Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Positive
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2018
The company has strong standards, overall procedures and training are good. Well managed, but managers can be difficult to contact during bust periods. Overall nice staff, good employee recognition, and staff events.
Pros
Snacks, friendly staff, promotes within, good management, employee recognition, training
Cons
Difficult to contact managers at times, poor point of sale, upset customers
Great experience
Cashier or on floor (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC12 February 2018
I learned what it takes to have a job and how to organize your life around the job. The management was very well organized and super nice.
Whenever I needed help or I made a mistake they would teach me not to make the same mistake again.
Pros
Free lunches, employee discount
Cons
Short hours
Comfortable
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2018
Toys R Us was definitely one of the few job that had a very comfortable work environment. Could very be the perfect mixture of proper staff and striaght forword clear assissments for each work staff.
Pros
Great personel
Cons
Two breaks
Pretty good
Associate (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 February 2018
Good atmosphere. Less so in the back where it's poorly lit and lonely when it's in the slow seasons. Feels like I'm a ghost and the real word is out on the floor and I'm just haunting the place, but that's just me. I'm sure others would be fine.
Pros
Game consoles are expensive but the employee discount is good for that.
Cons
Get's very slow out of Christmas season.
Such a fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 February 2018
The staff was always so positive and great to work with. Everyone was always willing to help each other out with situations. I never had any complaint with the environment. You actually wanted to go to work because it was an entertaining place to be at. Hours working there went by so fast because there was always something to do to keep you occupied.
Pros
great staff, positive environment, hard working, fun
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC5 February 2018
A typical day consisted of helping out families in order to find their needs. I learned the importance of carrying leadership qualities, and management definitely encouraged personal growth!
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS4 February 2018
This was a fun place to work due to the people your surrounded by however management could use a little more organization and inform everyone of the events/sales going on
Good job for students
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2018
Great place to start a work life.
Not a great place if you are looking for hours or fair pay.
Management are required to work long hours for little pay.
Pros
Good starting point
Cons
Insufficient pay and advancement
Great environment and friendly supervisors and coworkers
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2018
A great place to work in supervisors, managers, co-workers were helpful and friendly Experience was great! Felt like I fit in and managers were always there to help an assistant as well as my coworkers.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Minimum wage
fun place to work
Floor Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON1 February 2018
general day includes customer assistance and store maintenance. learned a lot about customer service and basic work training. management is good, co-workers are all very nice. hardest part of the job is standing for so many hours.
Amazing workplace experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON31 January 2018
- Most enjoyable part of working there, getting know people around you and getting along with all the other employees
- Seeing the faces of kids that love to be around toys
- Good place to work during the seasonal months
Pros
Flexible with your schedule
Cons
having to run around if you can't find and item
great job
Service à la clientèle et caissière (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC27 January 2018
Good job if you're looking for something simple, flexible hours and very considerate management team. Friendly crew and easy to deal with customers. The job requires minimum knowledge.
Great atmosphere with great people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 January 2018
Working at ToysRUs was a great experience. I made many friends and memories while I worked there. I never had issues with management or any of my coworkers.
Loved This Job Kind Of
Sales Associate, Babies R Us (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 January 2018
Coworkers are like family, job is usually fun and customers usually more pleasant than at other jobs I've had. Left because the sales quotas for warranties added a lot of pressure and prevented many from advancing where they should have (i.e. warehouse workers who don't make sales). Lack of leadership depending on which manager is in, some managers refuse to accept new information or learn modern ways, others are phenomenal.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
sales quotas for all
Terrible management and poor treatment of new employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS23 January 2018
If you haven’t been working here for 1+ years you are nothing to the company.They give obvious better treatment to the employees who have been there for longer.
Pros
subway near by
Cons
long hours with only one break
Busy place to work around Christmas
Seasonal 500 (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 January 2018
Was a seasonal employee from October to December. Doing the job I did they sure made you work. Always helping customers, doing carry outs, odds and ends here and there; but it was fun overall.
I got stuck with not-so-great store managers
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Repentigny, QC23 January 2018
Didn't stay long so I don't have much to say. They force cashiers to become sales people and if one doesn't sell enough insurances (which are not worth it) you get booted out without a warning. Management was not helpful in times of need. I worked as cashier during the Holidays which made the days go by really quickly. The cash registers were old and very inconvenient (don't know if that's changed or not).

(I accidentally checked off that I do not approve of the CEO and now I can't uncheck..... I never worked or met them so I don't know how they are)
Cons
old technology, cashier = sales person
Friendly staff, fun times
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON19 January 2018
I really enjoyed being a Babies R Us associate despite how unappreciated by management I felt. It is a toy store, how could it not be fun!? The staff really stick together in that place. Kids look at you like you're famous! That i rewarding.
a typical day of work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2018
its a busy store specially weekends. the only think I like its nice environment and nice co worker. but sometimes its kinds
stressed ful too much messed in a floor. But its okay
One of the best places I've ever worked!
World Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 January 2018
When I started at Toys R Us, I think I was 17 and fresh out high school. It wasn't my first job, but it was my first official retail job. I honestly have nothing bad to say about it. I loved it there. Within three months of getting hired, I was already training new cashiers and working stock, I was the one the new cashier ran to for questions, I was their problem solver and the management there saw that, and I was recognized for it. Over Christmas (which was my first Christmas ever in retail), I ran the the front end, I handled returns and ran the cashiers, I was in charge. I was constantly commended for my achievements, I was always thanked for my hard work, and I knew that if there was ever a problem, whether it was a customer being horrible or a cashier not doing their job, I could safely go to my management team and they would listen to my problem and help me sort it out. I applied for a promotion, and I'm pretty sure the only reason I didn't get it, was because I was leaving Canada to study abroad (which I completely understood). When I was back in Canada for good, I stopped in to see if I could have a job and they hired me back, no questions asked. One month later, I was promoted. When I had to make the difficult decision to leave for another job with a better pay, there was no animosity because they hired me again for the third time 3 months later. And then I when I left for Edmonton to go to school, the Store Director and Assistant Store Director assisted me in getting a transfer to a store in Edmonton. So all in all, definitely one of the best places, if not the best,  more... I've worked at.  less
Pros
Wonderful management, flexible scheduling
Cons
Not really full-time unless management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toys 'R' Us. Our community is ready to answer.

53.7K