UBC

UBC Pay & benefits reviews

Union benefits, and you can work and go to class at the same time It was great to be able to work with good colleagues, and you get more time in the school enviroment
Working for the UBC IT Service Centre as a coop student was a great learning experience. I was able to help customers over email and the phone for issues relating to UBC electronic infrastructure.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Salary could be better
It was heavy work, but everyone else worked hard too. It was a union postion, and the only problem was i had skipped the orientation, 3x, which they take very seriously. Dont skip the orientation, it was informative, and had great snacks bevys. And was paid! I only left because the mangement was in transition, and i let one grandstanding egomanic ruin my experience. I would still be there, and have made plans to return.
Pros
Solid job, lots of food, great benefits
Cons
one bad sour dramatic apple
UBC is so focused on getting international students and charging them more for tuition that they are ignoring the staff. We have had minimal to zero raises for years. The benefits are great, but we can't eat on benefits or pay our rent with our benefits. The management raises are stupidly out of touch, and the gap between high-level office staff and low-level management is widening to the point of discouragement. I am looking for work elsewhere.
benefits
Cons
don't negotiate fairly for office staff salaries
If anyone with education, wishes to be in a highly professional and secure work environment, I recommend them to apply for a position in their field at UBC.
Pros
highly professional and safe place to be
Cons
I didn't feel that the pay is high enough, although they have great benefits.
A very good place to work indeed. But if you ever work past 10 years... There will be no opportunities to move up. They will hire the young and inexperienced to manage so they can pay them a low wage. Employees that have been there long term, do not often get the opportunity to learn anything new. Not even management are given the title or proper wage to manage. Good if you are young and single. A depressing job to wake up to when you've been their for a while. There are no employee goal motivations.
Pros
Good benefits