U-Haul Employee Review

More responsibility for women, customers were terrible (I've had to call the cops) and got away with it. Didn't have a manager for months. Min. wage.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 February 2019
I first started U-Haul in the customer service rep position at the front desk in September, which is considered the off-season for reservations. I found it was a reasonably relaxed couple of months, with only the end of the month (moving time) being the most stressful time I've had at a job. This had to do with lazy coworkers as opposed to anything else. I had an easy transition in, but quickly found out that the fast employee turnover rate meant I had a lot of responsibility early in. Also, I had no manager for the first couple months I worked there, and only through an amazing supervisor was I able to learn as much as I did because there's no formal training and it's mostly a learn on the job place. This ended up being a problem when you'd have management sensitive problems with customers and you were alone on staff, while the other departments didn't want anything to do with you. We'd constantly get overbooked by the reservation department, and have to tell the customers ourselves why they couldn't get their reservation. There was no accountability. I've had customers yell at me, lying about their bills and would not leave until they got a discount, but no supervisor to talk to them and no one to provide me support. I've had to hook up trailers in snow storms for customers for hours on end, and stay hours after my 9 hour shift with no break cleaning up and returning customer phone calls. I've had to tell someone the cops were coming while he was trying to destroy our property by myself. All this for minimum wage. What's worse is only a few workers, the women workers, had  more... to deal with the customers at the front desk. Being a woman myself, I had to do both the indoor and outdoor job, having the same tasks as the men, but they were only trained outdoors. Despite being called customer service reps, their only job was to occasionally give a customer a rental while I'm inside following up with and taking calls, dealing with sales of store merchandise and storage sales. I felt like I was burdened with a lot more of the responsibility and needed to know so much more because I did both jobs, and despite bringing this up with my manager, I was told it was the best they could do.  less
Pros
Lots of hours available, very flexible on scheduling.
Cons
Worst experience I've had in a customer service position, and terrible management.

Other U-Haul Employee Reviews

they don't treat employees with respect
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON17 June 2019
Other uHaul employees don't/can't treat you with respect when calling EMPLOYEE SUPPORT. all they want is the money they have no care for how the employees get treated when uHaul upsets a customer because they just move peoples rentals around without letting the customer know.
Long hours moderate rewards
AREA FIELD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2019
I was responsible for recruiting, training, and supporting dealerships for U Haul products. I drove from dealership to dealership doing maintenance checks on equipment and trying to recruit dealerships in between.
Pros
worked alone
Cons
long hours, moderate pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U-Haul. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K