TransAlta Corporation Employee Reviews

Temp
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Wolfe Island, ON29 May 2018
I was a temp worker so my salary was low due to this. A great company to work for. Very safe work culture and a positive work environment.
I miss working there.
Pros
Free Ferry ride everyday
Cons
Free ferry ride everyday
Senior management only concerned with lining their pockets
Senior Business Analyst - Gas Fleet (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2018
4 re-organizations in 6 years and yet the CEO retains her role when her leadership and poor decision making eroded the value of the company. A prime takeover target.
Cons
Everything you can list
TA review
Assist Plant Manager/ Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 April 2018
Management was very supportive TA had a good review process and there was time to focus on projects and fostered good relationship with staff and unions
average day
Pressure Welder/maintenance man (Former Employee) –  Keephills, AB10 April 2018
we started at 7 every day, go through a tailboard with all maintenance men and foremans then break off into our groups and get our job for the day. We got two coffee breaks and a half hour for lunch, if your job was big enough to take all day you just went back to work if not you would make sure everything was cleaned up from last job and go start the new job. i did a lot of welding build up, cut out and replace and then i would do a lot of mechanical work too valves had to be taking apart cleaned or changed pumps stripped and fixed so every day was different really
Pros
good pay, steady work, always something new and the guys worked with
Cons
wasn't run the best, breathing in cole fines all day, always working in extreme temps.
Productive and friendly workplace
Document Managment (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2018
Everyone always walks in with a smile and says good morning, very welcoming environment. Then I decide which documents go under which title, scanning the files and placing them into the correct server, as well as manually filing in the back.
Pros
Free lunches, good people
Cons
Not my passion, Unstable hours
was a good time
turbine operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 January 2018
Transalta was a good place to work for the whole time i was there. the management was awesome and the employees were awesome and the environment was absolutely kept up to the highest standards, and there was no complaints ever from anyone ever.
Pros
good time
Cons
absolutely none
Provides adiquate employmnent
Condtion Monitoring Electrical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duffield, AB19 January 2018
Failing industry at the moment as the provincial Government is working on shutting down the coal industry. ................................................
A fair experience
Procedures Analyst/Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duffield, AB27 December 2017
Enjoyed the job for the most part, but felt growth opportunities to be lacking. Was a very early job for me, was likely a bad fit. Still, some great people there.
excellent work environment
Janitorial Services -Foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2017
good people to work with
disciplined atmosphere
very safety disciplined
hardest part of job is carrying heavy recycle products
most enjoyable is working with my team
Pros
excellent benifits
Cons
risky drive in winter
Co-workers were great
Seasonal Labourer (Former Employee) –  Duffield, AB16 November 2017
The staff of trans alta are friendly safety oriented and considerate. My old general forman treated me poorly when I injured myself however. Good job to start your life on though.
Great Job
Operator/Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Macleod, AB10 November 2017
great company to work with. Everyone there is personable and engaging. Its hard work at times but provides overtime hours. The best thing about this job is being able to do what I am trained and enjoy doing
Used to be great
Main railroad operations (Current Employee) –  Wabamun, AB27 October 2017
The job culture has chanced the five years, Used to feel like a family and now it's just the bottom line and cost cutting. There is doom and gloom across the board with the company starting to switch over to gas quicker then the government is requesting. Some re-training is happening but a bit to late for most of us
Pros
Great benefits, blue cross..etc
Cons
Long hours and pushing rules that are not needed, big gap between power plant and head office
Honestly the worst company that I have ever worked for - They monitor their employees with cameras & spyware
Corporate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2017
Seriously mediocre pay but by far the worst culture & environment I have ever seen invmy 20 year corporate career. No one in our entire group wamted to come to work in the morning although much of this was due to a horrible, horrible troll of a boss.

They go through a boat load of statf for a reason, unless you really need the work do not take a position here.
Pros
Mediocre pay
Cons
Low morral, zero job security horrible boss..
Up to date with health and safety
Shift Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 October 2017
Good company to work for but people up top made bad business decisions which has hurt the company. As a result the company is having to down size. ..
Ok
Instrumentation Technician (Current Employee) –  Sundance Powerplant25 October 2017
Job was ok but seems to be highly top end heavy with management. Lots of older equipment to learn off at this site. Some newer stuff but really need update some of there aging control systems.
A company in the middle of a major transformation
office worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 September 2017
The company is in the middle o a major cultural, structural and financial transformation. There has been a major shift towards cost savings projects, deadlines and "bankable plans". Chance of long terms success are diminishing.

The goals are incredibly challenging requiring quick realization of benefit. Great people, under a lot of pressure. Burnout is inevitable
Pros
The work is interesting
Cons
Long hours, no security, low pay
Fund workplace with supportive management
Pool Settlements Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 August 2017
Best company so far in my career to work for. Work-life balance can be easily achieved. Great benefits package. Management is very approachable. There are many different career opportunities within the company. Culture is very laid back and everyone is overall great to work with. You can have a lot of fun at work. Open concept took a bit of getting used to but like it overall (no offices, including VPs).
Pros
Lots of different career opportunities
Cons
High long-term uncertainty in company performance due to the current state of the energy industry.
good place to learn
Ash Plant/ Floor Operator (Current Employee) –  Keephills, AB26 July 2017
no job stability, stupid management decisions, upsetting workers life. no maintenance. plants are burying to grounds.
union environment, good collegues
Fun workplace
Commercial Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta21 July 2017
Steady business, highly regulated. Good work environment. Great place to learn. Good pay and benefits. Lots of challenges and opportunities. As expected in this industry a lot of long-term employees.
Many lazy and unskilled coworkers
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Duffield, AB14 March 2017
Typical union work environment. Lots of backstabbing and brown nosers. Very poor wages and incompetent management. TransAlta's days are numbered. Inefficiently run and bloated with supervisory and management positions. THey will be unable to compete in tighter margin market that is forming. Expect many lay-offs and restructuring as management scraps to save their jobs and cut the common workers out over the next few years as they transition from coal to smaller gas fired plants. Expect them to sell the Highvale mine to an Indian coal company, who will surely drop wages even further.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TransAlta Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.