Play YouTube video button

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (TMMC) Employee Reviews

I have worked here
Contract Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 November 2018
I spent two years on contract working for TMMC, it is a TERRIBLE company to work for. Yes the money is good, yes the benefits are good. But the culture and the way they have their workers rights management set up is completely crooked.
Its a social sess pool and if your managers have a personal problem with you, you have NONE, ZERO control over the security of your job.
They can make up any reason to make you look bad and do not care about you.
It needs to be unionized so every employee has the same RIGHTS. As far as im concerned the workers have no rights while they are on contract and your always working your butt off for a company that has no regard for the genuine well being of their employees.
The human resources department works for the well being or the company, not the well being of the employee.
I have personally experienced this and would not recommend this job to anybody.
The people that work there are miserable and there is no diversity in accepting people with different cultural experiences.
Pros
money, benefits
Cons
culture, co-workers, management, HR- everything else.
Very friendly people, learned a lot
Production Control (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 December 2018
I worked in the production control department on a 4 month co-op placement but worked closely with a few engineering groups and many line workers as well. Everyone was extremely helpful and I picked up a lot of the manufacturing principles that Toyota is famous for during my term there. My management was very very friendly and open, the main focus of our conversations was personal development and advice about projects I was working on. I found that I had a lot of responsibility but really had the chance to complete interesting work and make projects my own. Great work term, would go back again if given the chance.
Pros
Learn the Toyota way, paid over time
Cons
Some positions have long hours
Fast paced work environment
Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON23 January 2019
DO NOT APPLY HERE!IT will wreck your body& your mind!Ive been there for 15 years and it’s a prison camp.They don’t care about you or your health.Full of drama with mainly female co workers,like going to high school all over again.MANAGEMENT does not care about you,they only care how many cars are built a day!!!HR will do nothing to help you.
Do yourself a favor and do not apply here!Save your health by not working here.Everyine that posited reviews are on point!
Worst place EVER to work.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, Management, Fast paced environment, useless supervisors, poisonous place to work!
Overall great place to work, but the work/home life balance is not the best
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 October 2018
Management is terrible and seniority doesn't really mean anything. A lot of favouritism when it comes to advancement. Management also doesn't apply rules fairly and consistently.
Pros
Good pay and vacation and benefits
Cons
Rotating shifts and long hours
Quickly turning into a sweatshop for contracts
Production Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 September 2018
After a decade, when you reach full wage and full vacation, the deal’s not too bad, but you start on contract (which you can expect to last almost 4 years nowadays) at only 60% of full wage and an even smaller fraction of the benefits/vacation.

Some people do hit the jackpot and get placed (and stay in) easier areas (QC, plastics, a couple lines in weld/press, final line/repair) with decent management, but you’re far more likely to end up in assembly, suspension, or paint with callous management and gloomy coworkers.

So if you don’t mind busting your rear end doing mind numbingly repetitive, back breaking work on rotating shifts with management that thinks you’re a spoiled crybaby, all while living close to poverty and getting very little time off, then this is the job for you. And then if you don’t mind reaching the 10 year mark still doing the same gruelling work but now locked in by the money because you’ve got no transferable skills, then even better. Otherwise, keep your health and sanity and find a slightly less lucrative, but much more bearable job.
Pros
Full rate after 10 years
Cons
Everything else
Great if want no family life
Spouse of tl at tmmc (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 January 2019
No possibility for work/family balance. TMMC is all about ruining families.
Drugs, infidelity, lies abound within the employees.
Ruined families.
When you force employees to spend more time there than with their children and spouses it is no wonder they offer free counselling for employees and their families.
Depression, stress, anxiety are rampant.
Wouldn't wish this workplace on my worst enemy.
Rumours and low esteem in employees are out of control.
No morale amongst employees.
Most miserable and hate their jobs.
Benefits
Cons
Mandatory ot, no family life, easy access to drugs
Welcome to the boys club
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON9 February 2019
2 years to get hired..great..2 week training.great. Work on the line is for complete idiots and being the idiot you are they treat you like one too. There is nothing good about these contract jobs ..2 week shifts..really..4 years to get hired..really..a free lunch once a month..woohoo you loser Stay in school kids don't get trapped in these jobs for the uneducated..get a trade..20 bucks an hour seems good but really you will be a crippled alcoholic..shadow of yourself after 5 years of that how to make an idiot out of an idiot job.
and management..just read the reviews..there true..bunch of do nothing slaggers looking out for number 1. Have fun
Pros
Money
Cons
Contract for 4 years..really its true
Negative Work Environment
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 July 2018
The hours are very difficult to manage time with regular life tasks and management is very pushy and at times take advantage of their status and are inappropriate. They also thrive on treating line workers like children as well as putting them down. Work culture is also childish and dreadful. The pay may be worth it but the workplace here is mostly negative attitudes.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours and childish attitudes
Great teams
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 October 2018
Good place to work at, good benefits and culture. However, if you are working in TEMA, expect no work life balance. There is a lot of weekend work involved
Apply elsewhere
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodstock and Cambridge locations20 December 2018
Former employee, even though I never went over my sick days, management was happy with the quality of my work, never 'stirred the pot' causing unnecessary drama, I was still treated poorly over the years I worked there. There are some good ones, but many members of management are not qualified for their jobs and are well known for treatment of workers that is very questionable and yet HR never does anything to improve this. For example, I have had to threaten certain actions despite trying to follow company processes to resolve issues over being harassed by a Group Leader or to get the company to adhere to medical restrictions I willingly provided all documentation requested for. Poor treatment of workers dealing with mental health issues, I have had the doctor and nurses in the company's Cambridge health center state they know nothing about the medication I was on then use a google search to tell me my family doctor was wrong. Contract workers now have to wait 3-4 years to reach permanent employment despite the fact the company could not run without them, and are stuck waiting 10 years for full rate to do the exact same job as the person beside them. Job security is quite reasonable at least, you really have to do something wrong to get fired, but likelihood of promotion is very low. Benefits package is decent. Work is highly repetitve as to be expected with a factory, easily remedied with job rotation but many areas don't do enough training to have good rotation. I had very poor experiences with this company and would not recommend it.
Pros
Reasonable job security, benefits
Cons
Shift work, management, length of contract periods
Good Benefits but little time for anything other than work
AUTOMOTIVE ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 August 2018
You change shifts every two weeks; 2 weeks day shift, to 2 weeks night shift. The changeover leaves you exhausted and when you're working a lot of overtime hours you don't have much free time outside of work. This job is awesome if you want good pay and the opportunity to achieve full benefits, however if you plan on balancing personal life and work, maybe look elsewhere.
Pros
relatively simple tasks, good pay, reliable hours.
Cons
Long hours, repetitive work.
Working for a world famous company with the founding principles tracing back to Japan and a culture embedded in quality and craftsmanship.
Shunter (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 April 2018
Don’t let the negative reviews fool you- this is a great place to work with big earning potential.

I have never felt more at home working for TMMC. Co-workers are great, management stern but fair. Competitive salary, benefits package and enough work to keep me busy throughout my shift.

I have and will continue to recommend TMMC to anyone out there looking for work.
Pros
Wages, lots of hours with the potential for overtime, friendly and supportive co-workers, listening to music while working
Cons
Gossip, fear-mongering, drug use, adultery, theft from vehicles, employees with poor attitudes
Materials Handler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON27 December 2018
I delivered materials and it was great. Hours suck, shifts are long but that's what you get with factory work. Management is hit and miss. no one really enjoys it there but the money and benefits are worth it.
In a word...awful
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 December 2018
TMMC has the notion that it is an amazing place to work. They feed you lines that it’s a family first company, Team Members matter, safety above all etc. This is false, attendance and not stopping the line are all they care about. That’s it.

The money is great unless you’re on the 10-year plan. A decade is all it takes to make actual “Toyota Money”. Trust me your body will be used up after 10 years, you will earn that top rate. They have fixed the poor treatment of Contracts a bit, a weeks’ vacation and benefits which they didn’t have before, however it’s more or less eliminated the benefits or becoming a permanent hire.

From talk of “back when the Japanese managed it...” apparently it was a pretty great place to work. Those days are before my time. Bottom line: it is not a great place to work now.

You will get trapped here and forever work on terrible shifts. You will be a number to them and VERY easy to replace. The work is not difficult to learn and excel at, but It is a mind-numbing, soul-crushing, body-destroying grind for $20/hr.
Take a hard pass, folks.
Pros
Free lunches from time to time
Cons
Literally everything else
Downhill Slide
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 September 2018
Toyota was once a very good place to work and as a result it took years of waiting to get in the door. The starting pay was solid and the path to full-time and full rate was relatively short.

I've been here better than a decade, I can honestly say at the current starting wage and with the long-term prospects for TMMC remaining in operation more than another decade being slim, DO NOT APPLY!

Management is filled with liars who have no other goals in life than to move into the next position and to buy another stupid thing. They treat you as if they've done you a favour by employing you, and will destroy your body with repetitive work and rotating shifts. They even lobbied the government to allow auto workers only 7 ELOA days when the rest of the province gets 10.

They do not care about you, and as a result their churn or turnover rate is now so obscene they are scrambling to get new people in the door. I waited 2+ years after sending in my application to get interviewed, if you apply now you can start tonight. Think about it.
Pros
Money (eventually)
Cons
Everything else, especially management.
you are a robot
Over hood Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON25 October 2018
Bad place in terms of your health, work life balance, and overall lifestyle the shifts are horrendous, overtime literally every weekend.

Pay is good, but not good enough to sacrifice the time you have outside of work, seeing as working at TMMC is at work 95% of your free time opposed to being out of work for 5% and that is literally for sleep.

Do not work here, lol
Pros
good pay
Cons
work life balance/ overall health of an individual
Very physical job but well rewarded
Assembly / Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON16 May 2018
Very high burden on your body but the pay and benefits are great and lots of room for advancement. Eventually you end up in a better area and it gets easier on you.
Pros
great pay, room for advencement
Cons
long hours, high burden on the body and on contract for a long time.
Good for gaining work experience, but not a long term career choice.
PRODUCTION TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON21 December 2018
Toyota paid very well, but the work life balance was just not there, and the swing shifts are very detrimental to your health, working from 6:15am to 3:45pm, and switch to 5:45pm to 4:15am every two weeks is just not healthy, within a few years you will burn out.
Great job if you can physically do it
Quality Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 December 2018
Worked in Cambridge for 8 months. Gave it all I had and I loved the people and atmosphere but I was not made for assembly. I had trouble keeping up. Mandatory overtime never bothered me. Money was very nice as were benefits and perks (free gym membership, etc.)
Pros
Free lunch once a month
Cons
Very fast and physical
Long hours, great pay
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON14 January 2019
Working at TMMC is often a long day, but it goes by quickly because you're always busy and moving. 10/hour shifts are not unusual, and by the end of your first few weeks you will be exhausted, but I found it very satisfying.
Pros
Free steel toes - no uniform
Cons
long hours, poor life/work balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (TMMC). Our community is ready to answer.

2.9