TutorBright Employee Reviews

Solid program
Health and Physical Science Education Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2019
Great people to work with - they do an exceptional job at bringing in the right people to provide educational assistance, as well as those that help with the administration duties.
Great place to work if you can commute/drive
Tutor/Mentor, Student Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2019
I've worked at tutor bright for almost 2 years now. starting pay was the most I've ever had as a student. the management and head office staff is so kind and treat you like friends. my interview was my orientation and training. maybe they've added more training since I became a tutor (I hope). despite this, the staff is always ready to give you materials to support you. they have an awesome tutor appreciation party with food and a beer tap and you get to meet all the other tutors. I also became an SCC (student success coach) and the training for this was intensive which I liked. there was always snacks at the training. this job has given me so much experience in teaching and problem solving. I was allowed to not only help kids who are struggling, but learned to teach and build someone's confidence. if you can't commute/drive, I wouldn't recommend it but overall a great job at a cool startup
Pros
Company parties, good pay, flexible hours, good for students, work from home, great management, good training (SCC)
Cons
No guarantee of hours, little to no training (tutoring), low pay compared to what the company is paid, paid monthly
Good job for PT uni students, yet low pay campared to what clients pay
TUTOR-MENTOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto5 January 2019
The management is disorganized and will not tell you of cancellations until you show up at the clients home
zero training beyond a skypecall instructing you how to use their online hub
you are paid less than 30% of what the client pays Tutorbright and they don't even chip in for transport costs
Good PT gig for current uni students with strapped time
very flexible hours -- first come first serve
getting more than 2 hours per session is impossible.
Pros
work life balance, friendly responsive (yet disorganized) staff
Cons
terrible pay for your time in contrast with how much client is paying, zero training, impossible to get decent hours
inspiring place to work and make a positive impact on the learning environment of children
Tutor Mentor (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 January 2019
Great place to work. Help students in any of their academic problems to achieve their individual best. Communication is good but sometimes can be better.
Pros
Great flexibility on work hours
Supportive Staff
Tutor-Mentor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 December 2018
Support staff are always available to help out with questions. I always had a lot of fun working with students and tailoring programs to their specific needs.
Very flexible
Assist students individually (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 December 2018
You choose your hours, the students are willing to learn and the management makes working here enjoyable. i would definitely recommend anyone that enjoys working with others to join
Pros
flexible hours good pay
Cons
paid on a monthly basis
Treated liked family.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2018
I was given the opportunity to help make the lives of others better, and was treated like family. It is the best balance of laid back and hard working in a work environment so far.
Pros
Friendly and supportive.
Cons
I could find myself working 50 hours or more during busy weeks. (10+ hours per day)
Excellent work experience!
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 October 2018
Everyone that works for head offices is super friendly and polite and seems to genuinely care about how you are doing as a tutor, which is a great feeling. They are very quick to match you with students and are very accommodating to your scheduling. Overall, would definitely recommend this job to anyone looking to gain experience as a tutor or as a precursor to teaching. This is a great company to work for!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Commuting
Flexible + Supportive Opportunities to Teach
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 October 2018
- Extremely supportive staff that always have your back. The TutorBright team matches you with students in your area, they provide you with lesson plans for each student and subject, they help fill your schedule with as many students as you'd like to work with, and always ensure you are compensated fairly for your time.
- Flexible schedule: work as many days or hours/ week as you'd like. Choose the days you prefer to teach. Book your own time off easily with your online schedule.
- Quick and easy hour tracking and invoice submission online.
- Always paid on time or earlier!
- Commute as close or as far as you wish. TutorBright does their best to match you with students within your immediate area but will expand the distance if you're interested.
Pros
Flexible schedule. Supportive staff. Provided lesson information.
Cons
None.
Amazing!
Tutor Mentor and Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2018
Supportive staff, accommodating schedules, and great values! This company is a great company to be a part of! I can choose who I commit to without any pressures and have a plethora of people to talk to when I have encountered a problem or two.
Great Job for university students
Tutor Mentor (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON17 October 2018
Very flexible, incredibly kind staff, the ability to change workload throughout the year is great. I have worked here for several years throughout university and love it!
Pros
flexible
Supportive & Driven Company
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 October 2018
I have been working for Tutor Bright for over a year now, I have felt nothing but constant support by a network of individuals who are all driven in aiding children and youth in improving their unique ways of learning. The Tutor Bright team is supportive and very accommodating for schedule changes, ensuring I have all the possible resources to help my students fulfill their learning potentials.
Great support and friendliest team!
Tutor-Mentor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 October 2018
Working as a Tutor-Mentor here for about 2 years and it's been amazing. I always know a ton about the students that I'm working with, and the team at the office gives so much support and help.
Pros
- Supportive, people who care, flexible
Cons
- none
Unreliable
Success Coach (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2018
I am a student success coach with TutorBright, and I've almost always been given the wrong address to a location that I am doing my learning assessment at. Training was described as an "education degree in a few sessions", but really just touched upon the online hub and how to deal with parents who bargain about the price of each tutoring session. The assessment materials that I was using did not align with Alberta curriculum, and was probably just brought over from Ontario curriculum.
Child Tutor
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2018
At Tutor-Bright, I got to use my experience from teaching in the field wit a variety of clients. I really enjoy being able to take what the kids need to know and creating a game format. It's as much full-fulfillment as you put into it.
Overall a fun, easy going and flexible working experience
Tutor-Mentor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 July 2018
Typical tutoring job. The management is good. They tend to their employees in a nice manner. Sometimes students have some mental health issues such as ADD which makes it hard to make them learn fast and well enough as you would hope for.
Pros
Freedom to work as little or as much as you want
Fun job, difficult logistics
Languages Tutor (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 May 2018
Unless you have reliable transportation, this is not the job for you. Involves a fair bit of travel and it is not subsidized. Fun job if you like teaching.
Pros
Ridesharing
Cons
Inconsistent locations
Enthusiastic People and Communicative
Math and Economics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2018
- Quick and Effective in getting students to the appropriate mentors.
- Tutors and students have an organized platform for communication and scheduling.
Good part-time work
Tutor-Mentor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 April 2018
I think it's really rewarding to work at TutorBright, especially if you're looking for part-time work. The company really cares for its students, and you get to pick where and who you work with. The student evaluations are thorough and they're really helpful when coming up with a good plan to work with the student. TutorBright also provides sheets to help you tutor, if you need them (but you're free to use your own stuff/none at all). They are also concerned about your wellbeing, and call pretty often to follow-up, and if you need time they definitely help set up your students with another tutor!

Hardest part of the job would be finding/getting students, since there are so many tutors, it's pretty much first-come first-serve. But they do text/email you when they have new students, based on your location (and try not to send you students that are really far from you), and just by calling in they're super nice and helpful and try to get you set up asap.
Thank you for my first job as a high school student!
In-home Tutor (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 March 2018
TutorBright me when I was in tenth grade and no prior professional teaching experience. They took me on so kindly with a pay much above minimum wage. They allowed me to make mistakes! I can't thank them enough! This is really an amazing company! In addition, I truly adore their attitude towards tutoring: it isn't simply homework help, it is to be a mentor towards the student.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TutorBright. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3