U-Haul Employee Reviews in Hamilton, ON

Found 16 reviews matching the search See all 4,200 reviews
Bad management
Tire and break mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 March 2019
Hello I was hired and as I was getting ready to start the manager texted me saying don't come in we found someone with more experience well that screwed me over people be aware of this place the management is the worst
Pros
Cons
Management is not good at all
low pay, friendly staff, could not get full time hours
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 February 2018
Pay is too low. The work environment was suitable and the duties required of me were fair. Could not get full time hours. Very inconsistent with schedule.
Pros
not labour intensive
Cons
no scheduled breaks, low pay, inconsistent schedule.
productive workplace
Sales Representative/Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 November 2017
Its a great environment for people who are her working, and can easily multitask. The company has a very good name and it was my job to make sure to promote great customer service, and efficient work attitude.
Pros
discount on products
Job was okay
Transfer Driver (retired) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 August 2017
The job was easy not too stressful most of the employees were great to work with but a few of them were very disrespectful to other employees my manager was good to work for
Pros
monthly BBQ
Cons
Office staff
good basic knowledge job
Partrs Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 May 2017
Learn fleet management and scheduling of fleet vehicles for preventive maintenance. Start to understand supply and demand for the customer and fleet of vehicles.
Pros
cheap rentals
Cons
no appriciation
productive but very low salary
Maintenanace Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 April 2017
Productive .Advanced environment but very low salary as compared to anyother firms.Low job security.Good platform to work and start.good management sysytem
the people are friendly
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 March 2017
they need to increase pays more often. The people are great to work with. It is just some of the policies I don't agree with and they need to take opinions from their employees
Increasingly challenging in a good way always learning
Automotive Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2017
A typical day at work involves inspecting a vehicle for any problems, finding future problem, and repairing said problems.

Every day i would learn something new with the help of seasoned
technicians at my disposal.

The management there was diligent on having vehicles in and out with out compromising on safety in any way.

The hardest part of the job was learning something new and having it done in a timely matter which pushed me to learn quick and push out quality work.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people there.
Good techs, very diversified co-workers
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 October 2015
Being a brakes specialist it was very repetitive work, with only a few types of trucks to repair Not enough problems to solve
Pros
big on safety
Cons
Not much chance to use all of my skills
not a positive enviroment
employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2015
it was a JOB that's it,,,, very unhealthy environment... no one knows what there doing and then the management team wants you to train people that know nothing about your trade ( mechanic)
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
Good company
Project manager, Building and fire codes (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 October 2014
All around good people. Some travel, heavy work load. This is a good thing. Days go by quick.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Some travel
lousy pay for fast paced, high stress job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  2275 Barton st E Hamilton4 June 2014
For such a large, successful corporation, they really could afford to pay their workers better. But they don't and they won't. Their company would benefit - it would be better for customers - if they would hire people for the call center in more areas than just arizona and the one other place they have it, but they won't because of the minimum wage difference. They don't want to pay more than $7/hour to call center employees even if it means giving the wrong information to customers who are put through to the call center when the location they are calling is too busy to answer the phone.

This is a high stress job because it is very fast paced, with tight schedules and stressed out customers. Working in customer service can be grating anyway, but when people are moving, they are very stressed out and can be rude and demanding and impatient. It is very busy. Uhaul's rates are by the day, but come month end, with so many people moving, we would have to charge people the daily rate for their rental, but tell them that they can only have a truck for 8 hours. Its BS.

And the parking lots are TERRIBLE. With all their profits you'd think they'd do a better job of getting a parking lot big enough for all the traffic. I started out at a UHAUL in a small city. The parking lot was so bad. Pot holes everywhere, trucks everywhere and only four parking spots for customers, and hardly any space to turn around. I thought when I moved that the new UHaul location I'd be working at would be better seeing as it was the head office for southwestern ontario. It wasn't! It was
  more... just as bad, if not worse.

I was good at this job because I am good over the phone confirming appointments and dealing with the computer scheduling system and I work well under pressure. I didn't mind actually RUNNING to get trucks for customers when we were busy to get them on their way faster. For working there for over a year I got a 75 cent raise and I'm pretty sure the first 50 cents was just because that when I moved to the new city, they have a higher cost of living so that is their starting off point for anyone.
If they had paid better I probably wouldn't have looked for another job because I work well under stress and my coworkers were nice. But for that lousy pay, it is not a long term career for me.
Pros
challenging, busy, nice coworkers, xmas turkey, if you work there you can move anywhere in north america and have a job lined up
Cons
terrible pay, no benefits, uniforms, rude customers, owner would rather save money even when it means creating problems for customers and employees
had a good time with workers.Lots of jokes at work
Facility Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Ontario4 April 2013
i enjoyed everyday at work. Management was great to work for.
Great place to work for,
Traffic Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 September 2012
I would go into work. gather up what I needed that day then meet with the Marketing Company President and I would go over reports and discuss what needed to be done. I was part of Management, but the other Managers were great to work with. The employess that I had working for me in my department, were great group of people. I had no problems. The hardest part of the job would, is waiting on the shop to get the trucks out of the shop. The most enjoyable would be, at the end of every month, everyone would get together for lunch that was provided by yhe company.