Unimotor Employee Reviews

Don’t Apply
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON22 June 2019
No job/work life balance - mandatory 58 hour work weeks, if you refuse you’re fired. They have somehow found a way to go around the 48 hour cap. Full-timers even tell you to run.
Working all those hours ensures decent pay - overtime paid after 40 hours (last I was there). That’s actually the only one good thing of working there.
Job security/advancement - non-existent. It’s based on if management likes you or not. One-year contracts and can be terminated for any reason.
Management is mixed of really bad and making up for it with doughnut Friday’s and catered holiday meals. But if you make a mistake, miss any time, not work fast enough, or get injured you are doomed.
Job culture is the worst I’ve seen, very two-faced, spiteful behaviour prominent. No room for new ideas even if it helps improve productivity. Their motto is: “we’ve always done it this way, do it this way”. If there are too many injuries reported - employees are blamed rather than looking internally to see what can be done to stop injuries from continuing to happen.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no work/life balance, no life, management and supervisors
Negative
Assembler (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 April 2019
Small company.Lots of back stabbing.No team work.money was okay.no organization at all! The pple were not open to newcomers.Lots of pple work there that are related to each other. Supervisors were somewhat dense.
Pros
Bonus at christmas
Cons
Back stabbing, favourtism with management
Only work here if you're looking to earn some quick cash then take the money and run.
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON27 February 2018
Unimotor is a superb place to work if you enjoy being overworked and underpaid for the amount of effort you put into your job. The work load is very unbalanced and you're often struggling to keep up and more often than not having to do other people's jobs as well. The upper management is terrible and will constantly watch you like a hawk with every move you make and are usually running around like chickens with their heads cut off (not knowing where to direct workers to balance workloads). It's quite entertaining in a way to observe people that weren't meant to be leaders have their narcissistic directions crumble before their own feet. Not all workers are treated the same as there is a lot of favoritism in this place. Gossip is also very prominent in the work place and people are constantly stabbing each other in the back and then putting on a fake happy face like nothing happened. Aside from all this, you do learn how to manage your time wisely, assemble different motor components, and catch on quickly to the people that enjoy causing drama for others. I wouldn't personally recommend it.
Pros
Whips were outlawed while working sometime in the 1800's
Cons
Long hours, Terrible Upper Management, Favoritism, Strenuous, Repetitive, Labor
hello
Set-up/Assembler (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON28 October 2014
this was a factory I worked in where I learned how to do everyday things faster and more efficient which I brought to my culinary profession
Very productive , and very nice people to work for.
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON3 October 2013
At the start of the shift at Uni-Motor I was responsible for loading the parts washer, this very large machine was used for cleaning greese off of parts before the painting process, I would fill out parts labels and take them to the other end of the parts washer for the person unloading the machine, I would then go back to the other end and start the conveyor after I properly spaced the parts so they would all get a good wash while going down the parts washer, I also helped built the small blower motors which the company manufactures, as well as helped pack and label the boxes for shipping, I learned the importance of everyone to work hard in a group or a small line, if one person is lagging a bit it can really slow down production! The management at Unimotor is by far the very best Excellent! I would say and by far some of the best I have ever seen in a small factory setting, and it really reflects on the employees that work there it has a real "family setting" enviroment as everyone is very nice and careing to each others needs,and very helpful! other factories could really learn a lot by following the lead of this strong productive factory! I worked their last year as a temp. employee and I have sent my resume to them this year in hopes of a call for employment again.
Pros
Great people, small factory, very productive
Cons
I didn't find any.
Would have stayed if hiring full time, permanent. Sales were slow
Labourer/Assembler/Quality (Former Employee) –  St.Thomas, Ontario2 August 2012
Excellent employees to work with, would loved to stayed but was only temp due to the slow sales.
Pros
straight days, atmosphere was comfortable
Cons
was only temporary