Trojan Safety Services Management reviews

Total anger and laughable
Medic (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC27 March 2019
At no time have I ever experienced such a comical company to work for. The management you have to laugh off or you'll go insane with their way of thinking, planning and general way of speaking.
No training required, just thrown in an MTC and sent off into the wild. Trucks are written off annually. No bonuses and expected to jump at every call for work with no notices. I've heard they give a $100 gift card for groceries which I didn't stay around for.....
Pros
Laughing behind managements back
Cons
No bonuses, low pay
Great Environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC11 March 2019
Happy to say I’ve worked at Trojan for well over a year now. They have been very flexible with my schedule and have given me the opportunity to learn and grown in my position.
Management has been very approachable and listen to any concerns and try to find solutions.
Pros
Dog friendly and free lunches at safety meetings
Official response from Trojan Safety Services
14 March 2019

Rachel, it has been a pleasure working with you over the past year. You have easily been one of the best receptionists we've ever had. Your friendly attitude and outstanding work ethic are just a few of the wonderful things you bring to our organization. Thank you for all you do, and I look forward to continuing working with you into the future.

Junk
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  BC7 February 2019
Horrible place to work. Manegment sucks and treated with so much disrespect. Some times the guys that run that gong show should really open there eyes and treat there people better.
Great Place to Work
Medic (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC5 February 2019
I been with Trojan Safety Services for 10+ years working as a medic this company has afforded me a great life and for that I'm thankful. If you work hard and that ethic shows there is room for advancement management notices. It is a young management team and yes there is room for learning and improving. I see the negative comments and one would just have to assume a disgruntled employee posting over and over how terrible this company is. I would just like to say that it's NOT, you get what you put in just like any other job. This job is not for everyone and for those that stick it out, there are rewards.

TEAM TROJAN
Pros
Lots of work
What a joke
Medic (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, Fort st john28 January 2019
Idiot management, sub par pay, no notice for work, tossed aside when slow. These are the facts working here. I've worked at other safety companies and they have normal employers. These look like received a shovel across the face
Pros
Called "my friend" repeatedly
Cons
You are expendable
Don't waste your time
Field Medic (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC9 January 2019
This is the upmost terrible place I've ever worked at. I spent a few years there and under the original owners management it was.... Ok, now however it was handed over to his entitled, narcissistic son. Any other women or guys who are considering this place I urge you to reconsider. If you still chance it, you'll see what I mean. Review this place as people need to be aware of the conditions and treatment you are put through
Pros
Humorous management
Cons
Low pay, treated terrible, back stabbed
Awful, awful place
Field Medic/fire (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC9 January 2019
This is actually what goes on there. First, it's a family run company, most of them appear to have had a stroke but narcissistic beyond belief. They will pretend to be your best friend and if a girl the owners son however handicapped looking will attempt at putting the moves on you. If you can get past this and make it to the field you'll realize you don't mean anything to them. Told to drive out in the bush for very little pay (200-300$/12hr shift) equals around $20/hr roughly. Minimum wage is $15 so let that sink in. You'll be accountable for any issues you encounter regardless of your fault or not. They'll kick you to the curb soon as the slow down comes and there is no loyalty for this soulless family. Take my advice and never work here unless you want a good laugh.
Pros
Steal supplies
Cons
Family who runs it
H2S Specialist/Industrial Firefighter/Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Based out of Fort St Johns26 December 2018
I worked for Trojan safety for 18 months as a H2S Specialist/
Firefighter/Paramedic. Pay was excellent.Management was great to deal with. Training courses are available through Trojan to advance your skills. I learned a lot from Trojan during my time there, which I hope will help me further my future career path.
Pros
Good pay, Management is very accommodating.
Cons
Oil patch can be isolated
consistant work
Medic (Former Employee) –  BC29 September 2018
- up at 5 / check in workers / toolbox meetings / do risk assessment / check inventory / administer first aid when needed and complete and submit paperwork / sign out workers / 12 hr shift
- learned dynamics of job
- management was always available
- can be camp culture or daily shift staying in motel
- isolation / being away from home for 21 - 28 days
- enjoyed meeting people and being able to help someone
Pros
good pay
Cons
isolated
Disappointment
Industrial Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 November 2017
Unfortunately, I went into this company with high expectations. They are unorganized and out of touch with their employees. The equipment/vehicles are abused by the employees, and their is a lack of respect between the equipment and the company. This type of culture stems from the top. This company could be great but there is a misguided approach from the top down. Not enough training and they defiantly treat you like a number and not an employee. Since I have started there is a sense of entitlement that people carry about in the company. What their website represents is a contradiction to their actions.
Pros
Great on the resume, Door into the oil industry, Some experience if you get it. long work hours
Cons
Lack of training, Management, Culture, No Accountability
Wish I would have known better
Level 3 First Aid (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC8 October 2017
Horrible management. Brushed off and lied to. Empty promises of a raise. Employees who suck up to dispatch and management get the best jobs even when you have worked there longer. Substandard medical equipment and trucks. Hire EMR’s and PCP’s and they don’t even have the equipment for that level of training. They encourage their staff to not ask for days off because they are so short handed. Staff housing is gross. Below average pay for medics. Below average LOA. The only good thing was it helped me make a bit of money to pay my bills and get me some experience as a medic in oilfield.
Pros
Cons
Horrible management
Industrial Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC24 September 2017
Management does not follow labour laws. Management once tried to make a coworker pay $20,000 for damage to a fire truck that was damaged during working hours. The culture was horrible if you weren't a white male. Hours were great and lots of shifts.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Horrible management
dont waste your time
Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC4 May 2017
this company would screw up a free lunch
they put you in a strip bar while training
the two townhouses are one word GROSS
little training before they throw you to the wolfs
apply elsewhere
Pros
Cons
everything
Lots of work. humorous management.
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC16 December 2016
Trojan has long stints of work where you can be away for up to 21 days at a time. For a bachelor that likes to work this is the place for you.
Management is friendly and can be joked around with while still being proffesional. Makes for a nice work enviroment.
Pros
Free lunch at saftey meetings. Lots of training. Lots of hours. Living allowance when in a hotel.
Cons
Long hours. Unpredictable hours.
Please ladies look elsewhere!
First Aid Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC18 October 2016
I have spent quite the duration of time here and had a few benefits but most negative. Since graduating high school a girl moved up there claiming it was a great place. I gave it a try only to find otherwise. Being a medic you'll see an entourage of less than educated people to work with, terrible hours, management, and pay. They get you with the so called "day rate" which consists of 12hr shifts and say it pays well. If you break it down I was making less than $20 and hour! Which is unacceptable for the modern system. Then having to deal with the staff is another story. Please give more consideration before wasting a trip up there. Okanagan pays close even for a 9-5 job and you keep your sanity and most of all dignity
Pros
Absolutely none
Official response from Trojan Safety Services
21 October 2016

I’m sorry to hear that your experience working as a First Aid Attendant for us has been so negative. I want to clarify a few things for the people that read this post:
1. Those “less than educated people” that you speak of, are for the most part, awesome people. The oil and gas industry is a unique environment, in that, people are able to afford a higher standard of living without having the luxury of a formal education. This, by no means, makes them any less smart. In fact, many of them will learn things that most people in the world take for granted when they put fuel in their cars, or have heat for their homes.
2. We have never offered a day rate. We have always offered a fair hourly rate, with guaranteed 12 hours. The wages are discussed, and agreed to, long before anyone is committed to leaving the place they call home, and coming to Fort St. John, or any of our other branches for work. You’ll find no argument that there are higher paying hourly jobs in the Okanagan, however, in my experience, there is not typically the overtime available in the Okanagan to help make up the wages that come from working in the oil and gas industry.
3. You’re right. It’s long days. And again, that is something that is clear with everyone that interviews with Trojan Safety. We don’t hide it. It’s the industry, it’s part of the job, and it’s not for everyone.
As far as your comment of poor management, I know that we are not perfect. But we are always learning, and want to understand what could help make us better. So, if you’re willing to help, I’d love to hear how we could improve. Let me  more... know if you would like to get in touch on a more private forum, and I’d be happy to set something up.  less

Positive additudes in the office. New, clean and well maintained equipment in the field
Field Medic (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 October 2016
Trojan has an excellent training base and offers employees the ability to diversify their skill set with in house training. A great feature which will increase your employability if work gets slow in your first job scope.

Working in the oil patch always has its ups and downs, no matter where you work. Long hours and last minute gigs are part of the job. When the oil company calls a service company needing services now, you have to do what's necessary to fill the job. Trojans office staff does the leg work to make sure you have everything you need to get you going on a job. If long hours, long drives, short notice gigs and making great money isn't for you, I hear walmart is hiring.

If you're a competent employee who takes pride in your work they go the extra mile to make sure you're happy. A positive additude goes really far in this industry. You need a strong work ethic to enjoy this type of work, and the people who have it, love this job.
Pros
Work as much as you want, great pay, knowledgeable and helpful management
Cons
Typical oil and gas cons.
good company to work for
H2S Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC14 October 2016
decent company to work for in my experience
great equipment and support staff
Never had an issue with coworkers or management

the most enjoyable part of this work
is that it takes place in the great outdoors

not so enjoyable when it's sub-zero

it was an overall great experience
Pros
lots of work
Cons
to much work
Terrible Company
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 September 2016
Save yourself the 5 mins of applying here. Place is full of idiots. Pay isn't great. Totally pretended to care about employees but will leave you teats up in a ditch before any compensation.
Pros
Vehicle to drive all over, unhook GPS
Cons
Starting day
A day in the life of an Oilfield Medic
Oilfield Medic (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BC18 February 2016
For one who enjoys to travel, drive and don't live a routine daily job life, then being an Oilfield Medic is the job for you. Although, make $16.00 hr to start what I have learned on the job far out weighs the materialistic side of life.
As holding a Construction Safety Officer certificate, I've learned many important aspects of what it would take to be a CSO in the Oilfield as watching the day to day operations go as far as such regulations that pertain to Service Rigs, Confined Spaces, Fall Arrest, H2S to name a few.
The management team from the owner to the shop far exceeded my expectations of any team I have ever been graced to be a part of in my life.
My co-workers too are a diverse, willing to help at anytime kind of family.
The most enjoyable part is getting to see the country side of the Peace area.
Pros
Free lunches at Safety meetings, family oriented team
Cons
washroom facilities as for someone with a fear of public washrooms
Huge employee turn over at this company
Medic ~ Level 3 OFA (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC27 February 2015
Non existent "Journey Management" Team! No one keeps track of their employees travelling on treacherous roads with horrible winter conditions...
No care or concern from higher-ups for new employees.
No one ever works here very long :(

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trojan Safety Services. Our community is ready to answer.