and a former business owner struggling with economic crisis in the same day and have a positive effect on their lives.

Pros

free lunch, understanding management

Cons

low pay

voluntering for a good cause

I enjoyed being able to clean up, cook, serve, and converse with the public. It was a very good experience for both me and the public that I had been serving.

Fun and good work experience

I really enjoyed working with the homeless I learned a lot about everyone I now appreciate what I have in life and I am grateful too. I loved it a lot

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Productive and fun workplace to help the homeless

I love working with people specially with people that live on the street and dont have much money so i complinmize what they can afford.. When i walk in to my job that i tell my staff just to have a positive attitude no manner how you feeling. i learned that i can help someone that they can feel good about the store and making them feel that they want to come back. I try my best for all of my co-workers feel that they are part of the team. The hardest part of the job is to make sure that i have everything together as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job is that i walk in the store feeling great and knowing I can makes the different..

Jobs at Union Gospel Mission

See more jobs

A community of deeply loving people and clients that left you exausted at the end of the day but, wanting to do more to make a difference.

I was a dream fulfilled. I felt challenged and loved every where I turned. I learned to love people no matter what culture or beliefs they came from. I learned to accept everyone the way Christ loved and accepted everyone. It taught me how to try to balance my management schedule and yet when to say no. I saw a lot of death, loss and grief in many people that had been hurt by government, culture, family etc. that learning to trust God and people in the ministry made it very difficult.

Pros

Given the opprotunity to meet with people where they were.

Cons

When my son was born with life challanges, management forgot to meet my wife and I in the turmoil we were in, they expected me to keep up with my job responsibilities.

Great work environment

The best part of working with UGM is the love and passion it has with the demographics and community. UGM has many great services and staff that really care about the community they work in.

Pros

Free meals, great work environment and benefits.

Cons

Low pay scale

Productice high energy fun workplace

A typical day at work we are normally busy. Making food hampers for drop in clients, on the phone with many societies in regards to shelters, housing, health concerns. clients coming in for one on one information. I learned to take one client at a time don't promise anything and follow through not only with your clients but to keep your co-workers in the loop of what your doing to a healthy team work attitude. Management is awesome they are always on your side with what ever decision you are making. Hardest part of the job is when there are no shelters or places able to take clients. Most enjoyable when you are to fulfill all the needs of the client. for example having their teeth fixed at no cost giving them food hampers, finding them shelter. helping apply for welfare and them getting it.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Its only a on call postion

a good place to work!

UGM is a non-profit organization. The work that they do is a great support for the community. They have excellent programs for anyone would be interested to get involved with recovery, the homeless has their unique / wonderful place to congregate daily. the cook prepared a nutritional meal. People in different walks of life can access help through the outreach support worker. Its impossible to meet every one's need, however, UGM always do their best.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

less hours work

A place where every person is shown dignity and respect

* Facilitating guests in a safe, warm and effective way * Help serving food and helping the order of things to run smooth, with the need for people to start eating in an effective manner due to 450 people in the building within a few hours *being patient and having the ability to empathicly listen to every person who comes your way is a great challenge, and great opportunity

Pros

Community atmosphere, with free lunches

Cons

Casual position, not many hours

Productive learning environment

Each day was challenging and rewarding. Management did an excellent job working with difficult situations. Co-workers were exceptional and pleasant. Hardest part of job: seeing clients leave the program early. Most enjoyable part of job: providing stability and balance for clients who were able to complete the program.

Pros

Great pragmatic experiences.

Cons

It was only part-time.