TransUnion

TransUnion Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
Ok place to work
This place is ok to work at. Some promotions are based on friendships and not based on your hard work. Some members of the management team are unfair to employees.
Pros
Good work hours
Cons
Promotions are usually based on friendships
A dysfunctional company
if you want to challenge your life, here you go: politics, finger pointing, dysfunction, no decision making, strange structure, all mess you can image.
Pros
the pay and benefit is fair
Cons
Pros don't worth the cons
Use to be a great place to work operating as a Private Company - family owned
I STRONGLY agree with the Nepotism and favouritism review here. The harder you work and deliver the more work and responsibility you get without compensation or promotions. I just saw a job posting on Indeed - Project Manager / Business Analyst. Typical TU trying to recruit for two separate roles paying a single salary - what a joke. It is ALL about favoritism and the U.S. bulling their culture into Canada. I've seen many people go - on their own or due to restructuring (which happens every fall - nick named the Turkey Cut) - in order to reach end of year financial targets which are unrealistic to begin with. When they do promote, there is no career planning or training - their philosophy is sink or swim. I know staff still there but claim they have been miserable for years - just waiting it out for a package or retirement. You really need to determine if the pay is worth your unhappiness after the 'new job' excitement ends and you see the true colours of Senior Leadership Team.
Pros
Pay is compeitive
Cons
too many to list
Nepotism and favouritism
TU is an OKAY place to work however, if you want to move up the ladder or move departments, I wish you good luck! There is so much nepotism in this company. You will only move up the ladder if you have your mother/father/uncle/aunt working there. Management is brutal. There is no work life balance. They don't care if you have a family at home. They expect you to work life a dog and get nothing in return. They let go of people who are hard working but because of the favoritism there is no such thing as being FAIR. HR at the burlington office is a bloody joke. They are all "In" with each other and only look out for themselves. Everyone is a dinosaur there and HR won't listen to any complaints against them because the PAYOUT is too large. So now you are STUCK with people who don't know what they are doing and know that and take advantage of it. Sexism, harassment and discrimination has been brought to HR's attention and it was all swept under the rug. In the end, you end up being let go. People are who are let go are told "it's a business decision or the job has been eliminated - restructuring" yet there is another person who is now working in that job. Which is highly illegal. The culture is extremely toxic. Everyone is out to get each other.

The culture is absolutely toxic. All managers/team leads are nothing but drama and gossipers. They will throw you under the bus at any given time to protect or make themselves look better. They all have a power trip. People are TOO scared to say something because when you do speak up, you're shut down immediately.
 - more...
It seemed like a nice place to work
People were helpful towards each other, there seemed to be a good work/life balance. The group worked towards their goal, and I didn't hear much of stress or disruptive employees.
Pros
good balance
Comfortable place to work, however staying has glaring downsides
In particular, interns who have transitioned to full time should spend little time waiting to update their resume and finding another job as you will almost invariably be more valued elsewhere.

Existing paradigms make it very difficult for thinkers on the leading edge of the industry to make a difference.
Pros
Work with good people, Learn about industry standard technologies/processes, Provide valuable experience in a corporate setting, High experience-value entry level positions
Cons
Promises of advacnement are - by and large - empty, promotions undervalue internal talent, highly inequitable remote work policy, proceed with caution.
Bon endroit de travail
Très bon endroit de travail, le seul point a redire est qu’il manque de sérieux sur les heures de travail et très peu d’opportunité d’évolution
Pros
Bonne formation
Cons
Manque de serie
Official response from TransUnion
6 November 2018
Thank you for sharing your review – TransUnion values your feedback.
Great people. Good memories
Outsourcing is the reason my job has become obsolete. It’s been a learning experience for me throughout the 18 years I’ve been at TU. From the complexity of mixed credit files to mailing out a consumer report. To work at this job took great trust, priority focus, treating every single item I worked on with the utmost privacy and dedication and professionalism. Often worked on projects for others to better understand the process. I trained others with great joy.
Pros
Hours, pay
Cons
Outsourcing
Credit Reporting
You learn all about credit reporting, scoring and what makes an individuals credit rating suitable for lending. Is easy to understand why this information is valuable to lenders.
Great opportunity to grow
TransUnion was a valuable step in my career.

Working there exposed me to virtually every type of lender operating in Canada and provided a chance to work with many of them on projects that have had lasting impacts on their businesses and provided me with valuable learning and insight.

My legacy at TransUnion was the identification, development and implementation of the Consumer market for Credit managment and ID Theft protection services.
good place to work
Working on multiple tasks. Work day often progressive rather rapidly. Work is independent. Manager does not micro-manage which suits my comfort level. Able to pick up new skill sets - DB2 and SAS programming languages. Also worked on a data mining project and a data profiling project.
Pros
Business people are accessible
Cons
Travelling distance too long
Great people to work with, always busy
Work with other teams to fulfill contracts with customers, or repair issues that are on the system.
Troubleshooting skills, communication, and team work ethic were the biggest part of this job.

co-workers were among the friendliest people you'll meet.
Connected to world best technologies
Working as one of Supra's Engineer I learned a lot especially different technology that our different companies were using
Excellent Summer Job
I worked at Transunion for 3 consecutive summers during University and College. It was a good experience to transition from student jobs to a formal office job environment. The management was very open and friendly, and I made quite a few friends that I still keep in touch with.

The wages for students are above minimum wage which is a huge plus and I found all of management to be very accommodating for hours and time off.

I would highly recommend this company for students seeking co-op positions as students.
Productive, reached my obligation,
I needed to receive and achieve my 72 call 4 minute requirement, Uphold my quality assurance customer service, a team player and assist with my co-workers, review credit reports with consumers, forward reports to investigations for changes and updates, provide professional service and go over and above to provide the best service to ensure our consumers satisfaction, Skills
Pros
Team enviroment, challenging
Cons
Sit all day
Great people, an overall great place to work
Tasks are assigned on a weekly, sometimes daily basis, based on needs. Multitasking, dealing with the public, problem solving and attention to detail are very important job skills I use daily. My co-workers and I get along very well, and we are all able to work well independently and together as a team to reach our goals. Hardest part of my job is my commute, as I live in St. Catharines and my job is in Burlington, which is approximately an hour drive each way. Best part of my job is seeing my coworkers who are also my friends, and helping people with their credit issues and concerns.
Pros
Flexible and lots of company events
Cons
The commute
Awesome employees, Annual summer picnics, Monthly summer BBQs
Multitasking - managing a variety of projects concurrently with the ability to re-prioritize on a daily basis.
Ability to work on your own with minimal assistance and manage your workload accordingly in order to meet deadlines.

The difficult part of the job is when to say "no" to colleagues in need of your assistance due to a heavy workload.

The people I engaged daily are professionals who are extremely nice to work with.
Pros
company bbqs in the summer...causal dress wear on fridays during the summer