TransAlta Corporation

TransAlta Corporation: 56 Employee Reviews

Canada56 reviews

goodcompanypeoplemanagementtimegreatjobwork

Good environment

Great place to work, would recommend this company for friends to drop off resumes to seek employment. I worked there for 3 years and would work for them again

TransAlta is a very good work place to work. The people around you are welcoming and help you succeed. The higher ups are running the company well and promote the company culture well.

Insights into TransAlta Corporation

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Very interested to work with experienced people, safe

During my work for Transalta I found that the company cares about Safety and environment , company cares about employees, provide required training, encourage ideas, recognize workers and union

Pros

Free lunches, family events

Cons

Fast paced environment with relatively low pay

The project is challenging and interesting and coworkers are helpful. It is a good place to start learning power industry in the early career. However, The pay is low relative to other energy company in Calgary.

Pros

A good place to learn the power industry

Cons

Low pay

Ever changing work experience

Transalta has gone through a massove change in the last 5 years. Theyve come out of it looking to be positioned for great success. Very collaborative group, and the opportunity for plenty of cross-functional projects and experience to gain.

Pros

Pay, time off, great people

Cons

Unexpected long days, lots of change

TransAlta

Excellent endroit pour travailler et super esprit d’équipe…sans hésitation je recommande cette compagnie pour travailler, j’y ai travaillé 28 ans sans aucun regret!!!

Pros

Super équipe

Cons

Aucun

Supervisor for new construction and existing power line maintenance

Promoted to Management in 1988 when work performance and former supervisor recommendations were considered for this promotion. I was responsible for three nine man construction crews as well as thirty maintenance personnel..

Should not be in business - stay away

Co-workers out for themselves and take credit for others' work - fake "team work" attitude everywhere. Executive Team consists of poor leadership - concerned about their bonuses only as are upper and middle management. Old school processes and ideas need to change - company continues to go nowhere fast. Prime takeover target

Pros

Cafe and their staff

Cons

Toxic work environment, extremely poor leadership

Greedy and tone-deaf leadership; toxic culture

People are treated like disposables. Little consistency in direction; decisions are made quickly, which would be a plus, however, every decision appears random and undoes what was decided earlier. The C-suite is greedy and only focused on bonuses for self - disproportionate salary and bonuses to C-suite.

Cons

Toxic culture created by shameless leaders

Excellent

Great experience. Lots of opportunities to advance. Shift schedule is good. There was opportunity for overtime. Safe place to work. Made lots of friends.

Excellent opportunity

I had an amazing experience, although brief, that allowed me to be a part of a brilliant team and meet people in all areas of the plants, mine, even the CEO in the first few months. It was exciting and I was proud to work there and grateful for the people I met and the work they do.

Okay

Constant change in management it seems like org changes happen every 6-12 months. Slow work pace and unable to compete in most markets due to inefficiencies. Not much happens here.

great workplace, great people

great workplace, great people I already gave me opinion about this company, I don't know what else to say about this company, so why do you keep asking for more?

Review Summary

Your Review: Give us your opinion about; a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, hardest part of the job, most enjoyable part of the job.

people great management a hinderance

people are great to work with. Management has created a poisonous environment due to cutbacks and promoting people with no skills. old equipment with no plans to maintain.

Pros

people

Cons

management

Bureaucratic with No Direction

This used to be a great place to work but the exit of alot of good employess has left a large gap in the organization. I did gain alot of skills from my time there.

Pros

Good wages and benefits

Cons

No consistent direction from Management

Bound to struggle

This centenary company has been struggling now for over 7 years due to poor upper management. There is a serious lack of communication between the management team and the rest of the company, and people's efforts go unnoticed and/or unrecognized. As a result, TransAlta doesn't seem to keep their talented employees happy and they end up leaving sooner or later. The several rounds of layoffs in the past 3 years have created an unbearable atmosphere of mistrust and insecurity among employees. People are constantly trying to take credit for coworkers' achievements, in an effort to stay employed. The Board of Directors needs to clean house and fire the whole upper management team if this company is to survive.

Pros

Some good opportunities to train yourself

Cons

Poor Management

Competitive & challenging

Every day you meet with a new technical challenge. Collaboration with various teams, Compliance with latest standards, Followup MOC procedures, Eyes on net production, preparation for upcoming unit shutdowns etc etc...makes your daily life. At home you are still engaged mentally assuming what may happen during night presenting a new challenge for a new day.

Pros

Challenging

Cons

Least time for hobbies & recreation

It was okay

Working at TransAlta was different and interesting. Most of the time it was quite unprofessional. But, there was an opportunity to further improve skillsets.

You don't want to work here

No work life balance, salary and benefits are no longer competitive with the utility sector, revolving rounds of layoffs, high employee turnover rate, and poor culture / office morale. Only pluses are the front line staff (some really nice people work here), and the cafe has a really good breakfast.

Cons

Great place to work and be challenged

Same as summary. Review is dated and probably not relevant. I have no detailed review to submit, company has much changed since I worked there. Any comments I have now would be of little or no value.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TransAlta Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement