U-Haul
Information from U-Haul:

U-Haul Employee Reviews

Canada281 reviews
Your Experience at UHaul Depends on Fellow Employees and Manager
I enjoyed working there, but couldn't work there forever. If I could stay inside and answer phones, schedule, and clean, it would have been the job for me! Standing outside in -20 degree weather, every morning, cleaning off windshields and sweeping trucks wasn't enjoyable for me.
Pros
It was a paying job and most of the workers were awesome to be around!
Cons
Winter mornings were tough.
Unorganized
This place is very unorganized nobody answers phones no protocol for calling in sick 1 person is the boss if they aren't working or answering your calls or texts you are screwed different answers from everyone working there. Also never garaunteed hours you annoy the boss in anyway hours get cut.
Bad place to work in my opinion
customers throw stuff at you when you don't give them what they want. Everything is your fault. Management does nothing and expects the reps to operate a fork lift, manage customers, inspect equipment and perform repairs on trucks and trailers only making $14 a hour... hard to get full time and there's no advancement at all part timers get no benefits
Awesome company
UHaul is a great company to work for and really takes care of their employees. Fast-paced environment but competitive wages. It's nice to feel appreciated , top-notch management!
An okay place to work
Overall, it’s pretty good to work there and the coworkers make it better. You get some bad customers but that’s for all retail. You don’t get benefits unless you ask after 3 months. Job security is super low, unless they have enough money at the locations they let you go right before 3 months so you get 0 benefits and they don’t need a reason to let you go.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
No job security
Great place to work part time
U-haul offers a pleasant working environment and a stable job as they would always appreciate more help. The team at 2500 Barnett Highway are a joy to work with, especially if you have a good work ethic.
fast paced work environment
Hooking up & disconnecting trailers, selling moving supplies, cleaning trucks & trailers after returns, making reservations in person & over the phone, etc.
Easy going Job
Reasonably easy going work with not too much pressure while keeping one busy enough to still enjoy it. Ensuring vehicle in good condition, sign of rentals, etc.
8 Months and Still Going Good
Can't complain. When applying to the CSR position it was an easy test online to finish the application. A couple days later I got a call for interview.
The manager and assistant manager were both there and they were very kind. Talked about what the job entitles and informed me that until I got my uniform shirt that I was to keep it casual if I got the job. Will say that explained enough in the interview to really make you realize what the job entitles. Got a call at couple days later for the job.

In the end I've been working here for less than a year but everything that I have learned here has helped improve me. Learned to deal with good and bad customers. Learned to always be dressed appropriately for the job. Been trained by very good people.

Sure there is a lot to do. But you can always take your time and make sure you do it right every time. Never been made to feel like I was not welcomed. The location I work at is the best job I've ever had. It's like a family here.

Cheers to the staff and managers for always being helpful.
Don't apply there
They hire anyone right away but then you have a 5days study and test to do thats require you to learn everything from the start from which you have a final test and mist have 100% or you get terminated .. very racist and degratong environment
Pros
You get paid
Cons
The salary is low no benefits
Good.
Was a good job. I really enjoyed it. They're very organized, the position required a level of organization from your end as an Area Manager in order to make things work.
Not a bad job
Would still be working there if they did not force me to quit right before I was to go on disability. Manager did not care I was sick and getting ready for surgery. Told me I either work right up to surgery even with letter from doctor. Found out a year after I left they will do this so they do not have to pay put disability
Pros
Very fun place to work
Cons
The manager
Nepotism
Upper management overlooks great workers and give friends or family members who have way less experience and can barely drive the better positions. I was told that the reason I was not made manager was because It looks better for women to be in charge
everything is done via Arizona Head Office
title sumes up most of it, turns out the Head Office in Arizona designs and builds all equipment and trucks for North America, very corporate culture, all job apps done via Arizona
Very team oriented
A typical day at work is mostly calm but can be a little overwhelming with how large the facility is and it can be a lot to clean. Learned that i would prefer doing reception work like answering phone calls and taking reservations.
not a bad job, but poorly managed
I had a bad experience with a sadistic manager. I will not go into detail. Otherwise, it's not a bad job, particularly if you work in the office, although depending on your skill you may be underpaid.
They have a good working environment. Manager is really kind and respectful. Work is slow in winter but in summer work is fast because of more rentals
I like my job and colleagues are really good its a good job with good pay as per work. Moreover they have good benefits for the part time as well full time employees.
Management doesn't care. Not worth the pay cheque.
Honestly, truly, and without a doubt, i would rather sell myself on the street for a 10 cents a go than ever work here again.
Upper-Management consistently gossips about you to other employees. Central head office will literally call and scream at you for 15 minutes about a mistake you didn't make before they realize they called the wrong person and hangs up without apologizing.

Managers at Vine St South location in St.Catharines are verbally abusive and vocally judgmental about your appearance and work ethic as they sit outside the door ALL DAY chain smoking.

This company hires people they believe to be meek enough to comply to ridiculous standards and directions at minimum wage.

The amount of embezzlement - just wow.

This is not a job, it is a prison sentence.
They cut every corner and front line staff pay the price
U-Haul cuts every single corner in existence to get their flagship $19.95 rate, and it's the team members who pay the price. To avoid paying benefits they keep all positions part time (except management), so every store is staffed by a motley crew of people who only work there a couple days a week and don't take it seriously as it's not their primary source of income.

The company creates the illusion of having the "best rate" by completely obfuscating their rate and reservation system. More vehicles are packed into their yard than what could possibly fit and when customers can't pull in or out because the lot is packed full it's the staff who have to deal with the chaos. And when renters find out they have to pay more than $19.95 or their rental vehicle isn't at their requested location, it is the staff who they will take it out on.

Staffing levels are kept at a bare minimum so there's seldom enough staff to handle renting, returning, and cleaning vehicles. Staff who work outside in rain or snow cleaning trucks and dragging trailers around by hand earn the same wage as someone who sits at the counter doing paperwork all day.

It can be a decent job in the short term for a bit of income if you have no other choice and don't get too emotionally invested into it.
its an okay place to work
the people were nice the customers were rude the traffic centerv was not very helpful most of the time and always had an attitude the rules were constantly changing and thery would not provide a good amount of hours and if you did get hours the were an overwhelming amount
Pros
free food in meetings
Cons
there was no proper safety standords
not a good place to work
The awful attitude from management, the missing products to perform well at the site, no protected equipment is supplied, expectations are insane and not safe, they don't live up to their standards.