UBC logo
UBC

UBC Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Flexible work environment

UBC is a great place to work at. Flexible working schedules and open minded working culture. I recommend others to try working there. Hard part is there is limited wellness checks as folks are always busy

Great place to work provided you get along with your bosses. If you don't they can, and do, fire for no reason whatsoever. If you run into a bully they give lip-service to anti-bullying but wont' help you.

Work as a Team & treat everyone as a same.

Everyone should work as a team & treat your other co-worker as if your second family member, because you spend almost whole day der. Specially in Food Services, I moved frm food service Housing. They should keep fixed staff in every place ( food service & Houseing) not changing everyday. Staff get crazy sometimes

Good Learning Experience

Working for the UBC IT Service Centre as a coop student was a great learning experience. I was able to help customers over email and the phone for issues relating to UBC electronic infrastructure.

Pros

Good Management

Cons

Salary could be better

Overall a great place to work

I have held a few positions at UBC each department has their own way of doing things and overall it's been a good experience. They take equality and harassment seriously. The reason for not full stars is in my current position the person submitting payroll doesn't always to di on time so paydays can vary.

Solid job, fantastic benefits.

It was heavy work, but everyone else worked hard too. It was a union postion, and the only problem was i had skipped the orientation, 3x, which they take very seriously. Dont skip the orientation, it was informative, and had great snacks bevys. And was paid! I only left because the mangement was in transition, and i let one grandstanding egomanic ruin my experience. I would still be there, and have made plans to return.

Pros

Solid job, lots of food, great benefits

Cons

one bad sour dramatic apple

pay level decreasing for office staff

UBC is so focused on getting international students and charging them more for tuition that they are ignoring the staff. We have had minimal to zero raises for years. The benefits are great, but we can't eat on benefits or pay our rent with our benefits. The management raises are stupidly out of touch, and the gap between high-level office staff and low-level management is widening to the point of discouragement. I am looking for work elsewhere.

benefits

Cons

don't negotiate fairly for office staff salaries

review

not very good. bad management. never gonna work there. horrible experience. good thing was employees were nice. good worker but not that good place for first timers

Harmonious group consisting of UBC students

As a volunteer of UBC Chinese language program, I get to know a lot of students from different nationalities, which is a culture shock experience. Also, our volunteer group could help each other kindly. I have found a kind of belonging here.

It was a great place to work

If anyone with education, wishes to be in a highly professional and secure work environment, I recommend them to apply for a position in their field at UBC.

Pros

highly professional and safe place to be

Cons

I didn't feel that the pay is high enough, although they have great benefits.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UBC?

Working long term for UBC

A very good place to work indeed. But if you ever work past 10 years... There will be no opportunities to move up. They will hire the young and inexperienced to manage so they can pay them a low wage. Employees that have been there long term, do not often get the opportunity to learn anything new. Not even management are given the title or proper wage to manage. Good if you are young and single. A depressing job to wake up to when you've been their for a while. There are no employee goal motivations.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UBC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement