TURKSTRA LUMBER Employee Reviews

Amazing so far!
Administration (Current Employee) –  Hamilton/Stoney Creek12 November 2018
I've had a great experience so far. They treat their employees like people. All my coworkers have been helpful and understanding. Looking forward to a long career at Turkstra!
Ok
Roof truss Builder (Former Employee) –  Smithville, ON16 October 2018
Overall it's a great job it's not that much of a a big deal people's all right management is okay the pay is the problem. We need more money you should be getting paid at least 21 bucks in an hour
Cons
they are a verey porductive and fun people to work with .
Manual Labourer /builder (Current Employee) –  Smithville, ON14 October 2018
i really like to working with turkstra they are so porductive in what they doing ..on like to give back to people ..i think they are is one of the best in canada ...
Pros
sometimes
Cons
i always work long hours
a great family company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON18 September 2018
As an employee of close to 10 years now, i couldn't be more happy to know i made the right choice for myself and my family to choose Turkstra as my employer. They never fail to amaze me by their community support and the support of their staff. This is a company that gets it right. They care about the health and safety not only of their employees but their employees families, and customers. They give back to their employees the same way they give to their community. My only regret is not coming to work here a decade and half sooner. The senior management staff is beyond supportive giving us the tools and guidance to get better at our jobs. For the first time in my almost 3 decades of being in the work force, management comes to me and asks what they can do to help. I have never had this experience and the trust they have in me and others to do our jobs well makes me feel right at home. Thank you!
Pros
family atmosphere, Sundays off, fun place to work, room to grow
Cons
none i can think of
Turkstra Lumber
Counter and Yard Staff (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON16 July 2018
This company was very bad to work for as mostly a yard staff in college. The management doesn't seem to know what its doing most of time. And never gave me and many other people their benefits even when promised in contracts. Some people took 7 to 10 years to get theirs and in contract it says between 3 to 6 months. Also they don't follow most of their own procedures and almost never prioritize their staff. I worked there for over 2 years and saw many people come and go in that time. I only recommend this job to get your foot in the door and then look for something better when you can. Only real perk is a discount on materials.
Pros
discount on materials
Cons
poor conditions, little to no support from management, underpaid, no raises
Fast paced work enviornment
Counterman (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ON1 May 2018
Turkstra Lumber is a family run company that tries to provide excellent customer service to its customers. It is a full service lumber yard ans carries many hard to find products that customers want. The hours are good and you always have Sunday off.
Turksta Lumber
Front Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 March 2018
I bunch of dip-sh*ts work here. The guy who runs there social media on Facebook is the biggest numb-nut ever! They have no concern for making sure the employees are paid well, min wage is all you'll ever get here. There to worried about going on trips to Mexico and throwing parties, here's an idea put that money from a trip or party into the employees pays. Have as*ed, backwords company.
Cons
Poor management style, outdated pay structure
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton area25 March 2018
Why work for another company and make a lot of money? Come work for turkstra, where many long term employees (5-10 years +) make minimum or slightly over. Like raises? At turkstra, some employees never had one for years.

Benefits? After 2 years or more, if your lucky. There is a comitee that decides that.

Store management down is ok at times, but its the upper echelons you have to fear. They will try and fire or layoff someone that looks at them funny, or has a bad day on front of them. You must be appricative of the gifts they give you. Employment at turkstra should be considered an HONOUR.

Sure, every year Turkstra donates to charities, but they neglect their employees everytime. Go and look at food banks, or money lenders at how many are wearing their turkstra uniforms.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, poor concern for employees
Staff is ok, Management another Story
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton Area22 February 2018
The Staff to work with is ok, but the management style leaves a LOT to be desired. The pay wages are 5-10 in the past. Benefits are mediocre, barely covering around half of whats needed to survive. No clothing allowances other than winter attire.

You are asked to do EVERY position there, no titles, but all expectations are thrown upon you.
Pros
Friendly Staff Out Back
Cons
Mediocre at best front staff and management
Low pay , expect a lot of work , average/bad management .
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON14 February 2018
Very cheap company in general they micromanage every cent and second of your day .
Management overloads people , you will often do more than one persons job .
Pros
Hours guaranteed / security
Cons
Management / low salary
customer service
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 November 2017
waiting on customers, bank deposits and material ordering was my day. Overseeing daily operations, Loved working and dealing with customers so they are happy with the end result.
Overall it is an average place to work at
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON27 October 2017
the atmosphere at Turkstra lumber is an average one at best, the employees at Turkstra are very nice and are fun to be around, however the management needs some improving as to better suit the employees, the wage is below average for the amount of work that is required by the employee. overall this job is average and needs some improving.
A/P Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 October 2017
I enjoy working for Turkstra Lumber and would recommend to anyone.

Turkstra's head office is a professional environment. Working as part of a team is what they strive for.
Pros
lots of bonuses
Cons
not enough hours
Typical building supplies company
Yard Foreman (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 July 2017
Company has good standing in southern Ontario, I would work for them again, when I was there they needed updated equipment. Lots of room for advancement in this company.
Didn't enjoy it, unproductive mean work environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Smithville, ON19 June 2017
-Typical day involved hammering plates into trusses, carrying lumber
-learned how to hammer and lift things
-management seemed un knowledgable about the type of work being done
-the work culture was depressing, alot of angry unhappy people
-hardest part was putting up with everyone at the company, no respect, very harsh interpersonal interactions
-there wasn't any enjoyable part of the job just a pay cheque
Pros
Cons
environment, other employees, the work itself, lack of safety
Physica
Load Builder/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON13 May 2017
Start at 7am make sure trucks are prepared for delivery and prepare orders for the next day. Deal with customers. Customer satisfaction use chain saw and diverse tools
working with high demand customers with many needs
Contractor Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 February 2017
At turkstra Lumber i had to work with many contractors that where on the phone constantly. Always having to solve problems without being on site. This has shown me ways that make me understand the situation and see what i can do to solve it without being there. Having to put together orders and material lists for big jobs has also taught me ways and forms that orders have to be out in and shipped out to avoid extra materials on site and have everything in the right order.
Pros
working hand in hand with huge conractors
Cons
not much site time
Awesome Place to work
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 January 2017
Easy going environment
Fun place to work
Face paced
Learned a lot of industry tricks of the trade

Great started job, lots of room to grow and a great place to work
great place
Lumber Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON17 January 2017
very well kept yard and ware house go down if you need anything for general contractors or just a DIY home project they will help you out any questions
Poor job.
General labour - Warehouse staff (Former Employee) –  Smithville, ON7 September 2016
This was a very poor place to work at, The pay wasn't good, Supervisors didn't know what they were doing. Not a very friendly atmosphere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TURKSTRA LUMBER. Our community is ready to answer.