Trent University

Trent University Employee Reviews

Canada80 reviews
I really enjoyed working with university faculty and other students. It was an easy process and a great way to manage my time effectively between school, work, and leisure.
As a student, Trent was a great place to work so that education and work happened at the same place. Work within the Chemistry Department was really fulfilling and helped me feel more integrated with my overall university experience. All the staff and supervisors were really friendly and encouraging. I gained relevant experience for any future chemistry positions I may pursue as well as connections. I loved that my jobs had immediate impact and importance to other students. The only "difficult part of the job was working around my class schedule to find available working times, however there is a lot of flexibility offered so it wasn't too bad.
I would definitely recommend working on campus to any Trent students.
Working at Trent University provided my with insight on the dynamics of transmitting information. The size of the school allowed me to get to know the students and understand how their mind work. It gave me an appreciation on how people think. Working at Trent was a great experience and I would recommend a job a Trent to anyone attending.
Was not payed well compared to other jobs of the same level. Constant turnover in management that led to a disorganized work environment. Problematic employees were not disciplined.
This job was great to have during school (it is a job specifically for students). It was not very well structured, in my opinion. Expectations were not clear and feedback was difficult to obtain until it is too late.
It's a nice productive and fun workplace. The staff is very nice and collaborative. You get to learn a lot of new things. There is a pool table in the on-campus pub where you can go and play with friends and relax after work.
I had a short contract and there's tons of departments so I can't say much. Faculty I interacted with are friendly. Enough funding for necessary supplies.
I was such an honor working in Trent University. I learned a lot, I had such swamping time there. My income was satisfactory. But, it was a temporary job not a permanent. So, I have to find a job now.
A typical work week is spent doing about 10 hours of grading, 5 hours of tutoring out of lad and an hour of tutoring after labs. Lab prep and completion takes 6 hours biweekly.
Overall, it's a good place to work. The students like the environment and most of one's colleagues are cooperative and collegial. It has a strong physics curriculum and the students that I taught seemed to be doing very well after graduating.
Pros
Good colleagues and students.
Cons
Demanding teaching load.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Trent University?
Had a great few months at the start, but there are a lot, a lot, a lot, of politics at the University. It is a beautiful environment and it has so much potential, but the politics and gossipy culture amongst some of the staff, i.e. seniority and things of that nature make it really tough as they can be downright mean.
Pros
Almost free classes if interested, good money and beneifts, beautiful campus
Cons
Poitical, prolems with staff that has been there for years, very cliquey.
Working as a Don is a great experience but compared to other universities, you get paid little to nothing because you end up still having to pay for your room; one way or another. Other than that, a great job with an awesome support group
I worked couple different jobs at Trent as a student. I worked as a grader for one of my proferssors and was paid very fairly. I also worked at our restaurant at the university which was fun too.
I hoped to cover the costs of living better but that was not possible with the pay. It is great to provide support for first year kids although I did not appreciate living exactly where I worked, which the job entails.
Awesome place to work I enjoyed my time there. I gained many new skills and gained more confidence when speaking to those who have donated to Trent in the past. It was a great job that helped me fund my undergraduate degree.
I love coming into work every day. What I enjoy most is the amazing atmosphere and the people I have worked with the past 12 years. The skills and hands on experiences, knowing that my job is making a difference and contributing to the importance of the environment. I confidently carry my experiences and skills I have developed with deep pride. However the only down fall is knowing that your employment is not secure as it is contract.
Working at Trent is an amazing experience. It is a great place to start if you are a student there, with the many on campus work available. Would recommend planning ahead and seeing ways you can advance there because that is a sure way to secure a job right after your done with your degree.
Fun place to work, good opportunities to grow but sometimes it is difficult based on your department. The environment is really welcoming and accepting. And Trent is ranked #1 for undergrad so they must be doing something right.
As an academic assistant, your main job is to help students retain course material and put it into practice through seminars or labs. Through my work, I've learned that not everybody learns in the same way. I had to incorporate visual, kinesthetic, and auditory learning techniques to ensure everybody grasped the material appropriately. The best part of the job is watching students' confidence grow throughout the term.
Good place to work. Good work/social balance. I felt challenged but not ever overworked. Pay was good. Good place to work. Lots of opportunities to succeed.
I loved doing my MA in Canadian and Indigenous Studies here, and I learned a lot about group facilitation of sensitive topics as a TA in Gender and Women's Studies. I appreciated working with diverse students and expanding my own knowledge of Gender and Human Rights research.