Toys R Us Canada Employee Reviews

Featured review
Toys R Us Canada selected this as a representative review
Summary of working at Toys R us as a Supervisor.
Key Carrier (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 June 2014
I have worked at Toys R Us for just over 3 years now and I love it so much, it's a great company to work for. Within 2 months of being hired as a cashier I was promoted to Key Carrier. This position meant that I had my own store key and was responsible for opening and sometimes closing the store. Every morning I would have to count all the tills, input all amounts, calculate the till float, prepare deposit and fill out a ton of paper work. It seems complicated but it was actually really fun and easy after a few mornings. the remainder of my shifts I was responsible for all other employees (excluding manager when he was on duty), receiving shipments and merchandising products to fit the company`s standards and rules.
If there were any issues in the store, with employees or with customers I was the one who would be called to handle them.

Toys R Us is a fantastic company to work for, they are flexible, non biased, easy going with schedules and schedule changes and all around a fun place to be!
Pros
Work parties, benfits, fun enviornment
Cons
Not enough hours available
Everything was fine except the manager for overnights
Overnight Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Merivale, ON12 December 2018
I took this on as a 2nd job to work around my full-time day job. I enjoyed the work & my co-workers, but the overnight manager was always tearing me down & overall not nice. Never had a nice thing to say, ever. After a month of working there, I decided it was time to pull the chord. Enough was enough.
Pros
extra paycheque, nice co-workers, overnight pay bonus
Cons
overnight manager, being teared down
bad place.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 December 2018
not many hours and basically only reason i stayed is because they need me. Never pay reviews either! if there is they will just tell you how to improve
fun and great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2018
The people were great and the customers were even better!

I learned that you will always learn something new everyday!

the hardest part of the job was saying goodbye to everyone!
Pros
working with great people and great customers
Cons
not being able to give every employees enough hours to work due to the budget
Fun for young emuat first experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC13 November 2018
good as a first job, student type .. not recommended for those who want to move forward, or to participate in the growth of the company with ideas of all kinds. bad training for customer assistance
Bad training in general
Pros
Cons
Long hours and bad shift
Easy to work with great co-workers
Customer Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 November 2018
amazing group of co-workers who helped exceed certain tasks in the workplace
hours were flexible which helped when balancing work and school
learned customer appreciation
Fun Workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2018
Volunteering at Toys R Us was a fun experience and has helped me get over my shyness with customers and has helped me improve on my customer services. Management was also amazing, they were always willing to help me when I had no idea where anything was.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Was not super busy
emploi
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Bruno, FR5 November 2018
c'était un bon premier travaille pour un étudient. j'ai beaucoup aimer travailler la bas. l’ambiance était le fun, les employer était gentil. c'était vraiment un bon premier emploi même si c'était saisonnier
Low-key, quiet place of work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2018
I was a night shift merchandiser, I'd sign in, check in with my manager, put on my headphones and get to work, it was calm, quiet and awesome. We had a couple of nice nights where someones birthday would roll up and have a nice little get together.

This is not to say that it wasn't very hard work, climbing ladders with heavy merchandise and stocking in the overstock, very, VERY physical work, but of course you were always just bopping to your music while you do it. My manager was amazing, and she was extremely accommodating and patient with me, she was the best manager I ever had.
Pros
Quiet, peaceful
Cons
Physically demanding
great
Sales Associate/Stock (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 November 2018
amazing, cool, great experience. I learned a lot about being a customers server and retail experience. Definetly molded me into the person that I am today
Very upbeat management and fun work environment.
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QC2 November 2018
A typical day's work for me was working in the back and unloading trucks and bringing products to the front for clients. I learned a lot there but most of the knowledge I already had from my current job at the Alouettes which is also a lot of warehouse work. Management was very good and gave me and everyone else a good amount of hours. The work place culture was upbeat and fun and I enjoyed working with a lot of people there. The job was particularly hard because like I said I've done warehouse work before. I enjoyed working with the people I worked with and the friendships I made, I always get along with those I work with and build strong relationships.
Pros
Great people and good hours
Cons
Low Salary
Friendly co-workers, very safety oriented
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 October 2018
I was satisfied working at Toys R Us. They did their best to place me in a role suited to my skillset. Worksite was clean and located close to a bus route.
Average job, defiantly a seasonal business .
500 (Back of store) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 October 2018
Typical work day would start by unloading shipping trucks that came in the morning, then the remainder of the shift would consist of answering calls in the back of the store from customers asking about product and also answering calls from the front to bring up big ticket merchandise for customers and help load them.

Management was great at the store I worked at, there was some favoritism here and there but you get that at any job. Coworkers were amazing. Most enjoyable part of the job for me was the customers for the most part, especially when you bring out new toys and you see kids faces just light up.

Really the biggest issue for me was the fluctuation of hours you would work. During the Christmas holiday rush (November-December) you easily work 40 hours per week, but other than that you get 1 to 2 shifts per week in the off season.
Pros
Management, coworkers, work culture
Cons
fluctuating work hours, highly stressful during the holiday rush
Excellent company, management per location can be Terrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 October 2018
When overseen by a competent, responsible management team, working at Toys R Us can be a rewarding experience; the company provides a decent wage with opportunity to earn raises, benefits, and flexible hours.
However, there is a distinct disconnect between daily functions at a store level and those from 'head office', who often make demands of stores which do not make sense based on their layout or stock. Furthermore, management is often poorly managed, leaving employees feeling out of options when issues arise with their supervisors. They do have an HR anonymous hotline to contact, but there have been several occasions where the anonymity of it has been compromised at the store level. There is not much in the way of security to ensure consistent and responsible management of employee grievances with one another or members of the management team, and it is an environment that is extremely susceptible to workplace politics and favouritism.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible hours
Cons
Poor management, disconnect between store & upper management
Productive and entertaining place
Customer Service Clerk and Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QC24 October 2018
- Listen to customers’ needs and help find the merchandise that best represents what they are looking for;

- Adapt to different types of people and work in order to maintain organization within the departments;

- Worked with updating and maintain the store floor plan under a certain amount of time to meet deadlines.
Caring workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON24 October 2018
I enjoyed working at Toys R Us. I took the position of a seasonal worker and within those couple months I learned more about myself and the company. Management was great; they really worked with my family , they were easy to talk to, and they try very hard to run a smooth running store.
The hardest thing for me about the job was selling warranties. Keeping those numbers up was a tad difficult. I am a quiet person and trying to sell a product definately was a struggle.

The most enjoyably part was getting to know the customers, a lot of people cme in needing help buying gifts. Help became personal and it was great seeing a smile on the customers face as they left the store. .
Fun place to work and had a friendly work positive environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2018
It was a good first job and a normal day was pretty busy and kind of hectic, I got to improve my people skills by dealing with customers all day and learned how to work in a warehouse type environment.
Hardest part of the job was learning where all the inventory was in the warehouse. Best part was working with friends and the positive environment.
Fun workplace with some flawed management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2018
I worked there for almost a year and the management didn't care about what I had going on outside of work. I wasn't able to get time off easily and it was rarely accepted. The people I worked with was what made it fun. I ended up resigning because management did not care about me and did not let me have a say in anything that involved my hours, my shifts or my job.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
great work atmosphere nice management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 October 2018
I worked at Toys R Us for over 3 years. Great place to start my working career. I learned many skills and made some great friends along the way while also meeting interesting people everyday at work. I love helping people and seeing the smile on their face when they're happy with what they got, and being the reason why someone smiles is a great feeling. One of my favorite things about Toys R Us was my managers. Great people who are very accommodating and want to see you succeed. No matter where you go (and I've been a lot of places now) management sucks but I always look back at my time at Toys R Us and really can't complain too much when it comes to that. They always let me take the time I needed and when I wanted to expand my knowledge of the company they let me start working in other sections of the store broadening my knowledge. I learned many things at my time here and happy I got a chance to work here.
Pros
fun, easy, flexible schedule
Cons
bad benifets, limited advancement from position
Good work culture, hectic long hours.
Cashier/Sales Associate, (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 October 2018
Good work culture most of the year unless it’s the Christmas season. Slightly high turnover rate. Long hours, breaks and lunches almost always run late. Some managers and assistant managers are friends with some workers and you notice favouritism and abuses of power. Hardest part of the job is customers when on cash. Customer service isn’t as bad but some customers do get upset and rude.
Pros
15% employee discount
Cons
Long hours, favouritism, frequent understaffing and overstaffing.
agreable
Commis d'entrepôt (stage) (Former Employee) –  Repentigny, QC22 October 2018
tres belle ambiance belle equipe je lai adore ils mon tout appris
Pros
belle equipe
Cons
aucun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toys R Us Canada. Our community is ready to answer.