Tropicana Community Services Organization Employee Reviews

Challenging but fun work enviorment
Youth Worker Leader/Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2015
Typical day at work : Admin work / Outreach / Prospect for employers
Participants are between the age of 15-19
6 week paid placement
Summer program
Pros
Rewarding experience
Cons
3 month contract for summer jobs for youth program
Challenging yet fullfilling work environment
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Barnabas Catholic School, Scarborough, ON24 April 2015
Working with Tropicana for the past four years has been an amazing learning experience. It provided growth in terms of social skills, customer servicing, stress management, patience, cooperative skills, and conflict resolution.

A typical day at Tropicana would be briefing with the supervisor about issues or things to address throughout the day. Then I would talk to my staff in my room/group/section (Coordinator position) about goals to reach for the day. We, as a team, alternately run programs, lessons, and games with the children (aged 4-14) while preparing for programs later in the season or day. I would tell my staff when to leave for lunch or break, coordinate pizza lunches (fridays) for the children, contact parents, facilitate and participate in trips (museum, pool, wonderland, etc), plan for events like parent's night.
Cons
long overtime and take home duties