Tutor Doctor

Tutor Doctor Employee Reviews

Canada94 reviews
Very fun working enviroment. Managers are always trying to do fun activities for the staff in order to mantain a relaxed environment. It is not a "cubicle" type of office, more like an open space.
Pros
Tons of benefits and free tea
Cons
I enjoyed working with tutor doctor as they connected me to the right student who needs help. Supporting students in their assignments, clearing their doubts and explaining difficult concepts of their grade subjects was very satisfying.
Flexible job, you can make your own schedule. Work with students from their home, quiet a good experience. You are independent, you can always find your own clients too.
My experience working for Tutor Doctor helped me with my confidence level as a whole person. In addition about learning different new skills. The encouragement and step by step help. As well as involvement and contribution that you can make is a phenomial place to work in.
Pros
Team effort and spirit.
Tutor Doctor has great management; they are kind and helpful. Their online system for booking appointments and getting new students is the best I've seen.
sometime there are no students in my area, and there is a lack of communicatioin from the office; overall good experience but a need to improve the team aactivities
Very low salary, no incentives, no opportunity for growth. No annual performance reviews with an option to get a pay increase. Some management members were great, other very tough to work with.
Worked at the head office in Etobicoke. They have horrible management and the structure of the company is everywhere. There are confused on what their doing and don't appreciate the work you do. Everyone gossips about each other and they strictly believe in hierarchy.
It allowed us to make our hours. We were allowed to pick which student we wanted to teach and where. The parents and students both were on the same page as me on the first meeting day.
I loved the ethos of Tutor Doctor and the purpose of the company. The families were amazing, as were all the students that I had the pleasure of working with.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Tutor Doctor?
Really flexible hours, great for working during full time school! Managers are very helpful and always prioritize you as a tutor, very easy to approach!
Having been given the opportunity to work here has greatly improved my communication skills. As well, I feel more confident in teaching subjects which will prepare me for my future career in writing and/or teaching.
I tutored five high school students in Calculus, Advanced Functions, and Data Management and their marks increased their marks from 60 to 85 within 3 months. At last, I tracked learning progress for each student to enhance tutoring methods and helped students achieve their goals
As a teacher, you learn a lot about students and courses. I worked with many experienced teachers and educators. It was a great place to teach, learn and improve as a teacher.
This review is for a particular franchise of Tutor Doctor (TD), but as the company does not denote its franchising structure when it advertises, I would like my review to apply to the whole company.

The TD system ensures that tutors don't know what parents are being charged and vice versa. The process for getting awarded "matches" with students is completely arbitrary, and subject to the whims/favoritism of a person that is incapable of weighing the relevant factors such as your availability and mobility (but they'll argue they're looking out for your best interests).

The system for making appointments and logging hours is neatly self-contained but it requires a lot of overhead, and it does not coordinate well with external scheduling systems. Make sure you suck up to your clients; the customer is always right with these guys.
Tutor Doctor is a great place to work. A typical day would start with surfing the job board to pick up any prospective students. If you have an appointment that day, you would drive to the students house and tutor them for the agreed upon time. You are in direct contact with the parents and set your own schedule according to the student's needs and your availability.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Travel times
This is a good company to work for. The salary isnt the greatest however management is great and I would love to work for them again in the future if I needed to.
Make your own schedule, earn more pocket money and have the wonderful opportunity to meet bright young people whose academic life you'll get to see flourish!
Pros
Make your own schedule, rewarding work
Cons
Not enough students
In-home tutoring based on individual student's needs. TImes are set by the tutor and student. You must apply and successfully match with students to work. Applications are decided by the branch manager and are aimed at providing the best service to the student.
I worked with Tutor Doctor for almost 2 years. I enjoyed the flexibility and the fact that you can pick how busy you want your schedule to be. I did not enjoy being hounded over phone and email to pick up a new student so often. I also did not enjoy the passive aggressive middle aged women bullying me on the phone. I do not believe it is professional to state in a conversation "I find it funny....", when speaking to an employee; I believe it is inappropriate for the employer to speak to their employees in such a degrading manner, as one would speak to a child. Don't get me wrong, when all is swell they will behave appropriately, but they are not good at handling employer-employee conflict. A conflict arose between me and the employer regarding communication. In my honest opinion reaching out to someone once and leaving a voicemail is not cause to behave so rudely to an employee and scold them over the phone for failing to respond back, as well as remove them from the system without their knowledge. It was apparent it was not even attempted to contact me over email. In regards to taking on new students, I was questioned by my employer regarding the distance of the student from my home. In a very sarcastic and vindictive manner my employer remarked at me "How are you even going to get there, the house is so far from your home", and "You do realize how long it will take you to get there?". All in all, I am very disappointed with this management.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unprofessional Management
a little inflexible, the drive to the houses were very long, which made it very inconvenient for me, since i am a student, by the end of each session i was very tired from the drive