TURKSTRA LUMBER

TURKSTRA LUMBER Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
fun work place
start by opening gates and moving trucks out
ive learned lots form products to how to build loads

great people to work with fun events and lots of charity work
Great people, Family oriented, Good Benefits
I started in an entry-level position 10 years ago with no knowledge of building materials. I learned everything I needed to know from the more experienced people in each different position. It becomes very obvious fairly quickly who the employees are that you should learn from and emulate. If you come in with a positive attitude and you spend your time trying to learn and be helpful there will always be a place for you. They provide many opportunities to get additional training and give you the tools to excel in the company if that is your goal. The work is generally not difficult. There are times when it may be labor-intensive or require focus/attention to detail, but it’s by no means rocket science and there are always people around to help you in every position. They are the type of company that gives bonuses when they can, they’ll sponsor your kid’s baseball team, and the host employee events that you actually look forward to attending (and inviting your spouse). They are very transparent in terms of where the company's focus is. The president visits each location at least once a year to lay out the companies plan for that year and he gives every single employee in the company an opportunity to give input or ask questions.
Trash
Minimum wage to lift heavy lumber, drive a forklift, load rude know it all contractors vehicles. All while being treated like garbage. They pay 16/he for DZ driver. Dog for that trash money I'm not even leaving the yard with my delivery!
Fun
I met alot of good people in my time here. fast paced environment. it can be abit unorganized but for the most part it is a great place to get some experience on forklift or driving straight truck.
Was good till you ask for a raise.
If your a driver helper and you do a good job for the customer and they want to tip You, you should be able to keep it.
You don't give 3 month review's, or offer incentives to create a loyal work force.

But all in all I'd have to say it was good
Poor work environment and pay
The employees all gossip about each other behind their backs and are not very mature. Very inconsiderate staff for the majority of the locations. Very poor paying job. They ask a lot of you and do not compensate for it. They're more worried about taking their employees on a vacation than increasing wages.
Pros
BBQ Fridays during the nice weather.
Cons
Poor pay, long hours
friendly
managers are friendly, tight knit company, generally underpaid staff, culture is quite awesome but, the downside is poor wages. hardest part of the job could be some of the clientele
Amazing so far!
I've had a great experience so far. They treat their employees like people. All my coworkers have been helpful and understanding. Looking forward to a long career at Turkstra!
Ok
Overall it's a great job it's not that much of a a big deal people's all right management is okay the pay is the problem. We need more money you should be getting paid at least 21 bucks in an hour
Cons
they are a verey porductive and fun people to work with .
i really like to working with turkstra they are so porductive in what they doing ..on like to give back to people ..i think they are is one of the best in canada ...
Pros
sometimes
Cons
i always work long hours
a great family company to work for
As an employee of close to 10 years now, i couldn't be more happy to know i made the right choice for myself and my family to choose Turkstra as my employer. They never fail to amaze me by their community support and the support of their staff. This is a company that gets it right. They care about the health and safety not only of their employees but their employees families, and customers. They give back to their employees the same way they give to their community. My only regret is not coming to work here a decade and half sooner. The senior management staff is beyond supportive giving us the tools and guidance to get better at our jobs. For the first time in my almost 3 decades of being in the work force, management comes to me and asks what they can do to help. I have never had this experience and the trust they have in me and others to do our jobs well makes me feel right at home. Thank you!
Pros
family atmosphere, Sundays off, fun place to work, room to grow
Cons
none i can think of
Turkstra Lumber
This company was very bad to work for as mostly a yard staff in college. The management doesn't seem to know what its doing most of time. And never gave me and many other people their benefits even when promised in contracts. Some people took 7 to 10 years to get theirs and in contract it says between 3 to 6 months. Also they don't follow most of their own procedures and almost never prioritize their staff. I worked there for over 2 years and saw many people come and go in that time. I only recommend this job to get your foot in the door and then look for something better when you can. Only real perk is a discount on materials.
Pros
discount on materials
Cons
poor conditions, little to no support from management, underpaid, no raises
Fast paced work enviornment
Turkstra Lumber is a family run company that tries to provide excellent customer service to its customers. It is a full service lumber yard ans carries many hard to find products that customers want. The hours are good and you always have Sunday off.
Turksta Lumber
I bunch of dip-sh*ts work here. The guy who runs there social media on Facebook is the biggest numb-nut ever! They have no concern for making sure the employees are paid well, min wage is all you'll ever get here. There to worried about going on trips to Mexico and throwing parties, here's an idea put that money from a trip or party into the employees pays. Have as*ed, backwords company.
Cons
Poor management style, outdated pay structure
Why work for another company and make a lot of money? Come work for turkstra, where many long term employees (5-10 years +) make minimum or slightly over. Like raises? At turkstra, some employees never had one for years.

Benefits? After 2 years or more, if your lucky. There is a comitee that decides that.

Store management down is ok at times, but its the upper echelons you have to fear. They will try and fire or layoff someone that looks at them funny, or has a bad day on front of them. You must be appricative of the gifts they give you. Employment at turkstra should be considered an HONOUR.

Sure, every year Turkstra donates to charities, but they neglect their employees everytime. Go and look at food banks, or money lenders at how many are wearing their turkstra uniforms.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, poor concern for employees
Staff is ok, Management another Story
The Staff to work with is ok, but the management style leaves a LOT to be desired. The pay wages are 5-10 in the past. Benefits are mediocre, barely covering around half of whats needed to survive. No clothing allowances other than winter attire.

You are asked to do EVERY position there, no titles, but all expectations are thrown upon you.
Pros
Friendly Staff Out Back
Cons
Mediocre at best front staff and management
Low pay , expect a lot of work , average/bad management .
Very cheap company in general they micromanage every cent and second of your day .
Management overloads people , you will often do more than one persons job .
Pros
Hours guaranteed / security
Cons
Management / low salary
customer service
waiting on customers, bank deposits and material ordering was my day. Overseeing daily operations, Loved working and dealing with customers so they are happy with the end result.
Overall it is an average place to work at
the atmosphere at Turkstra lumber is an average one at best, the employees at Turkstra are very nice and are fun to be around, however the management needs some improving as to better suit the employees, the wage is below average for the amount of work that is required by the employee. overall this job is average and needs some improving.
I enjoy working for Turkstra Lumber and would recommend to anyone.

Turkstra's head office is a professional environment. Working as part of a team is what they strive for.
Pros
lots of bonuses
Cons
not enough hours
Typical building supplies company
Company has good standing in southern Ontario, I would work for them again, when I was there they needed updated equipment. Lots of room for advancement in this company.