Turning Point Youth Services

Turning Point Youth Services Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
A typical day was in a separate office working with data.
I learned about Youth Justice programs in Ontario,

Management was good.

Workplace culture was fantastic I liked that they refereed to their clients as "our kids" which shows their commitment to their job.

Training the staff was mot enjoyable.
You need to understand that these young people have been through a lot and that they need staff who are dedicated to helping those who can't help themselves. The staff are lovely!
Good luck to the next kitchen staff for turning point on Jarvis and Wellesley. All management and staff will know more than u. your welcome will be short lived. Majority of front line workers will do what ever they can to make your day harder. The treatment of youth is disturbing.your alone.your takin advantage of. You should find work elsewhere.
Official response from Turning Point Youth Services
13 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that it was less than satisfactory. We value feedback received from all of our current and former employees. Please feel free to contact our HR department to discuss this further at any time. Thanks again.
i have no comment. there is nothing that i would like to say about this company. im quite frustrated that im being forced to write about this company as i have nothing to say and would rather leave this space blank.
It pays the bills but I just wish there was more structure. Honestly when working here make sure you have another job because you just never know with this place .
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unpredictable
In the social service field, great pay and benefits including security because of unionization. However the majority of management is discriminatory and bussiness-minded lacking compassion and understanding of frontline issues. This has created a toxic environment of burn out and bitterness.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Union
Cons
Lack of empathy
The job itself has meaning if you are truly dedicated to helping youth. It is really just the staff, the constant complaining, and rumors. the favoritism from supervisors and how people obtain their positions when others had clearly obtained more seniority over the years.
Pros
You get the opportunity to counsel and change the lives of youth
Cons
Bad staff environment, to much chatter.
Love this job, the people are great, schedule is great, youth are fun and easy to engage with. The pay is good and being a unionized position makes job security good.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Changing youths lives every day giving them a safe home. Building good relationships with the people in the home and allowing them to learn life skills.
Pros
Cooking with youth
Cons
Overall my experience working within the agency was positive. The unionized environment has ensured better wages than most mental health agencies and has given full time staff decent benefits amd excellent vacation time and sick time. Management at some locations have a history of being difficult and punative but the experience I have had personally has been professional and supportive. The agency puts the clients first above all else leading to good client reports and outcomes. Staff could be better supported with resources, structure, training and compassion. Most staff in most locations have been with the agency a long time again leading to better team structures and support. There have been opportunities for many staff to advance to new positions. All positions are offered to staff first before going external and therefore has ensured that those with experience with the agency and clients are moving up rather than those from outside the agency getting those positions.
Pros
Team environment, clients, location, wages
Cons
Some unsupportive management
I was shocked at how controlling and unreceptive to suggestions the managers were . I don't believe they had the best interests of the teens and families in mind. The organization could improve s lot but the executive director is too much of an egomaniac to listen.
Pros
The hours
Cons
Treatment of clients and families
Incredible experience to have been a part of such a wonderful team for so long. As the full time receptionist, I was able to connect with clients, their families, community members and last but never least, 195 co-workers. Every day was different, and each moment there gave me an opportunity to use my abilities to make people feel comfortable and welcome. Truly, the hardest part of the job was witnessing the struggles of some youth with personal backgrounds that were unable to provide stability and nurturing. The Turning Point Team, at all levels certainly are dedicated to offer programs that enable youth to move ahead in spite of obstacles. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to connect with so so many wonderful people on a daily basis.
Pros
Very pleasant working conditions
Cons
Not enough flexibility with regards to scheduling
I learned a lot from the staff and youth within the program. turning point taught me how to conduct conflict resolution opportunities, with a typical day consisting of engaging with youth running programming and managing multiple personalities whether its the staff or the youth.
Pros
Making all meals from scratch.
Cons
lack of job security