Toys R Us Canada Employee Reviews

Featured review
Toys R Us Canada selected this as a representative review
Summary of working at Toys R us as a Supervisor.
Key Carrier (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 June 2014
I have worked at Toys R Us for just over 3 years now and I love it so much, it's a great company to work for. Within 2 months of being hired as a cashier I was promoted to Key Carrier. This position meant that I had my own store key and was responsible for opening and sometimes closing the store. Every morning I would have to count all the tills, input all amounts, calculate the till float, prepare deposit and fill out a ton of paper work. It seems complicated but it was actually really fun and easy after a few mornings. the remainder of my shifts I was responsible for all other employees (excluding manager when he was on duty), receiving shipments and merchandising products to fit the company`s standards and rules.
If there were any issues in the store, with employees or with customers I was the one who would be called to handle them.

Toys R Us is a fantastic company to work for, they are flexible, non biased, easy going with schedules and schedule changes and all around a fun place to be!
Pros
Work parties, benfits, fun enviornment
Cons
Not enough hours available
Very upbeat management and fun work environment.
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QC2 November 2018
A typical day's work for me was working in the back and unloading trucks and bringing products to the front for clients. I learned a lot there but most of the knowledge I already had from my current job at the Alouettes which is also a lot of warehouse work. Management was very good and gave me and everyone else a good amount of hours. The work place culture was upbeat and fun and I enjoyed working with a lot of people there. The job was particularly hard because like I said I've done warehouse work before. I enjoyed working with the people I worked with and the friendships I made, I always get along with those I work with and build strong relationships.
Pros
Great people and good hours
Cons
Low Salary
Excellent company, management per location can be Terrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 October 2018
When overseen by a competent, responsible management team, working at Toys R Us can be a rewarding experience; the company provides a decent wage with opportunity to earn raises, benefits, and flexible hours.
However, there is a distinct disconnect between daily functions at a store level and those from 'head office', who often make demands of stores which do not make sense based on their layout or stock. Furthermore, management is often poorly managed, leaving employees feeling out of options when issues arise with their supervisors. They do have an HR anonymous hotline to contact, but there have been several occasions where the anonymity of it has been compromised at the store level. There is not much in the way of security to ensure consistent and responsible management of employee grievances with one another or members of the management team, and it is an environment that is extremely susceptible to workplace politics and favouritism.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible hours
Cons
Poor management, disconnect between store & upper management
Great place for beginners
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 September 2018
They will help you from the start, your coworkers are always so supportive and the management too, it was the first place I ever worked and I left only because I was leaving the area, but otherwise, I would have stayed, an amazing environment that caters to all needs.
Pros
Benefits after 6 months, incredible managers and coworkers, team enviroment
Cons
Long hours and closing shift clean ups
hated every minute working here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 January 2019
Bad management, bad communication, culture was complete garbage, and staff weren't very cohesive or friendly
hated every minute working here and the benefits were a joke
Positive work culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2019
I have overall enjoyed my work experience with Toys R Us Canada. You get dental and medical benefits after your first nine months which is not common for a part-time retail position.
Very fun busy workplace!
Merchandiser/Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 May 2018
I only did seasonal at Toys'R'Us but I loved every moment I was there! From training to the people I worked with, all of it was a great experience!
One of the biggest benefits for me after leaving is having a better understanding of use of space in a store as well as pricing items.
Management was very good although it was difficult having so many managers and assistant managers to deal with. They had fairly flexible scheduling despite being a seasonal position and if there were conflicts they were sure to resolve them equally. The most difficult part of the job for me was doing night shifts. Although I had no problems with the changes to my sleep schedule I did find it had a negative impact on my social life and relationship.
As someone who will always be a kid at heart, I absolutely loved getting to work in a store like that and being able to help people when I was able always left me feeling satisfied.
Overall this has been one of my favourite jobs to date and would strongly recommend it to anyone!
Pros
Able to pick up extra shifts, strong team environment, discount
Cons
Long hours, too many management team members
it was okay
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 September 2018
I got some work experience even though at the time juggling work and school tended to be a little difficult but I enjoyed working and the salary was okay based on the number of hours I worked in a week. the easiest part of helping the customers and the hardest part was doing both school and work.
Pros
it was right beside my school
Cons
school and work
“Permanent” definition: seasonal
Baby sales associate (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia24 January 2019
For anyone applying to this company they don’t hire permanent. I found that out way too late, despite what the job posting says it’s seasonal. The customers and coworkers are very nice and it’s a lot of fun however they laid me off two days before Christmas without any warning. It’s a great job and I was really upset and now not even a month later they are hiring again for my position. I worked my butt off for them but despite what they say from what I hear from vendors, toys r us is still struggling to stay open in Canada. If I could vote job security at 0 stars I would. I feel bad for the wonderful people that do work there.
Pros
Good people, good customers, great hr and decent management
Cons
0 job stability, no warning lay offs, could be going out of business still
Stressful and exhausting
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON18 August 2018
No work life balance

Lack of resources given to do job properly

Too much to do for one person

Late night shifts next day early morning shifts

Slow growth
Benefits
great work atmosphere nice management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 October 2018
I worked at Toys R Us for over 3 years. Great place to start my working career. I learned many skills and made some great friends along the way while also meeting interesting people everyday at work. I love helping people and seeing the smile on their face when they're happy with what they got, and being the reason why someone smiles is a great feeling. One of my favorite things about Toys R Us was my managers. Great people who are very accommodating and want to see you succeed. No matter where you go (and I've been a lot of places now) management sucks but I always look back at my time at Toys R Us and really can't complain too much when it comes to that. They always let me take the time I needed and when I wanted to expand my knowledge of the company they let me start working in other sections of the store broadening my knowledge. I learned many things at my time here and happy I got a chance to work here.
Pros
fun, easy, flexible schedule
Cons
bad benifets, limited advancement from position
Bilingual Clerk/ Cashier/ Floor clerk (Former Employee) –  LaSalle, ON15 July 2018
Job Security and Advancement: None
Job Culture: Great
Salary/Benefits: Not so great
Management: Not supportive

It`s a great place to work part time, but not full time
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON27 August 2018
Nice people to work with but holiday seasons are horrible, hours are short and there are no benefits. Morale was low likely due to lack of hours and consitency in scheduling.
Pros
discount on toys.
Cons
no hours.
Great place...truly help you embrace your customer service skill
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 June 2018
Great management crew
Treated every religion and culture with respect
Salary could be better especially christmas time
Got a lot more understanding about the company the toys
Pros
Discount was great
Cons
So much mess and sych little pay
Average job, defiantly a seasonal business .
500 (Back of store) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 October 2018
Typical work day would start by unloading shipping trucks that came in the morning, then the remainder of the shift would consist of answering calls in the back of the store from customers asking about product and also answering calls from the front to bring up big ticket merchandise for customers and help load them.

Management was great at the store I worked at, there was some favoritism here and there but you get that at any job. Coworkers were amazing. Most enjoyable part of the job for me was the customers for the most part, especially when you bring out new toys and you see kids faces just light up.

Really the biggest issue for me was the fluctuation of hours you would work. During the Christmas holiday rush (November-December) you easily work 40 hours per week, but other than that you get 1 to 2 shifts per week in the off season.
Pros
Management, coworkers, work culture
Cons
fluctuating work hours, highly stressful during the holiday rush
Good work culture, hectic long hours.
Cashier/Sales Associate, (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 October 2018
Good work culture most of the year unless it’s the Christmas season. Slightly high turnover rate. Long hours, breaks and lunches almost always run late. Some managers and assistant managers are friends with some workers and you notice favouritism and abuses of power. Hardest part of the job is customers when on cash. Customer service isn’t as bad but some customers do get upset and rude.
Pros
15% employee discount
Cons
Long hours, favouritism, frequent understaffing and overstaffing.
Good, but not great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 April 2018
I was happy going to work, it never got too busy either. The management was always great, I was pleased when they would stand by their employees instead of 'selling you out' in front of customers. I also enjoyed the competitive job advancement opportunities.
Pros
Competitive Salary
Cons
Not a lot of shifts
Good work life balance
Senior Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON22 January 2019
Good work life balance, Gym on site at a very reasonable price. Some flexibility in work hours. Free coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Free parking. Reasonable cafeteria food options on site.
Great and friendly work place
Cashier, Floor associate (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON3 January 2019
While I was working at Toys "R" Us Canada it was a very fun and pleasant place to work. The managers and co-workers were always very helpful and understanding when I needed a day off due to me still being a student in high school. During my time working here I learnt a lot about customer service and how to help customers when needed, I also gained cash experience.
Pros
friendly co-workers, understanding managers
Cons
long hours on weekdays
Caring workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON24 October 2018
I enjoyed working at Toys R Us. I took the position of a seasonal worker and within those couple months I learned more about myself and the company. Management was great; they really worked with my family , they were easy to talk to, and they try very hard to run a smooth running store.
The hardest thing for me about the job was selling warranties. Keeping those numbers up was a tad difficult. I am a quiet person and trying to sell a product definately was a struggle.

The most enjoyably part was getting to know the customers, a lot of people cme in needing help buying gifts. Help became personal and it was great seeing a smile on the customers face as they left the store. .
Lovely customers, bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 September 2018
Its great when you see the smiles on the kids faces when they are looking through the many different toys that they could possibly be taking home. You may get a few customers that are not very happy to be in your presence but it is not bad. The management staff would not lift a finger for anyone working under them. They would sit in their office complaining about everything done at any given moment. They will put blame on employees that were not working that day and had very bad tempers. A lot of the staff were told that they would be working in a specific section before they were forced to work in almost all of them. Not the greatest place to work at with management, but the rest of the staff and the costumers are fantastic.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toys R Us Canada. Our community is ready to answer.