Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (TMMC) Employee Reviews

Very friendly people, learned a lot
Production Control (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 December 2018
I worked in the production control department on a 4 month co-op placement but worked closely with a few engineering groups and many line workers as well. Everyone was extremely helpful and I picked up a lot of the manufacturing principles that Toyota is famous for during my term there. My management was very very friendly and open, the main focus of our conversations was personal development and advice about projects I was working on. I found that I had a lot of responsibility but really had the chance to complete interesting work and make projects my own. Great work term, would go back again if given the chance.
Pros
Learn the Toyota way, paid over time
Cons
Some positions have long hours
Great job if you can physically do it
Quality Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 December 2018
Worked in Cambridge for 8 months. Gave it all I had and I loved the people and atmosphere but I was not made for assembly. I had trouble keeping up. Mandatory overtime never bothered me. Money was very nice as were benefits and perks (free gym membership, etc.)
Pros
Free lunch once a month
Cons
Very fast and physical
They lie about starting wage.
Factory Worker (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON26 November 2018
They advertise 21.33 to start but when you show up the contract youll be given is stating you will be paid 18.40 an hour. If you didnt know that now you do.
What are you thinking!
Auto worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 November 2018
Stay away if you want a life. Terrible working conditions. Mind and body will be destroyed.
Work anywhere else please. You can make good money elsewhere
Pros
Cons
Terrible work environment
I have worked here
Contract Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 November 2018
I spent two years on contract working for TMMC, it is a TERRIBLE company to work for. Yes the money is good, yes the benefits are good. But the culture and the way they have their workers rights management set up is completely crooked.
Its a social sess pool and if your managers have a personal problem with you, you have NONE, ZERO control over the security of your job.
They can make up any reason to make you look bad and do not care about you.
It needs to be unionized so every employee has the same RIGHTS. As far as im concerned the workers have no rights while they are on contract and your always working your butt off for a company that has no regard for the genuine well being of their employees.
The human resources department works for the well being or the company, not the well being of the employee.
I have personally experienced this and would not recommend this job to anybody.
The people that work there are miserable and there is no diversity in accepting people with different cultural experiences.
Pros
money, benefits
Cons
culture, co-workers, management, HR- everything else.
Assembly line
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON29 October 2018
Working in assembly is boring tough physically and mentally. But the deal breaker is the attitude of some co workers. Some had mental issues and hated their jobs. Trying to avoid them is tough because your nose to nose with them all day.

As a newbie expect to get the toughest jobs nobody wants. As one reviewer said guaranteed your coworker will be gloomy or worse. Fights can and do occasiobalky break out between co workers.

This all refers to the assembly line. Jobs offline are likely a cake walk
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Too many to list
you are a robot
Over hood Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON25 October 2018
Bad place in terms of your health, work life balance, and overall lifestyle the shifts are horrendous, overtime literally every weekend.

Pay is good, but not good enough to sacrifice the time you have outside of work, seeing as working at TMMC is at work 95% of your free time opposed to being out of work for 5% and that is literally for sleep.

Do not work here, lol
Pros
good pay
Cons
work life balance/ overall health of an individual
Good Work place
Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 October 2018
Great company with a good work culture (very dependent on the team)

Good training and you will be taught everything you need to know to get started.

Lots of overtime is expected
Overall great place to work, but the work/home life balance is not the best
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 October 2018
Management is terrible and seniority doesn't really mean anything. A lot of favouritism when it comes to advancement. Management also doesn't apply rules fairly and consistently.
Pros
Good pay and vacation and benefits
Cons
Rotating shifts and long hours
Great teams
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 October 2018
Good place to work at, good benefits and culture. However, if you are working in TEMA, expect no work life balance. There is a lot of weekend work involved
Quickly turning into a sweatshop for contracts
Production Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 September 2018
After a decade, when you reach full wage and full vacation, the deal’s not too bad, but you start on contract (which you can expect to last almost 4 years nowadays) at only 60% of full wage and an even smaller fraction of the benefits/vacation.

Some people do hit the jackpot and get placed (and stay in) easier areas (QC, plastics, a couple lines in weld/press, final line/repair) with decent management, but you’re far more likely to end up in assembly, suspension, or paint with callous management and gloomy coworkers.

So if you don’t mind busting your rear end doing mind numbingly repetitive, back breaking work on rotating shifts with management that thinks you’re a spoiled crybaby, all while living close to poverty and getting very little time off, then this is the job for you. And then if you don’t mind reaching the 10 year mark still doing the same gruelling work but now locked in by the money because you’ve got no transferable skills, then even better. Otherwise, keep your health and sanity and find a slightly less lucrative, but much more bearable job.
Pros
Full rate after 10 years
Cons
Everything else
Fast-paced repetitive physical work
TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON24 September 2018
Extremely hard on the body performing repetitive tasks. Job security is good but it takes a very long time to advance or change departments. Good job for students in the summer.
worst job.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 September 2018
its just a SCAM. once u in u cannot go out. work is so hard for humans. you have to works against machines which is impossible for the salaries they pay. money motivates people they pay $21 which is 1/3 of the workload.
Downhill Slide
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 September 2018
Toyota was once a very good place to work and as a result it took years of waiting to get in the door. The starting pay was solid and the path to full-time and full rate was relatively short.

I've been here better than a decade, I can honestly say at the current starting wage and with the long-term prospects for TMMC remaining in operation more than another decade being slim, DO NOT APPLY!

Management is filled with liars who have no other goals in life than to move into the next position and to buy another stupid thing. They treat you as if they've done you a favour by employing you, and will destroy your body with repetitive work and rotating shifts. They even lobbied the government to allow auto workers only 7 ELOA days when the rest of the province gets 10.

They do not care about you, and as a result their churn or turnover rate is now so obscene they are scrambling to get new people in the door. I waited 2+ years after sending in my application to get interviewed, if you apply now you can start tonight. Think about it.
Pros
Money (eventually)
Cons
Everything else, especially management.
One of the best management company who cares for their employees
quality associate (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2018
Management of the company is one of the best in their field of car manufacturing. Their continuous improvement and lean manufacturing methodology teach us an effective way of manufacturing.
Pros
working in one of the best car manufacturing company
Cons
Most entry level jobs are contract based
i felt oppressed by my most recent gl
Member Lexus Monofoam (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 September 2018
too many people walking over one another to get ahead. the HR department is a joke (three computers no people) When I needed help there was none for me
Pros
$$$ is good and most of my co-workers are good people
Cons
supervisors without people skills
Easy to learn work, but the culture and work will wear you down.
(SENIOR) FULL-TIME TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON25 August 2018
With inflation the way it's becoming, it's less attractive to work for the same amount as 10 years ago. They lie about the length of contract, expect 4 years, and not 2.5-3 years.
Pros
lunches once a month for safety, safe place to work
Cons
shift work, uncertainty, communications do not give all information
overall a great place to work as a student
Summer Student; west weld (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON19 August 2018
i am only a student here, and i have zero complaints about the work environment or the work itself. i have always had great communication with my team leaders, group leaders, and AMs in my area.
Pros
great pay, 7 sick days, shift work
Cons
cant think of one, unless you are a lazy worker.
Good Benefits but little time for anything other than work
AUTOMOTIVE ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 August 2018
You change shifts every two weeks; 2 weeks day shift, to 2 weeks night shift. The changeover leaves you exhausted and when you're working a lot of overtime hours you don't have much free time outside of work. This job is awesome if you want good pay and the opportunity to achieve full benefits, however if you plan on balancing personal life and work, maybe look elsewhere.
Pros
relatively simple tasks, good pay, reliable hours.
Cons
Long hours, repetitive work.
Fast paced
Assembly team member - Lexus Engine Line (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON12 August 2018
Overall a fast paced hard working environment where it will take approximately four years to become full time. It is unfortunate that it will take that long and then another 6 years after that to get full rate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (TMMC). Our community is ready to answer.

2.9