Township of Langley

Township of Langley Employee Reviews

Good for flexibility, best if transportation is owned

There are various shifts available to pick up at the multiple facilities programs are offered, in small segment shifts (with a couple exceptions such as day camps and dances). Rec workers plan and lead the programs, sometimes after a shadow shift but with the possibility of running a program without knowing expectations other than what is listed on the leisure guide and perhaps alone. Supervisors or Rec leads are available for emailed questions around the programs and can provide example plans. Would recommend if energetic, good at multi-tasking, problem solving and looking to pick up shifts.

Pros

Leading kids programs

Cons

Short hours at various locations

Difficult work environment depending on the department

Not a lot of encouragement from management to be creative or try new things, and limited support. Often younger/newer staff members are not respected but expected to do the work of other staff that have been there much longer. Cross department collaboration is hit and miss depending who is involved. Lack of cultural diversity, especially concerning indigenous-related content supervisor positions.

Most front line workers are wonderful

If you like to put in a good days work for the community and its residents the organization is great. Different departments, specifically different leaders will create a different opinion of what working for the TOL is like. Some areas very bad, some are very good..From my observations it's still an old boys club, very little ethnic diversity, women rarely get promoted. It helps if you appear similar to the management, then they treat you good. Good stepping stone jobs.Some of the other lower reviews are quite truthful, unfortunately. Lots of gossip and backstabbing depending where you are

Pros

Good pay for young employees

Cons

MANY other things

They will work you into the ground

Very high workload, under staffed, little support, many toxic managers, health and safety takes a back seat to everything else. Weak collective agreement unless you are permanent full-time and even then it is not the best. Benefits are terrible. Opt out. Promotions are based on favourtism even if they make you go through all the motions of the application process. Expect long panel interviews and excessive amounts of testing or work samples. Do yourself a favour and avoid the Township.

Great pay, supportive management when needed

Great pay, easy to pick up hours, hard to advance past auxiliary position. If you want flexible hours this is the place to be! Most co-workers are just as hard working but sometimes you watch people get paid the same as you and slack on the job. Management is supportive when you need help which is great.

Great workplace!

The Township of Langley has been a great workplace. I feel that the managers are supportive and very flexible and empathetic. This job is great for anybody wanting to work with people and if you need a flexible auxiliary position.

Pros

good pay, paid training, flexible scheduling, fairly easy work

Cons

schedule changes every 3 months, can be hard to get the hours you want

I only volunteered, but everyone there was helpful.

I only volunteered there, but i could imagine working there would be wonderful too. Run by very helpful and understanding people, could not of asked for a better experience. The people who did work there seemed very fond of their jobs, and were compassionate for what they did . :)

working in township of langley is fun

a typical day a work everyday is different , I have my duties but I tried to do in differents ways . I learned something different everyday as well , I discovered different methods to do my job better. my supervisor are good person with all the personal working there I tried to finished on time and finished all my duties assigned. there is not hard part I tried to do one thing at the time I enjoyed working with the people to served them

Pros

opportunuties to grow up into the company, taking availables courses

Cons

n/a

Fun, Relaxed work environment

You can choose your own hours and it is very interesting to get to meet so many new people. There are so many ways to try new things that people wouldn't usually try.

enjoyed my time there, but hours were a challenge. Most of the people there got along for the most part. Spent 6 years on night shift and had a hard time acquiring a day time position.

Jobs at Township of Langley

See more jobs

Good staff team

Had a great bunch of people to work with. The managers hardly came around, mostly clerks who ran the show. Some clerks were better than other but that’s how it goes. I would definitely work there again.

Good place to work at, terrible place to work for

If you can kiss managements butt then the higher up you will get. If you come here to work that will get you nowhere. Lots of politics and drama . Human resources and management do not care about the workers. You are just a number.

Don't bother unless you're about to retire

Pay is ok. benefits suck unless you mange to make it full time. management is Meh. They care 50% of the time. Good at blowing money, except on you and proper equipment, zero overtime. Lots of drama between employees. Either be quiet, be favourite or you'll be fired

Excellent employment opportunity for students

The township works to be flexible with a student's ever-changing schedule. I enjoy the job, and I find it to be very fulfilling. I have recommended this employer to my friends.

super fun workplace

The township of Langley is a super fun, and relaxed work environment. During my time at the township, i found all the employees/ management to be very kind and very much by the book. I recommend this place for anyone to work at!

Pros

fun work

Cons

very few regular hours

fun work place

keeping the park clean, answering guest questions, telling people/guests when it is okay for them to go down the slides and how to properly go down the and all the rules of the park. management is nice with so many staff it is difficult for them to get scheduling done.

Take the good with the bad.

Union is a little weak. Lots of different kinds of jobs available to transfer into but very little room to move up. Depending on department there can be a very large disconnect between management and union. To much emphasis placed on redundant paperwork and work orders. Good pay for someone starting up but not enough for a single person to buy a home anywhere close to the area. That being said it is a good work environment with an emphasis on safety. The work is not incredibly strenuous, and you are guaranteed a steady paycheck. People are easy to get along with and there are a lot of outdoor enthusiasts.

Pros

Good work environment, safety oriented, decent wages, steady work

Cons

Weak union, micro-management, redundant paperwork, not much opportunity for advancement

Lots of opportunity here

Great place to work and some fantastic co-workers. Langley has been growing and so lots of new jobs seem to be coming up at the Township of Langley. I started in a lower position and now supervise a lot of other staff. Most managers here are good mentors and willing to help you in your job. Wages are way better than back in Manitoba where I came from, but cost of living is higher too. Still with that factored in, the wages and job security outweigh higher gas, food and lodging. Still ahead here and the weather is great. Not sure where that other person who provided the unfavorable review about the Township worked, but it sounds as though he just didn't like the work he was doing.

Sexist, gossipy, negative attitudes among the worker bees and up

Like other government entities, the T.O.L often enough hires "temporary employees" with the seeming promise of full time employment. Unless you have the right degree and the "right" people on your side (if they aren't favoring someone else they know for the position) you are simply just getting paid; but without benefits,stat pay or job security because it saves them money overall. I'm not going to get into my experiences, as the title literally explains that, not to be taken too lightly but only as a grain of salt, folks!

Pros

Good pay, decent hours

Cons

title

Great place to work, promotes personal growth and wellbeing.

Fun and positive environment

Responsible for the supervision, instruction and safety of swimming patrons. Skills include team work, adaptability, problem solving, organizational as well as the ability to interact with a broad range of people and cultures. Working under pressure in a public environment has taught me patience and the importance of being prepared. I have used my first aid skills on several occasions. Other responsibilities include janitorial duties, continued education and training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Township of Langley. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement