Total Power Limited

Total Power Limited Reviews with Jobs

Canada26 reviews

Insights into Total Power Limited

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Very specialized work. Great learning opportunity

Total power and management was up front about travel but as more contracts with customers were signed, more travel caused more time away from family. They always were very safety conscious and for the most part had safety gear available for their technicians. There is not a standardized rate for their workers and also had to fight to get a raise for so long that it was , among other things, that led me to leave the company. Very grateful for the learning opportunity and felt like a was part of a tight knit group. Training was hindered by covid but courses that were offered were great. Paid lunches sometimes if doing in town work. I was fortunate enough to work in the same branch as the VP of operations and he was very friendly, had an open door to any issues that you felt you needed to address, never never made anyone feel as if he was above anyone else at the branches. He would be happy to sit down at the lunch table at the office with everyone and have a chat with everyone about life. Overall a great company to work for but traveling away from family ultimately was the deciding factor for my departure. I had a minimum of 4000km a month and upwards of 8000km traveled, albeit in a company truck with no out of pocket expenses. If you don't have young kids or are ok with week long trips away, you will be happy working with this company. I was never unhappy with the work that was asked of me just the time away took a toll on my family life. I don't believe it was intentional as I know that the specific branch I worked at had specific needs as a business, no hard feelings from -

Pros

Occasionally free lunches, company truck, gas card, employer paid benefits, Lots of places you would never see unless working on specific equipment, Lots of overtime, Paid hotels

Cons

Could be long days depending on work needed, ie troubleshooting problematic gens and travel time to and from site. Week long trips out of town, but mostly interior bc branches, other branches are for the most part home most nights. Lots of travel, also branch specific. Live out allowance could have been a little more.

Excessive required overtime

At this job, you will be required to lift more than their company policy maximum weight, work 80 hours a week often, and receive one of the lowest pay scales in the generator industry.This company has recently lost atleast 7 techs in 6 months. There is a big reason for this…Great industry to work in.. just not for this company!

Pros

Tons of overtime and they pay lots of double time

Cons

Excessive hours, lowest pay, wouldn’t recommend an enemy to work here

amazing company

I had a great time with company and would recomend this company to anyone. company took care of me and I hope they feel the same. I left to try other things. my west end manager was the best

Pros

everything

Cons

they gave me to much

Great company

This company is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The workplace culture is great, very team oriented and super friendly. The people are the best part, there are a lot of opportunities to grow and advance your career within the company. If you want to work hard for a great company with awesome people, then Total Power is for you.

Pros

Company Culture

9 December 2020
Thank you for your review! We take pride in our culture and our people.

Growing company with tons of potential

After almost two decades in the generator industry and working for several major companies worldwide, the first thing i can say about Total Power is wow what an exciting place to work! From what i hear in the past the company grew quickly and lost some focus, but management listened and made changes, and since i joined a couple of years ago it has been fantastic and I have seen nothing but it going from strength to strength improving all the way. It is busy and fast paced but in todays economy who can complain about that! Hard work and loyalty is rewarded so I wonder if the poor reviews on here were people looking for an easy ride. If you're keen and energetic and looking for somewhere that respects and repays hard work then you wont be disappointed. Management engages and listen to the staff so your voice and opinion will always be heard and i have seen firsthand changes made to satisfy opinion from employees. The company is small enough that everyone is close to someone who can make a difference, small enough to be reactive, but big enough (and getting bigger) to ensure security and a growing presence in the industry. Come join us, we are going places.

9 December 2020
Thank you for your review! We are indeed growing and looking for great talent to be part of our success story.

Don't waste your time..

At TP everyone is constantly over worked amd they do not care. They have many illegal work practices, and when you say something management will tell you "not talk to other technicians" Pay is low, training is a joke. They say the have some of the best techs, but I assure you they do not. Safety is 3rd on their radar after Managment bonuses and profits.

11 May 2020
Thank you for your review. Our employees are the key to our success story and we value their work and treat them with utmost respect. We have employees who have been with us for over 30 years. We take pride in saying our Technicians are one of the best in the industry. They go through intense training by Generac Certified Trainers and at the Generac factory. Safety is our number one priority. We will never ask our employees to perform any work they deem unsafe. We have a solid H&S structure in place.We wish you all the best with your future endeavors.

Rewarding Place to Come to Every Day.

Compared to my previous employers, all of which large global corporations, TPL has by far been the most fulfilling place to work. Supportive senior management, an abundance of training and highly competitive pay. In a fast paced business, within a rapidly growing company, there is no lack of opportunity for those who wish to challenge themselves and expand upon their careers. Come join us if you like winning and actually enjoy your job!

Pros

Family like culture

9 December 2020
Thank you for your review! We are happy to have you as part of our family.

Great company culture

My manager is focused on my development as an employee. Most days fly by, Generator Technicians get free lunches occasionally, people within the office are very nice and laid back. As long as you fit the culture, which is be nice, driven, and polite, you should fit in no problem. Salary is competitive for my position, only beaten by banks or large corporations. If you are looking for a small company, Total Power is for you.

9 December 2020
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback on the company culture.

Managment is a joke

Total power starts out as a great place to work, good benefits, a feeling of security, ownership that seems to care about you as an employee. After time you realize the truth, it's all fake. The most important thing to note about about Total Power is the managers are terrible and ownership couldn't care less. After putting in many years of hard work travelling and sacrificing home life you get treated with no respect. Problem number 1 is you take a guy who sold cell phones for a living and give him the keys to the castle. You've got a manager who knows nothing about managing people let alone managing a full fledged branch. Under this manager there had been roughly a total of 9 employees who have not been successful working under him. Some of these employees were let go some left by choice but the real fact is most of them had no or poor direction and basically no support and that is the real reason. If you want to work for a manager that lies, steals and who puts money above safety and company values this is the place. Having a manager that uses company assets for personal gain is fantastic. After many years of letting the higher up's and the HR department know the problems of what's transpiring, its determined that I'm the issue makes sense right? (Even though almost everyone that has worked for the manager did not suceed). At the end of the day they will intentionally hold you back , provide you with very little real world training , make you the scapegoat for their failures. You can let ownership and HR know if you have a personal problem and they will -

Pros

Sometimes free lunch, good benefits

Cons

Work life balace, management, HR deparment Brutal

19 November 2019
Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that you did not have a great experience with us. Total Power believes in hiring the right people and developing them with the right skills. Our Sudbury branch has always done well and met the company’s expectations. We live and breathe by our company values; one of them is Integrity. We believe in our employees and we know they will always stand by our values. We take pride in saying our Technicians are one of the best in the industry. They go through intense training by Generac Certified Trainers and also at the Generac factory. We are very honest and transparent about the hours of work and on-call requirements during the hiring process. Our on-call schedule varies based on the branch and the position. We have been in the business over 60 years and we have a lot of loyal customers. We believe in taking care of them and providing them with extraordinary experience with every interaction. We wish you all the best with your future endeavors.

Passion, Integrity & Culture

If your looking for a company with passion and integrity this is the place for you. Long time employee, never have I been more at home then working at Total Power.  The culture and values the employee’s pride themselves on is incredible. From the passion our technicians put into their work to the collaboration our office staff bring to the table to achieve our goals is amazing. At Total Power your voice counts and you’re not just a number, your family.

Pros

Social Committee Events, Great Group of People, Second Family

Cons

No issues so far.

9 December 2020
Thank you for your review! We are happy to have you as part of our family.

Great Company; Great Culture

Total Power is a family owned and operated company with just under 200 employees. The culture allows you to concentrate on doing your job and not worry about corporate bureaucracy. Managers are held accountable for staff productivity but more importantly their well being. If you are looking for stability, great pay, and a positive culture that provides growth and challenge then Total Power is the right company for you.

Pros

Positive Culture

Cons

Need to have more locations to work at.

Thank you for your review! We are glad to have you as part of our family!

Worked long hrs and no overtime paid to me

I was at total power for a year.i liked all the guys i worked with.yhd owner seemed like a great guy.good benefits.hers the bad and really bad.i was forced to put in sometimes 16 hr shifts.and to my suprise was not paid any overtime.when i brought this up after my paycheque was hundreds short after a 60hr workweek.i was informed that overtime is only paid on billable hrs.so if we are not charging overtime i was expected to drive 16 hrs in a day to not be paid .to get time off instead.also i was on call 24/7 with 2 days off ,one saturday and sunday a month.made nothing extra to do so .was refused overtime constantly.so where was the motivation to do a job like this.also i was forced to haul extremely overweight units thousands of kms.the trailers were over 5 years past government cert.brakes on one 15000lb unit were not working snd down to steel.i was forced to haul it all over ontario with management not careing.if it killed someone id be in jail.they knew i needed a job so i was threarened to haul this deathtrap equipment.so be warned nobody carss about u or youre safety its all about making cash.best thing i did was leave

Pros

Cons

Lots

13 June 2019
Thank you for your review. The nature of our business is providing emergency power solutions and because of the type of business we are in, our Technicians are sometimes required to work long hours. We are very honest and transparent about the hours of work and on-call requirements during the hiring process. Our on-call schedule varies based on the branch and the position. All of our employees are compensated in alignment with the provincial employment standards and we typically exceed the employment standards requirements. Safety is our number one priority and we ensure all of our employees follow our safety protocols. Our employees are required to conduct pre and post inspection of our vehicles/equipment and report any hazards to their manager. We will never ask our employees to perform any work they deem unsafe.We wish you all the best with your future endeavors.

Great company with a people focused culture!

Total Power is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. I have grown so much in the last 2 years because of the owners and their management style. The owners genuinely care for you as an individual and will support personal development. I have seen so many internal transfers within the last 2 years to promote employees within. The culture is very people focused and everyone here is a big family. Culture fit is very important for us. It's a home away from home!!

Pros

Personal career development, company sponsored training, flexible work hours, work life balance, social committee, free food

Cons

Nothing, it's been a great experience so far

29 March 2021
Thank you for your review! We are glad to have you as part of our family!

They take car of their employees.

Fair pay and expectations. Better then any company I have seen. They treat their employees like people and have the best wages and overtime pay. They follow and go beyond labour law. They do their best to keep everyone working.

Pros

Pay, respect, professionalism.

Cons

Mostly service so could be on emergency hours, out of town site work.

15 March 2019
Thank you for your review! Glad to hear you enjoyed working with us.

Total Power Ltd.

Service Quotation and billings for post sales department. Service scheduling in GTA. Billing and creation of work orders. Use of SAP and data system to maintain Customer accounts.

Pros

None.

Cons

Poor Company culture

15 March 2019
Thank you for your review!We believe a great company culture is key to employee satisfaction and retention and we put a lot of effort in improving and maintaining a great culture. We host annual small group meetings with our employees to voice their concerns (owners and employees only, no managers are present), and we conduct annual employee surveys. The results from the meetings and surveys are used to improve our company culture.

High school like enviroment

It is a good company if you are just starting your career. Training was good. Beyond that there is no room for improvement and moving up. There is too much drama and general mistrust between employees. Like high school there are different groups. Everyone is talking behind each other's back.

Pros

Occasional Free Food, Social Events, Training

Cons

Salary, Mistrust between employees, Drama, Job Security

15 March 2019
Thank you for your review!We regret to hear that you did not have a great experience with us. Our belief is to develop and promote from within. We have many examples where a Project Specialist has been developed and promoted to a Project Manager. We have employees who have been with us for over 30 years and many that have retired with us, that speaks volume about job security and job satisfaction.

Great Culture, Great People

This company is the best place I've ever had the pleasure of working. The culture is very team oriented and the owners put a lot of care into making sure that Total Power is a great place to work. The power gen industry is booming and this company is at the top of the market with aggressive goals for growth. As a result, there are lots of opportunities to advance and/or change your career within the company, with new job postings popping up regularly. The people are the best part, everyone is very warm and friendly. It's a very busy pace but the days fly by and you are constantly facing new challenges. If you want to work hard for a great company with some awesome people, then Total Power is the place.

Pros

Great culture, great team of people, lots of career opportunity

Cons

Sometimes you might have to work during a power outage

Generator Service Technician

In a typical day we are always busy, firstly we needed to make sure we have the required parts for the particular job that we have to complete. Mostly we have 2-3 job orders for the day to complete. Secondly we had to plan out how we are going to perform the task and also verify that parts are correct. It is always important that we have the correct equipment before we leave out for the day. If the equipment that was chosen for that particular job was in correct it simple mean it could be a disaster. This happen many times so planning is very important in the performance of your duties. One never stop learning when working with generators. There is always some thing new things to discover. Proper diagnostic and follower proper procedures is very important in the performance of your duties. Communication is also important, firstly with the customers because on many occasions customers either forget that there was an appointment or some times they do not take the time to read the communication that was sent to them. Speaking with your manager on a daily basis is very important because there are many occasion where you need their intervention to resolved issues that is beyond your control so speaking your management team is of paramount importance. Some jobs are easy depending on the work site but there are times when it can be difficult. Some times you have no choice but to walk up flights of stairs with the equipment that is required to get the job done. In these cases you must be physically fit and capable. The most enjoyable part of the job is when -

Pros

Having free lunch is always a good thing

Cons

Don't mind working long hours it can be very beneficial.

15 March 2019
Thank you for your review. We are always looking to improve our processes and procedures so we can be more efficient and accurate. All feedback regarding process updates are welcome!

Awesome place to work

Typical days are very busy but not devoid of a “little fun”. The culture has been developed over time and is a unique sum of many things including our values, behaviours and attitudes. Owners are approachable re work related and personal issues. Social interaction is encouraged through our social committee and the many different events available during the year. Many more positive reasons to work here. Having worked at several companies in the past I can’t see myself working anywhere but Total Power!

Pros

Social activities, friendly employees, warm atmosphere, great owners and so much more.

15 March 2019
Thank you for your review!We are glad to have you as part of our family!

Productive and fun work place

Loved the people and atmosphere! Great training and great company! Loved how it felt like a family not a company. Nice long holidays during Christmas and took care of their employees.

15 March 2019
Thank you for your review!Glad to hear you enjoyed our team and our culture.

Interesting position with alot of opportunity for new experiences

Equipment was lacking Management were bullies Owner of company is a hypocrite Shop was too small for tasks Management would promise training and not fullfill promise Management would ignore OH&S rules Office staff were unskilled in using scheduling program Scheduler omitted vital information for technicians to properly prepare for jobs Contract Advisor quoted jobs without going to site resulting in lost customers Branch Manager scheduled staff for work when staff were on holidays District Manager seemed to have severe mental issues Illegal labour practices Management lied to customers constantly Company overcharged customers

15 March 2019
Thank you for your review and we take your feedback seriously. We are constantly training our employees (both technical and safety) and providing them with the right tools to perform their job. Managers go through a yearlong professional management training program to ensure they know how to coach and communicate with our employees. We pride ourselves in being the best in the business and our prices reflect our quality of service and the investment in our employees. In 2018, we became COR certified in Alberta reflecting our commitment to a safe workplace and safe work practices.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Power Limited. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement