Tutor Doctor Employee Reviews

Great Hours and Flexibility, Terrible Management
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2019
I worked with Tutor Doctor for almost 2 years. I enjoyed the flexibility and the fact that you can pick how busy you want your schedule to be. I did not enjoy being hounded over phone and email to pick up a new student so often. I also did not enjoy the passive aggressive middle aged women bullying me on the phone. I do not believe it is professional to state in a conversation "I find it funny....", when speaking to an employee; I believe it is inappropriate for the employer to speak to their employees in such a degrading manner, as one would speak to a child. Don't get me wrong, when all is swell they will behave appropriately, but they are not good at handling employer-employee conflict. A conflict arose between me and the employer regarding communication. In my honest opinion reaching out to someone once and leaving a voicemail is not cause to behave so rudely to an employee and scold them over the phone for failing to respond back, as well as remove them from the system without their knowledge. It was apparent it was not even attempted to contact me over email. In regards to taking on new students, I was questioned by my employer regarding the distance of the student from my home. In a very sarcastic and vindictive manner my employer remarked at me "How are you even going to get there, the house is so far from your home", and "You do realize how long it will take you to get there?". All in all, I am very disappointed with this management.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unprofessional Management
tutor doc
Part time Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 April 2019
a little inflexible, the drive to the houses were very long, which made it very inconvenient for me, since i am a student, by the end of each session i was very tired from the drive
Horrible company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC4 April 2019
Does not know how to pay employees on time. Does not know how to run a company. Does not know how to speak to employees. Does not know how to do anything. Employees are frustrated; people that hire this company are fustrated the and the workers there are frustrated everyone is just frustrated. This company is an absolute gongshow.
Pros
Helping a child succeed (nothing to do with the company)
Cons
Everything with this company
flexible workplace
tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2019
Productive, flexible timetables, patience is required, decent salary. Management is good, scheduling is not hectic. Have to drive to each student's house but parking is compensated. Reimbursed for any extra materials.
Pros
make your own timetable
Cons
short hours
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working as a tutor with Tutor Doctor. The management were very supportive. I was impressed with the way they handled difficult situations for me.
This is a great job for a student or teacher who wants part time hours. There are flexible hours available in the evenings and on weekends!
I would recommend Tutor Doctor as a supportive company!
Pros
Fexibility
Cons
Driving
Ok place to make a little extra money.
ENGLISH TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2019
I would meet children either in their home or the library to work on tutoring for an hour. I helped them with any liberal studies courses they were taking, as well help to prepare for diploma exams. At the end of each session I would report what we covered to the office.
There wasn't a lot of hours being offered. I worked for them in 2015, so things may have changed. Also they pay was less then if you were to work independently. My contact at the company was friendly, and would always let me know about new opportunities. When I went in for my interview the staff were not very friendly, all business. They pay is low considering the time you have to spend to plan/prepare a lesson for students.
Pros
Enjoyable job, extra cash for post secondary students.
Cons
Few hours, low pay, not paid to plan for lessons
Helpful and good variety of students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 March 2019
I enjoyed my time working with Tutor Doctor and I had a good range of students who I worked with. I did elementary Math and English Language Arts with two students, as well as doing Junior High Spanish. It was very interesting and a great feeling of helping something learn new things.
A flexible work schedule and a sense of fulfillment
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2019
A typical day at work involved traveling to the students home and helping with their academic work. This included teaching them and school material that they may not understand and helping them to complete any homework that they may have. At the end of every session a report had to be written describing what the student learned for the day and how/ what needed improvement and/ or attention.

I learned how to properly teach students and how to effectively communicate information in an understandable way. I also learned how to be more patient with people (both students and parents) and how to resolve any conflicts that may arise smoothly.

The company is run in a structured way and there is a good management team. Challenges that may arise were having to stick to a deadline that the student was comfortable with. It is important to try to help the student without making him/her feel overwhelmed and confused. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the student gain more understanding of the school material and improving their grades over time.
Flexible work hours
CONTRACT ENGLISH TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 February 2019
You will be a contract worker for the company. Great at developing you as a leader or teacher/trainer. Geared for people with the extra time, and those who persue teaching.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
no benefits, you are NOT an employee
Immature.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 January 2019
I worked for TutorDoctor for a few weeks and it was a joke. I was never asked to provide direct deposit information, the emailing was constant and unorganized and my stated availability was never taken into account. I was frequently booked appointments with no confirmation so I was never sure of where/when I was supposed to be and then reprimanded when I didn't show up...because I was never told I had an appointment. Finally when I respectfully resigned from my position, I was harassed by my manager who called me 7 times in a day before sending me an email saying I was abandoning my students and I should be ashamed of myself.
I was never paid for my work after I resigned.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
No Respect, Poor Communication
work life balance
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2019
I good work life balance. job security. A growing company. cooperative staff in all departments who like to help new employees. fun time to improve productivity
Good Casual Job for Extra Money
Tutor (Current Employee) –  London, ON14 January 2019
Working for Tutor Doctor is a great way to earn some extra money on the side of another job, or if you are in school. The flexibility to choose your own workload and own hours makes it a great choice whether you are looking to work a little or a lot. The management are super supportive and are always available if you need anything. Since you are an independent contractor when you work for Tutor Doctor, there are no benefits, which would be the only real downside. However as you most likely wouldn't be working here as your only job ( or you would be taking post secondary education at the same time) you would probably be getting benefits elsewhere anyway.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No benefits
Pros/Cons!
French, Math, English, and Grammar Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2019
Good for students! Flexible hours, lots of clients if you are willing to move around, very manageable gig if you are a student or someone looking to supplement your income.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low wages despite multitude of skill sets
Enhanced Learning Experience
Independant Contractor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 December 2018
With Tutor Doctor, the personal matching system ensures that the proper tutor is matched with the proper client such that an optimal learning experience can be established.

We provide in-depth lesson plans that are complete with the task at hand as well as the homework solved for our client.

Maintenance of discretion is an essential aspect of the learning experience.
Pros
At Home Tutoring Service, Personal Matching System, Online Scheduling Database, Income Tax Issued, Personal Revenue Sheet Online
Great job to do on the side!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2018
What is great about working for Tutor Doctor is that they interview the students before you meet them, so you know exactly what to expect and how to prepare! It is a very well-organized business. In my experience, the staff have been very personable and they've always replied to e-mails in a kind and timely manner.
A beautiful way to assist children achieve their best
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 October 2018
There's no better way than a one-on-one educational session targeted to assist each child in a way that best fits their needs and Tutor Doctor supplies that by working hard at allocating the right tutor each time as well as follow up on results.
Very professional and good work experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2018
Interview and client process was very organized and informative. Hours are mostly dependent on the client, but are often non-conflicting with personal/work/school life. Overall, the company is very professional and working here would be good experience to have - especially so for those looking to work with children or students.
Pros
Tutoring experience, good management
Underpaid, sleazy business practices -- awful place!
Writer/Blogger (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON9 August 2018
The place is chaotic, management is crooked, backbiting and meanness is rampant, pay is well below industry standard.

Truly awful place to work -- don't even think of applying!
Cons
High demand/low reward
A great place to work at
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC1 August 2018
Ever since my first contact with tutordoctor they have been very supportive. I love meeting and getting along with students and their families. Matching with a student is very easy through their website and we can choose our own hours which is always great.
Flexible and with good support from the office
Tutoring (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
The company is really well srtuctured, and offers flexibility for its employees, and an outstanding customer service experience for its clients, producing the results expected in the children or the students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tutor Doctor. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3