Toys R Us Canada

Toys R Us Canada Employee Reviews

Featured review
Toys R Us Canada selected this as a representative review
I have worked at Toys R Us for just over 3 years now and I love it so much, it's a great company to work for. Within 2 months of being hired as a cashier I was promoted to Key Carrier. This position meant that I had my own store key and was responsible for opening and sometimes closing the store. Every morning I would have to count all the tills, input all amounts, calculate the till float, prepare deposit and fill out a ton of paper work. It seems complicated but it was actually really fun and easy after a few mornings. the remainder of my shifts I was responsible for all other employees (excluding manager when he was on duty), receiving shipments and merchandising products to fit the company`s standards and rules. If there were any issues in the store, with employees or with customers I was the one who would be called to handle them. Toys R Us is a fantastic company to work for, they are flexible, non biased, easy going with schedules and schedule changes and all around a fun place to be!
Pros
Work parties, benfits, fun enviornment
Cons
Not enough hours available
I got hired on the spot at the job fair. This is my first time working retail (my work background is fast food) and this is also the first time I can say I feel respected in the workplace. Management goes out of their way many times a shift to let you know you are valued. Guests are respectful and treat you like a human. Co workers are kind and fun to be around. Until now, I never knew that there were workplaces in existence that could make you feel so good about being there, because you matter to them. It doesn’t matter if it’s slow enough to be boring, or so busy you don’t get a moment to collect your thoughts, you’re happy to be there because every interaction is a positive one and only makes you want to work harder to make a lasting impression. Thank you for giving me this opportunity, truly.
Pros
Treats in the break room, recognition, respect, communication, all of it
Cons
We only got one shirt.
I’ve worked at Toysrus for over 6 years. Unless you start as a cashier, you are provided with no training and you’re expected to learn everything on your own. If you schedule a day off, they “punish” you by scheduling you significantly less hours than usual for that period. The schedule is also never posted within the Alberta work labour standards, it’ll come out a day before your next scheduled shift. Managers will be passive aggressive towards you for weeks when you’re not able to pick up a shift for them. Management is super unprofessional and they don’t hesitate to call you out in front of the rest of the team. I do not think there’s a lot of room for growth within the company. I’ve been promised training in various position throughout the 6 years I’ve worked here and it’s never followed through. However, I’ll see brand new employees who have just started at Toysrus being “trained” in these positions. Seniority means nothing to them. Also not to mention that I’ve been sexually harassed at work several times and management does NOTHING. There was an incident a few weeks ago where I was sexually harassed by a customer and when I notified my manager she laughed and walked away. I tried to phone our “24hr/7 days a week” HR line and nobody answered or got back to me. This is Toysrus Southpark in Edmonton. I would strongly recommend considering your other options.
Benefits
Cons
Workplace environment
For me it would excellent to toys because I love kids & toys they play with it Learn toy are very important for kids to learn because kids learn fast if they learn by themself Thx yasmin please
hours are not the greatest, they keep hiring people when the current people don’t get enough hours. great working environment, fun time and the bond is amazing. they make you family other then making you a co-worker. would definitely recommend if you’re new to a area and wanted to make new friends and feel comfortable in a workplace.
Pros
amazing people to work with
Cons
not enough hours
For someone looking to start looking Toys R Us is a good place to go. They are able to accommodate hours that work for you. The workplace is very clean and safe and easy to fit in with co-workers
I work in the baby department, it can go from slow paced to fast paced very quickly. The staff and management is great. Also, you get to play with the coolest toys.
I once got yelled at in front of customers for organizing the barbies wrong. I was new. Great schedule flexibility and co workers. Overall too stressful and I never want to go back there.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Stressful, I cried a lot, so much to remember
Gained lots of experience, made good friends with some co workers. Great experience, I'm very glad that this was my first job as it helped me see what its like to work, especially during the holidays when things get hectic. Teaches how to manage your time, and work well under pressure.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
short breaks
Regarding the application, I have not been given any feedback, not even complying with the courtesy of doing business. Do not waste your precious time with this company.
I started as a cashier and moved to customer service. I loved the environment, everyone is so helpful. Management was amazing and had no problems helping you when needed. I do really miss working here.
Pros
When I first started working at Toys R Us I broke my foot and was forced to climb up ladders to do overstock. I nearly fell off multiple times and there was never anyone holding the ladder. Our management was terrible and rude. Many associates have experienced harassment from management and from other associates. Management does not do anything about harassment complaints and leaves their associates to be uncomfortable in their own work place.
Pros
Cons
Horrible management, do not care about employees, unsafe working
Obvious company is struggling. No investment in upgrading registers. Still have key flip ones from the nineties. Tech is very slow and piece mealed together. Its embarrassing to be a staff member here. Company is not forward thinking. Toys are still extremely gendered where company could be taking lead on this and organize by age. Not a lot of new products. Price points are too high on product received so 50% takes up shelf space till it goes on clearance.
Pros
Toys, Depends who managers are if it's good or not, Company is not team orientated
Cons
Horrid technology, Little head office support, Labour hours for staff reduced to nothing, No employee recognition program in place, strictest employee discount policy Can't go to another location, No formal reviews with follow up, Too much pressure on cashier's to sell ask 4 things If we don't we are reprimanded, No Regular schedule for managers or staff
Management and the rest of the team at Toys"R"Us are amazing people. The entire staff are very welcoming and very easy to talk to, managment are very respectful to their employees and are very friendly to us.
Worked here during the 2018 Holiday season. It was a good experience but I personally wouldn't go back to work here. However, the people that I worked with and the knowledge I gained was definitely something I'll never forget!
When I first started it was great, the training covered everything and was over a period of several weeks. I found from there that while I had earned my way to a full time of a certain section, I wasn't able to continue to progress in the company. When I moved locations, management went from good to horrific. My manager told me that my availability was only a guideline that she didn't need to follow, and wouldn't. I was cornered into a register by the same manager and tortured in many ways. She was everything I never dreamed to deal with and more. While I had some other great managers and fantastic co-workers, she was reason enough to hate coming to work. Issue with a customer? She's the only manager on hand? Goodluck, you're on your own. I would never tell anyone I know to work in any of the Calgary locations. I would additionally like to note that Calgary only took 3 days to train, and while maybe a couple weeks was a little long, I found the training period offered was too short with too little effort to care in the employee and more interest in selling protection plans.
During a normal day, it's pretty calm and casual during the holidays the hours are long, but it can be manage. The managers are understanding and the staff in general is really welcoming.
Everyday i would stand at my cash register and help customers with their purchases. we were also required to promote their insurance policy and at the end of a work day we would have to clean the shelves .
I worked seasonal part-time at Toys R Us The work itself was not difficult at all. On busy days you don't even realize the time passed. Management is approachable and very friendly. I would reccomend working there.
Toys R Us is such a fun place to work for. The management team is very supportive and allows for opportunity to grow. The workplace culture is fun and very team like. I have learned a lot of important skills in this position that I can use in my work life and personal life.
Working at toys r us is a great experience. It’s fun and mostly relaxed on a typical day. I went from working at Walmart to here and love it so much more. The staff are all very close and you’re not just a number like at other retail stores. You get proper training and advice and don’t get looked at funny when you have questions. Hours are good other then non busy times. 10/10 would recommend working here as long as you’re willing to learn and put effort into your job. The management actually acknowledges your accomplishments as well as they are very understanding.
  1. Employee reviews