TutorBright

TutorBright Employee Reviews

Canada76 reviews
I have worked with a variety of students, at different times. My only concern is wishing I had more students to work with, otherwise it is excellent. The students are also eager to learn!
The staff makes the company a great company to be honest. They took care of me, respected me and were always on my side. In education, that is a hard thing to find and I am truly grateful that a company exists that not only cares for the kids but also their employees.
They are very flexible, open and willing to help with whatever you need to succeed in tutoring. Don't be afraid to reach out because they are there to help you with whatever you need.
Had regular email and phone correspondence with employee and employer and were able to give feedback via online hub.
Offered some resources for clients online and provided encouragement with positive responses.
The experience strongly depends on the family the applicant is being matched with. However, TutorBright works diligently to ensure a good match and they will provide feedback in case something doesn't work out
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Usually small amount of hours
It was a really great place to work. I felt engaged with my mentees, however I found it difficult to land students that were in accessible areas to me.
TutorBright supports the development of students both intellectually and personally. Through support, well-thought of curriculum and resources made available, students are able to build strong relationships and thrive.
It was an experience working there. It was a bit of money and it was a good place to tutor for my first time. The pay was okay, but once you have some experience, it is sorely lacking. All in all, not bad but not great.
Working for Tutorbright has honestly been an amazing experience. I am Chemical Engineering Student and this job is the perfect fit. Yes, most sessions are only 1-1.5 hours, but I have close to 8 students, so that can certainly make up for it. I have never had an issue being matched with a student being too far away, if they offered someone out of my range, they made sure to add compensation for the extra drive.
The biggest thing I love about tutorbright is their support. Anything you need they are there to help you and guide you.

Great company!
Pros
You work your own hours
They claimed to have 1-3 hour sessions but almost every student just wants 1. They immediately re-negged on their promise of matching me with students within 40min away and would offer me kids across the city.
The act of tutoring is enjoyable, but, when you account for un-comped travel time you only make like 10$ an hour.

I'd go for a more stable job instead.
Great for part-time income and has a great atmosphere. Great people and mentors. They will -provide references upon request as a tutor. Very flexible work hours as well.
I really enjoyed relieving the stress from the parents through increasing their childrens grades and motivation. At tutorbright, i considered myself a tutor and a mentor, as if the student was my little brother. This job gave me motivation to do well in school myself.
Pros
sometimes i made tips
Cons
not enough hours, family complications
Most session are 1-1.5h. rarely there are 2h sessions. Although you can claim mileage for your taxes (TB does not pay for it), the taxes do not cover it. Students are supposed to be within 15 minutes away. However most students that are offered 30-40 minutes away, which means now you are driving for more than 1h, for a 1-1.5h session. The families pay $50, some classes needs more than 1 a week. Yet, not a single family I had could afford over such a high cost every month. I do not know any family who could.
This is very unfortunate as you have parents who want to invest in their children but can't.
Interview process was quick and on the phone. The staff is very nice. If you are capable of teaching French, like I am, you will get lots of student offers. You can decline or accept depending on your preference and location. I love that it's on your time and easy communication with the parents. You are an independent worker. The best part of the job is having the student be very close to you and look up to you. It's a great feeling and why I love my job. Great for full-time students too.
I started tutoring with them as a way to add some experience while I was in school. While the pay is not exactly equal ($20 out of $50 charged) it is still enough and a good way to make some cash on the side.
Since it is contract, you can pick and choose how many students you want to tutor, and if need be, a lot of parents will work around your schedule if something unexpected happens to either your or their schedule. I find it best to give them my number to contact me about changes, rather than the parent company.
The staff and management are very friendly and helpful. Not much training provided outside of a Skype session showing their online hub. You are paid between $20 to $22/hr but when you factor time driving to student's home and gas especially in the winter months you are making closer to minimum wage. The good thing is you can turn down any student, so can pick students closer to you.
It's a great job if you like working with kids. Helps you learn the responsibility of learning every day and working hard to keep students on pace and organized with their own work.
This is not a job for sustaining yourself because you aren't guaranteed matches and should spend more time creating lessons than what you are paid for. However, it is a great way to gain more experience working with children. Management is supportive, attentive and helpful. You are provided with resources to use to tutor and the matches are pretty well done.
Pros
good experience
Cons
poor hours
I have nothing negative to say about TutorBright! The hours a flexible and I can choose my students based on my schedule availability. It's also rewarding to know that you are helping a student do better in the subject they are struggling with.
Ability to choose your own hours and days you want to work, as well as choosing the ages and subjects you want to tutor.
Overall, a very rewarding experience.

Only downside, driving required as tutoring is usually done in the students home.