TOWN OF OAKVILLE

TOWN OF OAKVILLE Employee Reviews

My Manager was a gem .. she took care of all scheduling needs, at times scolded like a family member and was genuinely helpful for everything all of us did
staff are great and friendly. Awesome time working there. Definitely recommend it for teenagers in high school, you improve social skills, collaborative skills, etc.
fun and enjoyable. people are great, outdoors which is my favourite perk of the job. lots of independence in the job at sanitation. Its not as gross as you think it will be. Live a little and try it out
I loved it, but this was few years back. My team was small, very collaborative and proactive. Loved my CEO and enjoyed working together with the team.
Pros
Open hours, collaborative team
It is a fast-paced environment and can be a little stressful sometimes. But good management makes everything better, the organization is incredible, the work/life balance is valued and the space in clean and well maintained. There is always lots of to learn. I do think the pay is quite low for part timers for the amount of work they do and the opportunity of advancement is narrow.
Just another sexist, harassment and gossip infused municipality environment. I had an actual mental breakdown working for this corporation. Don't share your opinions or ideas, or work too hard because that is assumed you're stepping on the toes of the higher-ups. If you don't engage in gossip or hate the same people your Lead Hands hate than you're the new target. Don't expect your supervisors to have your back at all, they will throw you under the bus to make themselves look better. Being in a Union means nothing when you're seasonal. Even HR will turn against you and make your life miserable. The work is easy but the culture is suited for a certain personality type, one that you DON'T want to be, trust me. Bunch of greasy people and fully grown children. Do not recommend.
On a typical day at work, I would show up with enough time to set up and create a lesson plan. My colleague would usually be teaching a lesson beforehand so he wasn't able to help me out. We were given four lanes to teach thirty kids for one hour followed by a second group of thirty kids for the next hour. Having little to no help, the lessons were very fast-paced and stressful.
They take the safety of patrons very seriously, when working for the town of oakville i was forced to multiple trainning sesions during my time there to make sure that all my lifesaving skills were up to date and to make sure that i was capable to save someone need be.
good place to work for working for community, leadership is quite authority driven, politically influenced and good place to balance work and life in nice environment
Management always ensures that they are on the same page as their employees, and that we are comfortable with what is being asked of us. Sometimes it is difficult to understand what exactly our employers are expecting from certain programs.
Once you have the needed certifications, the town of Oakville is a great place to teach and lifeguard, and a good place to meet other employees. Shift work during the year with good flexibility and lots of opportunities to move up in the rankings.
I have had nothing but positive experiences while working with the town. I have met friends for life and management is very approachable. This is my first experience working for a municipality and I have found the work atmosphere to be excellent. I would recommend to anyone working in the skilled trades to apply to Oakville.
I was only a volunteer. everyone worked on their own pace people were respectful and professional a typical day in my position included data entry, filing and typical admin work
I really enjoyed working for the town of Oakville but only because you get to work with people your age and its easy to connect with them. we all became very close by the end of the summer. But the job isn't exactly worth the pay.
Very oppinionated Management and HR. If they have a problem with your personality they will make your work life as difficult as possible until you accept your fate, quit or find better employment.
Pros
Just above avg. wage and new equipment
Cons
Heartless managment, lack of respect, impossible to move up positions unless you backstab and bootlick, difficult people, dehumanizing - you are a number, just tow the rope
You have to play their game. Do as little work as possible while making it look like you're working. They don't like being shown up by people that work hard.
A typical day at worked involved the staff setting up at their various locations for the day. The supervisor stopped by numerous times a day to check in on staff. Asking for updates and how we were doing,it was a great summer job.
I was a summer student there and let me tell you the department I worked for were the worst supervisors ever. Even other departments called the supervisors dumb and dumber. And if you do not know someone/related who works at the town like me they treat you like a piece of garbage and get a power trip of making students lives miserable. Awful place and I am so disappointed by this do not apply there unless you know someone because they will treat you like garbage and the students who do know people get treated with way more respect. Never going back.
Great summer job for a university student. Paid well enough to survive at school and doesn't overwork you leaving you with a good summer. Not very hard work.
If you like physical work in the heat, then this is the job for you. I didn't like my group so I didn't have a good experience. a day at work was getting to the parking lot at 6:30am, then they bus you to the meeting center, you pick up all your supplies for the day and then you are off working in the heat with heavy machines.
Good opportunity to learn on the job. Safe and healthy work environment with efficient trouble shooting for immediate issues. Some management issues but overall enjoyed my time and staff involved in centres