Total Power Limited

Total Power Limited Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
Generator Service Technician
In a typical day we are always busy, firstly we needed to make sure we have the required parts for the particular job that we have to complete. Mostly we have 2-3 job orders for the day to complete. Secondly we had to plan out how we are going to perform the task and also verify that parts are correct. It is always important that we have the correct equipment before we leave out for the day. If the equipment that was chosen for that particular job was in correct it simple mean it could be a disaster. This happen many times so planning is very important in the performance of your duties.

One never stop learning when working with generators. There is always some thing new things to discover. Proper diagnostic and follower proper procedures is very important in the performance of your duties.

Communication is also important, firstly with the customers because on many occasions customers either forget that there was an appointment or some times they do not take the time to read the communication that was sent to them. Speaking with your manager on a daily basis is very important because there are many occasion where you need their intervention to resolved issues that is beyond your control so speaking your management team is of paramount importance.

Some jobs are easy depending on the work site but there are times when it can be difficult. Some times you have no choice but to walk up flights of stairs with the equipment that is required to get the job done. In these cases you must be physically fit and capable.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when
 - more...
Pros
Having free lunch is always a good thing
Cons
Don't mind working long hours it can be very beneficial.
15 March 2019
Thank you for your review.

We are always looking to improve our processes and procedures so we can be more efficient and accurate. All feedback regarding process updates are welcome!
Growing company with tons of potential
After almost two decades in the generator industry and working for several major companies worldwide, the first thing i can say about Total Power is wow what an exciting place to work! From what i hear in the past the company grew quickly and lost some focus, but management listened and made changes, and since i joined a couple of years ago it has been fantastic and I have seen nothing but it going from strength to strength improving all the way. It is busy and fast paced but in todays economy who can complain about that! Hard work and loyalty is rewarded so I wonder if the poor reviews on here were people looking for an easy ride. If you're keen and energetic and looking for somewhere that respects and repays hard work then you wont be disappointed. Management engages and listen to the staff so your voice and opinion will always be heard and i have seen firsthand changes made to satisfy opinion from employees. The company is small enough that everyone is close to someone who can make a difference, small enough to be reactive, but big enough (and getting bigger) to ensure security and a growing presence in the industry. Come join us, we are going places.
Don't waste your time..
At TP everyone is constantly over worked amd they do not care. They have many illegal work practices, and when you say something management will tell you "not talk to other technicians"

Pay is low, training is a joke. They say the have some of the best techs, but I assure you they do not.

Safety is 3rd on their radar after Managment bonuses and profits.
11 May 2020
Thank you for your review. Our employees are the key to our success story and we value their work and treat them with utmost respect. We have employees who have been with us for over 30 years.
We take pride in saying our Technicians are one of the best in the industry. They go through intense training by Generac Certified Trainers and at the Generac factory.

Safety is our number one priority. We will never ask our employees to perform any work they deem unsafe. We have a solid H&S structure in place.

We wish you all the best with your future endeavors.
Rewarding Place to Come to Every Day.
Compared to my previous employers, all of which large global corporations, TPL has by far been the most fulfilling place to work. Supportive senior management, an abundance of training and highly competitive pay. In a fast paced business, within a rapidly growing company, there is no lack of opportunity for those who wish to challenge themselves and expand upon their careers. Come join us if you like winning and actually enjoy your job!
Pros
Family like culture
Great company culture
My manager is focused on my development as an employee. Most days fly by, Generator Technicians get free lunches occasionally, people within the office are very nice and laid back. As long as you fit the culture, which is be nice, driven, and polite, you should fit in no problem. Salary is competitive for my position, only beaten by banks or large corporations. If you are looking for a small company, Total Power is for you.
Managment is a joke
Total power starts out as a great place to work, good benefits, a feeling of security, ownership that seems to care about you as an employee. After time you realize the truth, it's all fake. The most important thing to note about about Total Power is the managers are terrible and ownership couldn't care less.

After putting in many years of hard work travelling and sacrificing home life you get treated with no respect. Problem number 1 is you take a guy who sold cell phones for a living and give him the keys to the castle. You've got a manager who knows nothing about managing people let alone managing a full fledged branch. Under this manager there had been roughly a total of 9 employees who have not been successful working under him. Some of these employees were let go some left by choice but the real fact is most of them had no or poor direction and basically no support and that is the real reason.

If you want to work for a manager that lies, steals and who puts money above safety and company values this is the place. Having a manager that uses company assets for personal gain is fantastic.

After many years of letting the higher up's and the HR department know the problems of what's transpiring, its determined that I'm the issue makes sense right? (Even though almost everyone that has worked for the manager did not suceed).

At the end of the day they will intentionally hold you back , provide you with very little real world training , make you the scapegoat for their failures. You can let ownership and HR know if you have a personal problem and they will
 - more...
Pros
Sometimes free lunch, good benefits
Cons
Work life balace, management, HR deparment Brutal
19 November 2019
Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that you did not have a great experience with us.

Total Power believes in hiring the right people and developing them with the right skills. Our Sudbury branch has always done well and met the company’s expectations. We live and breathe by our company values; one of them is Integrity. We believe in our employees and we know they will always stand by our values.

We take pride in saying our Technicians are one of the best in the industry. They go through intense training by Generac Certified Trainers and also at the Generac factory.

We have been in the business over 60 years and we have a lot of loyal customers. We believe in taking care of them and providing them with extraordinary experience with every interaction.

Passion, Integrity & Culture
If your looking for a company with passion and integrity this is the place for you. Long time employee, never have I been more at home then working at Total Power.

The culture and values the employee’s pride themselves on is incredible. From the passion our technicians put into their work to the collaboration our office staff bring to the table to achieve our goals is amazing. At Total Power your voice counts and you’re not just a number, your family.

Pros
Social Committee Events, Great Group of People, Second Family
Cons
No issues so far.
Great Company; Great Culture
Total Power is a family owned and operated company with just under 200 employees. The culture allows you to concentrate on doing your job and not worry about corporate bureaucracy. Managers are held accountable for staff productivity but more importantly their well being. If you are looking for stability, great pay, and a positive culture that provides growth and challenge then Total Power is the right company for you.
Pros
Positive Culture
Cons
Need to have more locations to work at.
Worked long hrs and no overtime paid to me
I was at total power for a year.i liked all the guys i worked with.yhd owner seemed like a great guy.good benefits.hers the bad and really bad.i was forced to put in sometimes 16 hr shifts.and to my suprise was not paid any overtime.when i brought this up after my paycheque was hundreds short after a 60hr workweek.i was informed that overtime is only paid on billable hrs.so if we are not charging overtime i was expected to drive 16 hrs in a day to not be paid .to get time off instead.also i was on call 24/7 with 2 days off ,one saturday and sunday a month.made nothing extra to do so .was refused overtime constantly.so where was the motivation to do a job like this.also i was forced to haul extremely overweight units thousands of kms.the trailers were over 5 years past government cert.brakes on one 15000lb unit were not working snd down to steel.i was forced to haul it all over ontario with management not careing.if it killed someone id be in jail.they knew i needed a job so i was threarened to haul this deathtrap equipment.so be warned nobody carss about u or youre safety its all about making cash.best thing i did was leave
Pros
Cons
Lots
13 June 2019
Thank you for your review. The nature of our business is providing emergency power solutions and because of the type of business we are in, our Technicians are sometimes required to work long hours. We are very honest and transparent about the hours of work and on-call requirements during the hiring process. Our on-call schedule varies based on the branch and the position. All of our employees are compensated in alignment with the provincial employment standards and we typically exceed the employment standards requirements.

Safety is our number one priority and we ensure all of our employees follow our safety protocols. Our employees are required to conduct pre and post inspection of our vehicles/equipment and report any hazards to their manager. We will never ask our employees to perform any work they deem unsafe.

We wish you all the best with your future endeavors.
Great company with a people focused culture!
Total Power is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. I have grown so much in the last 2 years because of the owners and their management style. The owners genuinely care for you as an individual and will support personal development. I have seen so many internal transfers within the last 2 years to promote employees within. The culture is very people focused and everyone here is a big family. Culture fit is very important for us. It's a home away from home!!
Pros
Personal career development, company sponsored training, flexible work hours, work life balance, social committee, free food
Cons
Nothing, it's been a great experience so far
They take car of their employees.
Fair pay and expectations. Better then any company I have seen. They treat their employees like people and have the best wages and overtime pay. They follow and go beyond labour law. They do their best to keep everyone working.
Pros
Pay, respect, professionalism.
Cons
Mostly service so could be on emergency hours, out of town site work.
Thank you for your review!

Glad to hear you enjoyed working with us.
Total Power Ltd.
Service Quotation and billings for post sales department. Service scheduling in GTA. Billing and creation of work orders. Use of SAP and data system to maintain Customer accounts.
Pros
None.
Cons
Poor Company culture
Thank you for your review!

We believe a great company culture is key to employee satisfaction and retention and we put a lot of effort in improving and maintaining a great culture. We host annual small group meetings with our employees to voice their concerns (owners and employees only, no managers are present), and we conduct annual employee surveys. The results from the meetings and surveys are used to improve our company culture.
High school like enviroment
It is a good company if you are just starting your career. Training was good. Beyond that there is no room for improvement and moving up.

There is too much drama and general mistrust between employees. Like high school there are different groups. Everyone is talking behind each other's back.
Pros
Occasional Free Food, Social Events, Training
Cons
Salary, Mistrust between employees, Drama, Job Security
Thank you for your review!

We regret to hear that you did not have a great experience with us. Our belief is to develop and promote from within. We have many examples where a Project Specialist has been developed and promoted to a Project Manager. We have employees who have been with us for over 30 years and many that have retired with us, that speaks volume about job security and job satisfaction.
Great Culture, Great People
This company is the best place I've ever had the pleasure of working. The culture is very team oriented and the owners put a lot of care into making sure that Total Power is a great place to work. The power gen industry is booming and this company is at the top of the market with aggressive goals for growth. As a result, there are lots of opportunities to advance and/or change your career within the company, with new job postings popping up regularly. The people are the best part, everyone is very warm and friendly. It's a very busy pace but the days fly by and you are constantly facing new challenges. If you want to work hard for a great company with some awesome people, then Total Power is the place.
Pros
Great culture, great team of people, lots of career opportunity
Cons
Sometimes you might have to work during a power outage
15 March 2019
Thank you for your review! We are glad to have you as part of our family!
Awesome place to work
Typical days are very busy but not devoid of a “little fun”.
The culture has been developed over time and is a unique sum of many things including our values, behaviours and attitudes.

Owners are approachable re work related and personal issues.

Social interaction is encouraged through our social committee and the many different events available during the year.

Many more positive reasons to work here.

Having worked at several companies in the past I can’t see myself working anywhere but Total Power!
Pros
Social activities, friendly employees, warm atmosphere, great owners and so much more.
Thank you for your review!

We are glad to have you as part of our family!
Productive and fun work place
Loved the people and atmosphere! Great training and great company! Loved how it felt like a family not a company. Nice long holidays during Christmas and took care of their employees.
Thank you for your review!

Glad to hear you enjoyed our team and our culture.
Interesting position with alot of opportunity for new experiences
Equipment was lacking
Management were bullies

Owner of company is a hypocrite

Shop was too small for tasks

Management would promise training and not fullfill promise

Management would ignore OH&S rules

Office staff were unskilled in using scheduling program

Scheduler omitted vital information for technicians to properly prepare for jobs

Contract Advisor quoted jobs without going to site resulting in lost customers

Branch Manager scheduled staff for work when staff were on holidays

District Manager seemed to have severe mental issues

Illegal labour practices

Management lied to customers constantly

Company overcharged customers
15 March 2019
Thank you for your review and we take your feedback seriously. We are constantly training our employees (both technical and safety) and providing them with the right tools to perform their job. Managers go through a yearlong professional management training program to ensure they know how to coach and communicate with our employees. We pride ourselves in being the best in the business and our prices reflect our quality of service and the investment in our employees. In 2018, we became COR certified in Alberta reflecting our commitment to a safe workplace and safe work practices.
An Unstable & Unorganized Working Environment
Working at Total Power is both a risk and a stress hazard unfortunately. This is mainly in part to the family relations in the company which hold no relation to qualifications in the different departments they work in. The management is poor and misguided, there is no proper structure and people are always willing and ready to put the blame on others rather than working together as a collective when something goes wrong.

Pay is average along with the benefits, nothing that stands out which is bad considering it's a growing and prospering company from the hard work of individuals which usually gets little to no notice. This is not a long term healthy working environment, unless you are family related or can do a good job putting on a fake smile everyday.

This is why the turnover rate is fairly high and they offer such incentives as $1000 referrals for employees that can help seek a successful hire. Usually this results in a co worker's friend or usually family member finding a job which in turns keeps spinning the toxic cycle.

I would not recommend this place, it's very unprofessional and you have to watch your back at all times.
Pros
Lots of free food ocassionally, Hours are straight forward & flexible to days off
Cons
Unstable Working Environment, Untrustworthy Employees, Nepotism
15 March 2019
Thank you for your review.

Our employee turnover rate is tracked, and we are below industry averages. We are very proud that we have several employees (who are not family related to other employees) that have been with us for over 25 years and many that have retired with us.

Since 2016, we have made several changes in our management team to support our growth, plus we’ve had most of them attend a yearlong training program. Our employee survey results confirm we have improved. We also reinforce our values of Passion, Integrity, Achievement and Collaboration and expect our employees to behave in this manner. We are continuing to improve our benefits, policies, and employee recognition programs as we grow.
Working at total power
I really don't have to much bad to say about this company, rather than it grew too big way too fast and lost some it's values along the way. The experience was great, the equipment was easy to work on and its control systems were easy to navigate through. The job was challenging some times which made it enjoyable, it kept you on your toes with new challenges. The management did not play well together, they did not like to share there toys in the sand box. They were not very helpful at times because they were too concerned about holding onto there knowledge like it was a big secret and thought we were out to take there job.
Pros
Great products
Cons
Little pay for what you did.
Thank you for your review!

We understand and appreciate that we continue to be in a strong growth mode and have made some mistakes, however at the same time we know our biggest asset is our employees. Without great employees we will not succeed.

Our managers recently went through a yearlong training program to improve their coaching and development skills along with us adding additional senior management leadership in western Canada.

Our employee survey results have confirmed an improvement in Alberta. In 2016 and 2018 we conducted wage reviews to ensure our compensation is fair and competitive.
Great work, great people.
Travel from generator to generator. Servicing and installing top of the line equipment. Long term employment, great management, good wages/perks. But some emergency calls which should be expected.
Pros
Important work
15 March 2019
Thank you for your review! Glad to hear you enjoyed our team and culture!
Productive place to work, tons of opportunities to learn new things!
Great people to work with all around. Learned a lot of life skills and transferable skills to take to any job in the future.
15 March 2019
Thank you for your review! We invest heavily in developing, training and promoting our employees from within.