UBC

UBC Job security & advancement reviews

love it a lot, met a lot of amazing people as a research assistant. also appreciate the fact that I was able to gain experience in a world-renowned institution.
UBC is a great place to work at. Flexible working schedules and open minded working culture. I recommend others to try working there. Hard part is there is limited wellness checks as folks are always busy
Working for the UBC IT Service Centre as a coop student was a great learning experience. I was able to help customers over email and the phone for issues relating to UBC electronic infrastructure.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Salary could be better
I have held a few positions at UBC each department has their own way of doing things and overall it's been a good experience. They take equality and harassment seriously. The reason for not full stars is in my current position the person submitting payroll doesn't always to di on time so paydays can vary.
It was heavy work, but everyone else worked hard too. It was a union postion, and the only problem was i had skipped the orientation, 3x, which they take very seriously. Dont skip the orientation, it was informative, and had great snacks bevys. And was paid! I only left because the mangement was in transition, and i let one grandstanding egomanic ruin my experience. I would still be there, and have made plans to return.
Pros
Solid job, lots of food, great benefits
Cons
one bad sour dramatic apple
UBC is so focused on getting international students and charging them more for tuition that they are ignoring the staff. We have had minimal to zero raises for years. The benefits are great, but we can't eat on benefits or pay our rent with our benefits. The management raises are stupidly out of touch, and the gap between high-level office staff and low-level management is widening to the point of discouragement. I am looking for work elsewhere.
benefits
Cons
don't negotiate fairly for office staff salaries
If anyone with education, wishes to be in a highly professional and secure work environment, I recommend them to apply for a position in their field at UBC.
Pros
highly professional and safe place to be
Cons
I didn't feel that the pay is high enough, although they have great benefits.
this was a great team to work with and for i have learned a lot and the encouragement they have given to me was taken and greatly appreciated. thank you for the experience ubc students.
Pros
learning
Cons
contract was 6 weeks only
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UBC?