TransAlta Corporation

TransAlta Corporation Employee Reviews

Canada50 reviews
Great experience. Lots of opportunities to advance.
Shift schedule is good.

There was opportunity for overtime.

Safe place to work.

Made lots of friends.
Promoted to Management in 1988 when work performance and former supervisor recommendations were considered for this promotion. I was responsible for three nine man construction crews as well as thirty maintenance personnel..
Co-workers out for themselves and take credit for others' work - fake "team work" attitude everywhere. Executive Team consists of poor leadership - concerned about their bonuses only as are upper and middle management. Old school processes and ideas need to change - company continues to go nowhere fast. Prime takeover target
Pros
Cafe and their staff
Cons
Toxic work environment, extremely poor leadership
People are treated like disposables. Little consistency in direction; decisions are made quickly, which would be a plus, however, every decision appears random and undoes what was decided earlier. The C-suite is greedy and only focused on bonuses for self - disproportionate salary and bonuses to C-suite.
Cons
Toxic culture created by shameless leaders
I had an amazing experience, although brief, that allowed me to be a part of a brilliant team and meet people in all areas of the plants, mine, even the CEO in the first few months. It was exciting and I was proud to work there and grateful for the people I met and the work they do.
Constant change in management it seems like org changes happen every 6-12 months. Slow work pace and unable to compete in most markets due to inefficiencies. Not much happens here.
great workplace,
great people

I already gave me opinion about this company, I don't know what else to say about this company, so why do you keep asking for more?
Your Review: Give us your opinion about; a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, hardest part of the job, most enjoyable part of the job.
people are great to work with. Management has created a poisonous environment due to cutbacks and promoting people with no skills.
old equipment with no plans to maintain.
Pros
people
Cons
management
This used to be a great place to work but the exit of alot of good employess has left a large gap in the organization. I did gain alot of skills from my time there.
Pros
Good wages and benefits
Cons
No consistent direction from Management
This centenary company has been struggling now for over 7 years due to poor upper management. There is a serious lack of communication between the management team and the rest of the company, and people's efforts go unnoticed and/or unrecognized. As a result, TransAlta doesn't seem to keep their talented employees happy and they end up leaving sooner or later.

The several rounds of layoffs in the past 3 years have created an unbearable atmosphere of mistrust and insecurity among employees. People are constantly trying to take credit for coworkers' achievements, in an effort to stay employed.

The Board of Directors needs to clean house and fire the whole upper management team if this company is to survive.
Pros
Some good opportunities to train yourself
Cons
Poor Management
Every day you meet with a new technical challenge.
Collaboration with various teams, Compliance with latest standards, Followup MOC procedures, Eyes on net production, preparation for upcoming unit shutdowns etc etc...makes your daily life.

At home you are still engaged mentally assuming what may happen during night presenting a new challenge for a new day.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Least time for hobbies & recreation
Working at TransAlta was different and interesting. Most of the time it was quite unprofessional. But, there was an opportunity to further improve skillsets.
No work life balance, salary and benefits are no longer competitive with the utility sector, revolving rounds of layoffs, high employee turnover rate, and poor culture / office morale. Only pluses are the front line staff (some really nice people work here), and the cafe has a really good breakfast.
Cons
Same as summary. Review is dated and probably not relevant.

I have no detailed review to submit, company has much changed since I worked there. Any comments I have now would be of little or no value.
Worst job experience in entire career of 20 years. They micro managed the work to see how emplyees will be unsucceessful to lay them off.
Worst company culture ever seen. Nobody shares any opinions with Management. Does not beleive in training employees. Rude and biased sr.employees. Difficult to breath in such a toxic environment.
Pros
Not a single
Cons
worst company culture
Leading technology company with great IT department, innovative and continuous improvement applied throughout organization. Project expectation are deliverable and results focused.
Executives do not set a good example. They promoted their own compensation increases while simultaneously slashing employee compensation and laying off employees.
I was a temp worker so my salary was low due to this. A great company to work for. Very safe work culture and a positive work environment.
I miss working there.
Pros
Free Ferry ride everyday
Cons
Free ferry ride everyday
4 re-organizations in 6 years and yet the CEO retains her role when her leadership and poor decision making eroded the value of the company. A prime takeover target.
Cons
Everything you can list
This company was interesting to work for. They believed in promoting community involvement and supporting and promoting the indigenous communities. The people are awesome.
Pros
Community involvement
Cons
poor communication
Ask a question about working or interviewing at TransAlta Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6