TOWN OF OAKVILLE

Working at TOWN OF OAKVILLE: Employee Reviews

Canada77 reviews

Loved the job

Was an amazing place to start my career and had great relationships there with my co workers. I would work there again and had a good work life balance

Great place for part time work

Fun staff and good management. The community centre's can be alot of fun as a part time job. Generally management was very flexible with scheduling around a students life.

Insights into TOWN OF OAKVILLE

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Great atmosphere. You start off with some hours and can work up to the full part-time hours if you really want too!

I've loved my job for the last couple years, but I've been trying to move up and out of the part-time job and it's been difficult. Management controls who moves up and stays where they are no matter what. I wish I was able to move up because of my actions and not because of people I know.

Pros

Flexible schedule Management is easy to reach and speak with

Cons

No advancements and long shift hours with COVID

Productive and great work environment

I Enjoyed working there. I Learnt something new daily. Helpful staff. i Received extensive training and was confident of being successful. Management was very accomodative with timings.

Pros

Great Supervisors, great team

Productive and fun place to work for the most part

Enjoyable and fun place to work but the down side was poor upper management, lots of people in the wrong positions with out the credentials to back them. Regular mid Management workers were great! Be careful who you trust!!

Pros

gym access

Cons

poor upper management

Average summer job

A summer job for university and college students. It was fine to work there, however, there were no real benefits unless it rained A LOT in which case you might be sent home.

Pros

worked outside, pet lots of dogs, learned how to drive a truck with a water trailer, learned how to get water from a fire hydrant

Cons

no benefits, no advancement in company

The best place to work

My Manager was a gem .. she took care of all scheduling needs, at times scolded like a family member and was genuinely helpful for everything all of us did

Fun

staff are great and friendly. Awesome time working there. Definitely recommend it for teenagers in high school, you improve social skills, collaborative skills, etc.

Fun

fun and enjoyable. people are great, outdoors which is my favourite perk of the job. lots of independence in the job at sanitation. Its not as gross as you think it will be. Live a little and try it out

Loved it

I loved it, but this was few years back. My team was small, very collaborative and proactive. Loved my CEO and enjoyed working together with the team.

Pros

Open hours, collaborative team

This was a HORRIBLE place to work

Just another sexist, harassment and gossip infused municipality environment. I had an actual mental breakdown working for this corporation. Don't share your opinions or ideas, or work too hard because that is assumed you're stepping on the toes of the higher-ups. If you don't engage in gossip or hate the same people your Lead Hands hate than you're the new target. Don't expect your supervisors to have your back at all, they will throw you under the bus to make themselves look better. Being in a Union means nothing when you're seasonal. Even HR will turn against you and make your life miserable. The work is easy but the culture is suited for a certain personality type, one that you DON'T want to be, trust me. Bunch of greasy people and fully grown children. Do not recommend.

Review

On a typical day at work, I would show up with enough time to set up and create a lesson plan. My colleague would usually be teaching a lesson beforehand so he wasn't able to help me out. We were given four lanes to teach thirty kids for one hour followed by a second group of thirty kids for the next hour. Having little to no help, the lessons were very fast-paced and stressful.

They take the safety of patrons very seriously

They take the safety of patrons very seriously, when working for the town of oakville i was forced to multiple trainning sesions during my time there to make sure that all my lifesaving skills were up to date and to make sure that i was capable to save someone need be.

good

good place to work for working for community, leadership is quite authority driven, politically influenced and good place to balance work and life in nice environment

Fast paced environment with supportive management.

Management always ensures that they are on the same page as their employees, and that we are comfortable with what is being asked of us. Sometimes it is difficult to understand what exactly our employers are expecting from certain programs.

Excellent job with good opportunities for advancement

Once you have the needed certifications, the town of Oakville is a great place to teach and lifeguard, and a good place to meet other employees. Shift work during the year with good flexibility and lots of opportunities to move up in the rankings.

I have had nothing but positive experiences while working with the town. I have met friends for life and management is very approachable. This is my first experience working for a municipality and I have found the work atmosphere to be excellent. I would recommend to anyone working in the skilled trades to apply to Oakville.

relaxing environment. always food being offered. nice offices

I was only a volunteer. everyone worked on their own pace people were respectful and professional a typical day in my position included data entry, filing and typical admin work

Great group and managment

I really enjoyed working for the town of Oakville but only because you get to work with people your age and its easy to connect with them. we all became very close by the end of the summer. But the job isn't exactly worth the pay.

Difficult place to work for more than 3 years

Very oppinionated Management and HR. If they have a problem with your personality they will make your work life as difficult as possible until you accept your fate, quit or find better employment.

Pros

Just above avg. wage and new equipment

Cons

Heartless managment, lack of respect, impossible to move up positions unless you backstab and bootlick, difficult people, dehumanizing - you are a number, just tow the rope

Lazy, Mysogynistic, biased,

You have to play their game. Do as little work as possible while making it look like you're working. They don't like being shown up by people that work hard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TOWN OF OAKVILLE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement