Tutor Doctor

Working at Tutor Doctor: Latest Tutor Doctor Reviews

Canada114 reviews

studentdoctorsessionflexibleteachingchooseparentavail

Rewarding part-time job

It is a great job if you want the flexibility of schedule, and enjoy working with kids/teens, but keep in mind there are only so many hours after school in a day (I normally work between 12 to 15 hours per week max). The management has been very supportive at this location.

Saltire juste correct sans plus

Facile de manager ces heures , tout est informatisé. Traitement discutable des clients de la part de la boîte qui peut engendrer des tentions entre les tuteurs et les parents.

Insights into Tutor Doctor

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose

It gives what you give.

Work for me here as a tutor is part-time and dynamic. It works for me, because I cannot work full-time, and I actually need flexibility. I have found that, as long as I am flexible with my students/families and the company, I get flexibility reciprocated when I need it. I have also found that the effort I put into this job (for example, taking it seriously, being punctual, communicating when there are issues, and putting my heart into trying to make a difference for students) pays off.The management is so good that, after I took some time off for a medical emergency and then seriously considered not going back to Tutor Doctor, they made me want to go back. I am very grateful for this and the company as a whole. Though reality may dictate otherwise, especially because this involves many years to come, I can imagine myself working for Tutor Doctor until I cannot possibly work anymore.It looks like it can also work for others who want to work toward something more solid, as full-time office/managerial positions pop up every now and then.

Pros

You are not forced to take on any students that you do not want.

Cons

You do not always get the students that you actually want.

A good way to gain teaching experience and supplement your income

If you're looking for tutoring work, Tutor Doctor is a good place to be employed. It lets you gain teaching experience and have a flexible schedule.

Pros

You can set your own schedule, it has a professional set up, and there are bonuses at different times of the year

Cons

It can be a pain travelling to tutoring sessions, especially if you don't have a car, though I've been doing most of my tutoring online since the pandemic.

Flexible but low pay.

The interview process was very quick and easy. A lot of flexibility to determine when and who you want to tutor. In person tutoring isn't worth it when you factor in travel time, results in getting paid less than minimum wage.

Flexible and great opportunities

Great that you can pick your students with Tutor Doctor's guidance helping to ensure a good fit between student and tutor. Freedom to figure out the best way to work with each student. Good and plentiful resources pertaining to Alberta curriculum.

Fun place to work

You mostly work with children and your experience mostly depends on the kid that you’re tutoring. It’s good pay for side income and the work isn’t too hard either.

Don’t work here

They don’t pay you well and you’re commuting to each student which is annoying. You could easily find your own clients and students to tutor and make a lot more money.

Excellent professional colleagues, amazing organization

I have had many opportunities to expand my skillset, with lots of new teaching ideas sent regularly, and different types of students added to my portfolio. The staff have been great at identifying and assigning students who fit my specialty. The online booking, reporting and invoicing really ties everything together well. The only downside comes from the nature of tutoring--students all want to book the same after school timeslots, 4-7 and Saturdays, so it is always a supplemental gig. The pandemic switch to online work has made the hourly rate actually fit the hours worked, without the lost, unpaid travel time. All in all, this is one of the best places I have ever worked.

Great work experience for soon-to-be teachers

Apart from the fact that the job allows you to decide when you wish to work, it is also incredible experience for anyone who is going to pursue teaching as a career. In addition, the management team is fantastic as they are always incredibly supportive and helpful to you as a tutor.

Pros

Flexible hours, above average rate of pay, good experience

Questionable financial practices

They charge their clients $60-80 an hour while paying their tutors only $19-24 dollars an hour.If you're ok with this, then you can enjoy picking your students and your hours at your own convenience. You won't make much dough but working with students is always rewarding.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

Low salary

Fairly easy job, pay could be better though.

They help you find students according to your needs, and are very helpful in general. Pay should be higher though as it involves driving to students.

Amazing company to work for.

I have been working for Tutor Doctor Ottawa since May 2021. I can see myself working with them long term. The owner is kind, caring and professional. I feel supported as tutor and can always talk to him if I have questions, ideas or concerns. The hours are great because I can pick my own availability to tutor. The overall values and mandate focus of student growth and success. Tutor Doctor Ottawa wants to help students and families improve their way of learning. This is a beautiful company with a beautiful team.

Pros

Unique student-tutor matching process, $20-25/hour, Independant contractor so your pay isn't taxed, Pick your own hours

Flexible hours and Excellent Students and Staff

I have been working with Tutor Doctor for three years. I love the flexibility in hours, and the ability to make my own hours. I also love my students, and management are pretty great overall. My only complaint is that the pay is only okay. It’s not terrible, but considering my education, and the price of living, it is supplementary income, not only income.

Pros

Excellent Students, Flexible Hours, Great Staff

Cons

Income

Flexible work life

This is my part time job and I love working with kids. I can choose my clients and hours per week - I don't have to work with anyone if I don't want to. The management team are supportive and available - I've never had a sense of me vs them.

Pros

Resources are available.

Cons

The pay per hour could be a bit better.

Good

Exactly what you get with Tutor Doctor. You get connected to students who you can really help and the management along with their database makes tracking your work easy, as well as give updates to the parents.

flexible work schedule

flexible work schedule, great place for student teachers and for university students to make some part time money. Have to have patience with teens and pre-teens.

Pros

flexible work schedule

an excellent company

Although my student numbers have declined due to Covid-19, (and my Internet's inability to support online learning), I am very satisfied with the my manager's ability to problem solve, provide leads when available and support me as a tutor.

Great for students

As a student, I love being able to choose my own hours and availability. It was also easy to do during the spring while I was working full time and kids were still in school since it's mostly evenings. Great management as well.

18 April 2021
We're happy to hear you've enjoyed working with Tutor Doctor!

Good Experience so Far

Expect to wait one or two weeks to be assigned your first student. However, as time goes on, you will start accumulating more students and your income increases. The pay per hour is above average compared to other similar companies.You will have access to some good teaching resources such as question banks and online tutoring tools.The supervisor is very supportive and encouraging, and replies quickly if you run into any trouble.Like any tutoring job, you need to spend some extra unpaid time before and after work (i.e. preparing lessons, writing a brief report after each session, etc.)

Pros

supportive supervisor, decent pay

Cons

need to wait a while to be assigned a student, need to do some unpaid work before and after sessions

22 January 2021
Thank you for submitting a review! There are so many benefits to being a tutor with Tutor Doctor, and we're glad to see you are experiencing those.

Excellent supervisor,great learning experience

I had an excellent suprvisor and a great opportunity to use my education to help others succed. It was great working there. I would highly recommend this company for others.

Pros

Excellent supervisor.Its great to boost others to achieve their learning goals.

Cons

Driving supplement would be nice

22 January 2021
Thank you for your review. We are happy to see that this was a rewarding experience for you!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tutor Doctor. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement