U-Haul Employee Reviews

Found 188 reviews matching the search See all 3,515 reviews
Minimum pay with high expectation
Reservation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 July 2018
Reservation clerk needs to deal with all angry customers,company dealers and customer support team. There was no motivation from Management. Actually, There is no management. They will pay us minimum wages. This job will disturb your work-life balance. every day you will hear excessive use of abusing words from disturb customers. even you know that customer is right, you have to protect company policy. Uhaul needs to pay at least 18$ per hour. You will be a trainee Reservation clerk(even after 1-2 year of work). There was nothing enjoyable part in this job.
Pros
nothing
Great variety of task, everyday was an adventure!
Facility Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 May 2018
There was no typical day, every day presented a new challenge.
I learnt how to operate new equipment and pushed to harness my skills.
Some of the management seemed more interested in getting their bonuses then putting money back into the company.
Workplace culture was pleasant over all though there seemed to be a lot of Favoritism towards certain employees.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with the constant corner cutting which went against my own personal beliefs!
Do it once and do it right thus saving money long term!
Most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of work, flexibility with work hours and not always having your supervisor looking over your shoulder.
Pros
Flexibility with work hours
Cons
Having to bring your personal tools to do jobs for company
good but could be better
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 December 2018
Upper management basically bullies you to get their way.
Depending on what store you work at, it can get dramatic.
Most customers are a headache and always looking to get something for free or a discount. Now don't get me wrong, some customers are great but when you get the already grumpy ones.. makes for a long rental. We get you're moving, we want to help but not when you're loosing it at us. All in all its a good place to work, always have hours to give and such. Just need a change in management.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
rude customers and bully upper management
Bad pay for work you do/ shawty management
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2018
Minimum wage to deal with maximum problems. Especially at this location. Get crapped on by customers and management just tells you to deal with it. Management is very two faced and will say you’re doing a great job then tell everyone else your a horrible person. The Barlow location is simply the worst uhaul for customer service as well.
Pros
Discounts on moving supplies and vehicles
Cons
Shawty management/horrible pay
Basic customer service workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 December 2018
Management was very corrupt. General manager has a past with fraud. The workplace itself was calm. Independently doing truck inspections, as trucks/ trailers returned. Scheduling rentals with customers sometimes got hard as they were increasingly impatient. Just takes patience and understanding to console them with their needs.
Pros
Able to be a strong independent worker
Cons
Management, non- flexible hours
Exceptional work experience.
Head Storage Facility Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 May 2018
Overall, working for Uhaul has been nothing but wonderful. Management is very flexible and considerate to my busy mom life. She appreciates and acknowledges the work I do for the company and is sadden by the fact I have to move on. For nothing more will come out of working as a storage facility housekeeper.
Pros
Pleasant workplace all around
Cons
Not enough hours/pay/no benefits
enjoyable work locations and co-wokers
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 January 2019
employer reneged on original hiring contract by replacing company with my personal vehicle without compensation for fuel/ins./maint. pressure work environment.
Pros
4day-10 hr. shift
Cons
no vehicle compensation
Depending on Management, it can be a great job or nightmare with no support from headoffice
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON5 December 2017
For the most part, the people you work with are great. U-Haul promotes from within, which is good in a lot of respects but it also allows for an unqualified or unfit person to be promoted to higher positions strictly based on time worked within the company or a friends support as you all raise in positions together. For the most part, U-Haul is a franchise, not officially but it's how it's run. A Marketing Company President controls a large area and most staff that work for U-Haul work below this position and the person who holds it. If you get and unqualified or unfit person in that positions, they pretty much can do what they want and the staff have very little help or support from head office.
Pros
Good wages and Benefits for full time employees
Cons
Very little corporate support or protection mistreatment from management.
horrible
Assistant Manager, Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC29 September 2018
fired me because my wage was too high, hired 2 people, despite my having been promoted and having been there since opening, and being one of the most dedicated and hardworking employees that location's had,
Productive and Friendly Working Environment
Area Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 January 2019
What makes this environment so enjoyable is the people I work with. Everyone is very kind in all departments; always willing to lend a hand. I couldn't ask for a more supportive group of people.
Having the ability to maintain my own work schedule is a learning curve that I believe is now an asset of mine. It provided with me determination and even more organization skills. I've learned so much from this job and feel that it pushed me to grow more than any other job has.
good place to work
Facility Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON31 July 2018
This is a good place to work, if a person will work hard. and there is plenty of experience that a person will gain. There is a lot of room for personal development and the company recognizes individual effort and accomplishments
Productive and fun workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 January 2018
A typical day at work had units scheduled to go out in an easy to use calendar on the computer, through the Uhaul website.
I learned how to refine my customer service skills even more to accommodate units we did not possess but had been required by the customer. Thus, calling and communicating to the customer when they should arrive just after the unit had been dropped off therefore maximizing their time using the equipment as well as servicing them by not having them unnecessarily sit and wait. Management was stellar. Workplace culture was always positively maintained according to customer reviews online detailing 'service experience' as well as attention to details in the proper spelling of the Managers name in the mentions. The hardest part of the job was the weather with regards to the size of the lot and number of units. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to clear customers minds on the issue of 'moving' that, more often than not, causes people tension, to say the least.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Weather
also not fun
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC15 November 2018
you are very unsafe with this company and have seen clients get physical with workers with this company not only that I have been personal discriminated since I was Man wearing the pink womans U-Haul uniform my manager was awesome with it. it was her manager that didn't like me wearing and was always spying on us on the company cameras remotely if he didn't like you
Pros
Cons
too many
too much stress and not enough help/pay
Customer Service Representative/Hitch Pro. (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 August 2018
I hated working at Uhaul with a passion. Everyday is new Bulls hit. Between management customers and phone calls. Too much for not enough pay. Waste of time
Pros
Cons
everything
Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2019
I loved working for U-haul, but as for a new immigrant like me, I am still adapting to the cold weather, and this job is an outside job wherein it requires me to stay outside for more than 6 hours, needless to say I needed to find a new job. But overall, the company is very flexible.
Pros
Lots of hours, Flexible scheduling
Cons
More team play, cooperation, communication with other employees needed
high pace, work on call 24/7, good but not good enough pay
Area Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 April 2018
job is sporadic at best, you have your daily tasks to complete but at the same time you're thrown a million other tasks as every other department needs stuff done. any other manager would have support from their head office but because i'm the only system member 6 hours away it gets pretty difficult to get any sort of support. job pays well but with the amount of stuff we have to go through it could pay better. you literally have no social life as your work phone becomes your life and it never stops ringing. all in all it's a decent job, just needs some fine tuning and revisions from middle management
Pros
lots of travel, work my own hours, decent pay
Cons
middle management, days can stretch up to 18 hour days. on call 24/7
Awesome work place
French Sales and reservation agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 January 2018
Great team work environment and they offer a competitive salary.. They do not offer full time however they do provide you the hours needed to get a decent pay. Management is very supportive and understanding. Programs are easy to use and call structures are very obtainable.
Pros
Salary, Management, Not hard work.
Coworker's made job feel better
Project tech (Former Employee) –  Here14 June 2018
Worked for uhaul for 10 months and never received benefits. Was putting in full time hours and was still down as a moon lighter. Promise after promise. Just a number there. Used personal things to do the work.
Management was helpful
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC24 June 2018
I helped measure out all of the parts needed for the vehicles daily, and the management was there as a helpful guide on what and how to do the job necessary.
Gérante de territoire
Area fiel manager (gérante de territoire) (Current Employee) –  Lanaudière, QC4 December 2018
Bonne emploie, acquis beaucoup d'expérience avec cette emploi, mais ne me convient plus car j'ai besoin de nouveaux défis et avoir un travail d'un compagnie qui prenne en considération la vie familialle.