Treasury Board Secretariat

Treasury Board Secretariat Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
Enjoyed my time there - Great people, Great Benefits.

The work was very interesting and challenging. Required a lot of strategic thinking and collaboration.
Pros
People; Benefits; Work Life Balance
Everyone is warm and welcoming and willing to sit down with you to guide you through proper steps for completing assigned tasks. Never scared to ask for help.
Most importantly I learned in TBS is work priority, taking the ownership of tickets, co-ordinate with the clients, reporting to higher management team. The most enjoyable part is first effort of resolution of the tickets is mine and than after research by myself and than co-ordinate with the TIER 3 support and learning the things.
Could use more documentation for IT techs. Its hard to find what you are looking for and you need it to ask in the chat. But everyone is busy and it may take a wile
Can be quite exciting yet frustrating at the same time

Tight deadlines with tight constraints

Shifting priorities normal part of operations

......
High call volume of request for lelev 1,2 and 3 of IT support. Manager and training are the best on the knowledge database from multiple applications,
Generally enjoyable working environment. I learned to work alone and in a team while employed there. The hardest part of the job is being short staffed all the time.
Great place to work, however it is hard to get a permanent position. The building at 222 Jarvis has horrible reception. The culture is very accommodating.
Department prepare and send their Departmental Plans (DP) to Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS) for review and approval prior to being tabled in the House of Commons by the President of the Treasury Board.
Pros
Cons
Normal
Not much to say here. This is a conservative government office with minimal room for creativity. Loyalty is not rewarded, but a pleasant place to work.
Pros
collegiality
Cons
unfair hiring practices
Fast-paced, exiting opportunity, growth oriented, public service culture, long-lasting relationships, supportive management teams, dynamic environment
The project experience was challenging and fast paced in which I learned to excel at. I learned a lot about project governance and administration in which I went on to work in other projects such as this one.
The middle management works very hard, but the senior management seemed confused and dysfunctional, and at times abusive towards my manager. My manager tried to shelter her staff, as did most managers, but at the end it was still horrible. Many people had mental health issues due to the stress at work. Eventually my entire team left to work somewhere else. I left because my contract ended and I was on maternity leave.
it was a good place to work although the contract was only for three months so to make a serious evaluation would be premature basing the fact that employment is normally a 30 year term.
Good company to work for. Good location, ok Sr.PM although some of them were not knowledgable enough. MAy be because they are too young and less technical to understand everything
Pros
Fairly easy going
Cons
vague in terms of req
Professional environment, friendly staff. Flexible work hours. Able to show initiative, present new ideas to colleagues, always included contractors in decisions,
It has been a pleasure to work for TBS. It provides a challenging and fulfilling work environment with great management.
Work/life balance is great, but the pace is very slow, and the organization epitomizes bureaucracy. Some good people, but the bad apples are not weeded out, so experiences can differ.
Pros
Job security, rare overtime
Cons
no recognition for good work, slow advancement
I would always arrive about 20 mins early to start my day. Preparing my Director's schedule for the day and preparing information for meetings.
Pros
Excellent co-workers, open communication, training
Cons
there were no cons