U-Haul

Canada322 reviews

Found 322 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,902 reviews
trailerrentaltruckhitchhaulreservationstoragevehicle

Productive work place

While working at uhaul, it was nerve wrecking because of how customers can get but it built me me up to handle the toughest of situations and allowed me to make mistakes and learn from them. That I appreciate so much about working here, that you’re able to learn. The job contains a lot of responsibility and urgency but it was also fun because my co-workers made the work environment not so stressful. My duty was booking reservations in person or on the phone, making contracts, handling legal documents, getting keys or other equipment for the customer, giving u-box or storage unit access or information, completing orders and or checking out customers items, answering inquiries on the item, doing vehicle or trailor inspections as well as doing the vehicle or equipment return on your phone. It’s overall a good amount of computer, phone and hands on work. It also helped that the manager was nice and understanding when u start working and encourages your learning at the job. When hired you’ll be given a paid training shift and will be learning while assisting customers but the system of most things are easy since it tells you what to do almost on the computer. A heads up is you will have to do uhaul courses online and exams when hired because like I said the job contains responsibility and you have to know your safety and other information regarding equipment or contract making. Sounds like it’s too much but trust me it’s worth it. I gained more skills and a better back bone there than I did at anywhere else and I appreciate that so much. It was a stressful job at first but I kept -

Pros

Co-workers, tips, hands on vehicle work, room to grow, chair to sit

Cons

Flexibility, unorganized management, at times stressful environment

Great people

Great people, met some of my best friends there, very family oriented, and team oriented. Manager is fabulous. Can’t say enough good about her. Customers can be rude but for the most part it’s relaxed but month ends are crazy busy.

Insights into U-Haul

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility

Beware of management and interpersonal favouritism

Management is the worst, they ask you to do certain things that definitely get you into trouble/lose your job only to lie to upper management on all details of your discipline or dismissal. Some employees are cool and fun to work with, hours aren’t too bad and benefits are pretty good. Only thing definitely to change is management a lot of favouritism going on in there where depending on who you are you are protected to the fullest.

Pros

Co-workers, benefits

Cons

Less staff and heavy pressure

The place needs to hire more people. You'll see only two people working in the field outside , having to clean the trucks, rent them, bill them and installing trailers. The customers are no better.

Pros

free pizza every month

Cons

too much pressure

Pretty easy job

Everyday same trucks and same jobs. Very limited learning experience. Wage is below average but company pays for group benefit. Goop place to start apprenticeship.

Pros

Good benefit

Cons

low wage, limited learning experience

Great place to get experience, Not a long term job.

The place I currently work at is always understaffed. They can’t pay us enough tag this location where other locations are paying better. I recommend getting a job where they can pay you your worth. You work so many hours for just over minimum wage. Salary is kinda okay. Pay is not to bad but you work a lot when you don’t have anyone else. And god forbid you complain to your boss, they just tell you to hire more people. But who has to train thoses people??? The gm… again. I loved the job but it’s to much now.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours No staff to help.

Good employees, terrible company

Company is always looking to save every penny on everything they do, makes it a pain to work with them but management is always great and trying to please dealers. Commission is not really worth the trouble for half of the stuff you do.

Busy

Lots of opportunity for independent development but make sure you set time for yourself. Build a schedule and stick to it. Resist answering the phone when you're off and you'll do fine.

Worst place to work for

No structure, No financial stability, complete chaos. Company is run by men who know absolutely nothing about the customers or the business. Terrible

Pros

You’ll meet some good people

Cons

They expect you to do more than what your job description entails, and pays pennies for it

Overall U Haul is a good company.

U Haul as a company I think its great help to the public by providing the rental trucks, storage, hitch sales and installation and sales of moving supplies, U box at very good rate that most people can afford. From work part if you get to work under a good store manager and Marketing company president you'll be fine. If you work for U haul store that sells all the things that I have mentioned above including trailer rentals you are gaining a lot of good experience in all these products which is really good on resume. For examples by working at Uhaul storage experience will open door for to work as manager at storage facilities, Renting trucks and trailers will help you get job as managers at Vehicle rental companies etc. Will see some worse customers because U Haul is ready to rent on cash on specific trucks and rent storage units too on cash. When actually they should just do credit cards only for all vehicles rentals, storage rentals and Ubox. Its time the company needs to bring some change. Renting on cash leads to stolen vehicles, more unpaid bills and more police reports. Company is ready to lose lot of money on this. But what about the mental health of employees who has to deal with these problems?

Pros

Discounts on rentals & sales, Opportunity for growth, Increase in driving skills, Learn forklift operation store use only, good health & dental coverage, free first aid certification

Cons

work outside in bad climates, clean trucks used for garden work or construction, clean stolen recovery trucks, parking lot & storage units, Will see some worse customers, Too much multi tasking.

Great place to work to gain management skills and people skills.

I worked as an AFM with Uhaul for about 3 years. Like any job it is work at times and then there are aspects that I enjoyed and would get excited to be a part of. I left Uhaul for another job that paid considerably better in the oil and gas industry but within 6 months the new employers side company’s income was cut in half which resulted in cutbacks on my pay . I regret leaving Uhaul as it was a good career. I would take my old job back in a heartbeat

Pros

Paid expenses and travel

Cons

Month end is hair straight back, but you can recover during the first two weeks of the following month

misleading job posting.Slip shod training & leadership

Ad promises a good job and benefits.Reality is minimal pay.Minimal actual hours.Zero idea regarding day to day work.NO leadership and confusing, contradictory training.Very poor scheduling and work delegation..

Pros

They seemed personable and casual

Cons

Lack of leadership, creates a vacuum.

Team 360 edmonton u haul

u haul is a small family run business that grew into a multi national organization. it is an epitome of the American dream. in the 70+ years since a small military family had a desire to help there neighbors with the struggles of moving there whole family when answering the call of duty, the company has has grown to something much larger. the thing that has stayed the same is the emphasis on family and generosity.

Pros

grate staff, fun day to day, exceptional learning opportunity, free school, profit share rewards, in Edmonton you get people who truly care and truly want you to succeed, programs to help your health and wellness, amazing mentorship, advancement is predominantly done in the company

Cons

below average monthly income

Provides an excellent environment for developing and nurturing interpersonal skills and communication skills.

Not enough lease vehicles during month ends when demand reaches peak. On the positive side is the rental rates are very good and the rental cars are well maintained.

Pros

Rental cars well maintained. Rentals are economical.

Really bad place to work at

They hired me on the spot which was a red flag but I was desperate for a job so I accepted the offer and the job looked okay to me. They had me work for two days then out of the blue fired me for no good reason. I did everything right. The manager there swears all the time and yells at everyone. Bad work culture. Pay is really low hours r not guaranteed as it depends on the business needs.

Pros

Free lunches

Flexible Workplace

It's good for a first job but not as a lifetime opportunity. Customers can be hard to handle but if you have a strong heart you can do it. The company is actually nice and have a strong job security.

Cons

Rude and Angry Customers

terrible management

Management is petty and selfish. Got fired before my probation ended because I got offered a position at a different U-haul. Manager was never around, had to interview new potential employees for them because they’d schedule interviews and then disappear for the day.

Pros

staff lunches

Cons

poor training, horrible management, lots of favouritism

Poor

Upper management treats their lower level managers and employees like garbage, because of this they have a horrible turnover rate. Pay is also unsatisfactory for all the things they expect you to do.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Angry customers, inconsistent management, always understaffed.

Busy shop, Efficiency is emphasized, regular hours

As a trailer tech in the fleet maintenance facility I find the expectations are clear and reasonable. Colleagues are competent and helpful. Shop is clean and well equipped. The current manager operates with a light hand and a sense of humor but requires effort on the part of the staff.

Pros

Monthly BBQ with more than hotdogs & burgers

Cons

Wages could be better but the culture offsets that

Fun place to work

Your load of work will be different every day, a day you work on truck another you rented units, some day you clean truck and some other day you work in the office, renting units, collecting rent. Fun place to work

Pros

Time go fast

Not good

Very unprofessional management low pay for very overwhelming duties ignorant incompetent they down talk their staff bullying. Not a good environment! Horrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U-Haul. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement