Total Power Limited Employee Reviews

Passion, Integrity & Culture
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 June 2019
If your looking for a company with passion and integrity this is the place for you. Long time employee, never have I been more at home then working at Total Power.

The culture and values the employee’s pride themselves on is incredible. From the passion our technicians put into their work to the collaboration our office staff bring to the table to achieve our goals is amazing. At Total Power your voice counts and you’re not just a number, your family.

Pros
Social Committee Events, Great Group of People, Second Family
Cons
No issues so far.
Great Company; Great Culture
Regional Service Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Western Canada10 June 2019
Total Power is a family owned and operated company with just under 200 employees. The culture allows you to concentrate on doing your job and not worry about corporate bureaucracy. Managers are held accountable for staff productivity but more importantly their well being. If you are looking for stability, great pay, and a positive culture that provides growth and challenge then Total Power is the right company for you.
Pros
Positive Culture
Cons
Need to have more locations to work at.
Worked long hrs and no overtime paid to me
Rental tech (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON4 June 2019
I was at total power for a year.i liked all the guys i worked with.yhd owner seemed like a great guy.good benefits.hers the bad and really bad.i was forced to put in sometimes 16 hr shifts.and to my suprise was not paid any overtime.when i brought this up after my paycheque was hundreds short after a 60hr workweek.i was informed that overtime is only paid on billable hrs.so if we are not charging overtime i was expected to drive 16 hrs in a day to not be paid .to get time off instead.also i was on call 24/7 with 2 days off ,one saturday and sunday a month.made nothing extra to do so .was refused overtime constantly.so where was the motivation to do a job like this.also i was forced to haul extremely overweight units thousands of kms.the trailers were over 5 years past government cert.brakes on one 15000lb unit were not working snd down to steel.i was forced to haul it all over ontario with management not careing.if it killed someone id be in jail.they knew i needed a job so i was threarened to haul this deathtrap equipment.so be warned nobody carss about u or youre safety its all about making cash.best thing i did was leave
Pros
Cons
Lots
13 June 2019

Thank you for your review. The nature of our business is providing emergency power solutions and because of the type of business we are in, our Technicians are sometimes required to work long hours. We are very honest and transparent about the hours of work and on-call requirements during the hiring process. Our on-call schedule varies based on the branch and the position. All of our employees are compensated in alignment with the provincial employment standards and we typically exceed the employment standards requirements.

Safety is our number one priority and we ensure all of our employees follow our safety protocols. Our employees are required to conduct pre and post inspection of our vehicles/equipment and report any hazards to their manager. We will never ask our employees to perform any work they deem unsafe.

We wish you all the best with your future endeavors.

Great company with a people focused culture!
Admin (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 April 2019
Total Power is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. I have grown so much in the last 2 years because of the owners and their management style. The owners genuinely care for you as an individual and will support personal development. I have seen so many internal transfers within the last 2 years to promote employees within. The culture is very people focused and everyone here is a big family. Culture fit is very important for us. It's a home away from home!!
Pros
Personal career development, company sponsored training, flexible work hours, work life balance, social committee, free food
Cons
Nothing, it's been a great experience so far
They take car of their employees.
Part time work servicing and maitaining gen-sets (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2019
Fair pay and expectations. Better then any company I have seen. They treat their employees like people and have the best wages and overtime pay. They follow and go beyond labour law. They do their best to keep everyone working.
Pros
Pay, respect, professionalism.
Cons
Mostly service so could be on emergency hours, out of town site work.

Thank you for your review!

Glad to hear you enjoyed working with us.

Total Power Ltd.
Service Administrator-Quotations (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 July 2018
Service Quotation and billings for post sales department. Service scheduling in GTA. Billing and creation of work orders. Use of SAP and data system to maintain Customer accounts.
Pros
None.
Cons
Poor Company culture

Thank you for your review!

We believe a great company culture is key to employee satisfaction and retention and we put a lot of effort in improving and maintaining a great culture. We host annual small group meetings with our employees to voice their concerns (owners and employees only, no managers are present), and we conduct annual employee surveys. The results from the meetings and surveys are used to improve our company culture.

High school like enviroment
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 May 2018
It is a good company if you are just starting your career. Training was good. Beyond that there is no room for improvement and moving up.

There is too much drama and general mistrust between employees. Like high school there are different groups. Everyone is talking behind each other's back.
Pros
Occasional Free Food, Social Events, Training
Cons
Salary, Mistrust between employees, Drama, Job Security

Thank you for your review!

We regret to hear that you did not have a great experience with us. Our belief is to develop and promote from within. We have many examples where a Project Specialist has been developed and promoted to a Project Manager. We have employees who have been with us for over 30 years and many that have retired with us, that speaks volume about job security and job satisfaction.

Great Culture, Great People
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 April 2018
This company is the best place I've ever had the pleasure of working. The culture is very team oriented and the owners put a lot of care into making sure that Total Power is a great place to work. The power gen industry is booming and this company is at the top of the market with aggressive goals for growth. As a result, there are lots of opportunities to advance and/or change your career within the company, with new job postings popping up regularly. The people are the best part, everyone is very warm and friendly. It's a very busy pace but the days fly by and you are constantly facing new challenges. If you want to work hard for a great company with some awesome people, then Total Power is the place.
Pros
Great culture, great team of people, lots of career opportunity
Cons
Sometimes you might have to work during a power outage
15 March 2019

Thank you for your review! We are glad to have you as part of our family!

Awesome place to work
Admin (Current Employee) –  Mississauga9 March 2018
Typical days are very busy but not devoid of a “little fun”.
The culture has been developed over time and is a unique sum of many things including our values, behaviours and attitudes.
Owners are approachable re work related and personal issues.
Social interaction is encouraged through our social committee and the many different events available during the year.
Many more positive reasons to work here.
Having worked at several companies in the past I can’t see myself working anywhere but Total Power!
Pros
Social activities, friendly employees, warm atmosphere, great owners and so much more.

Thank you for your review!

We are glad to have you as part of our family!

Productive and fun work place
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2017
Loved the people and atmosphere! Great training and great company! Loved how it felt like a family not a company. Nice long holidays during Christmas and took care of their employees.

Thank you for your review!

Glad to hear you enjoyed our team and our culture.

Interesting position with alot of opportunity for new experiences
Power Generation Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
Equipment was lacking
Management were bullies
Owner of company is a hypocrite
Shop was too small for tasks
Management would promise training and not fullfill promise
Management would ignore OH&S rules
Office staff were unskilled in using scheduling program
Scheduler omitted vital information for technicians to properly prepare for jobs
Contract Advisor quoted jobs without going to site resulting in lost customers
Branch Manager scheduled staff for work when staff were on holidays
District Manager seemed to have severe mental issues
Illegal labour practices
Management lied to customers constantly
Company overcharged customers
15 March 2019

Thank you for your review and we take your feedback seriously. We are constantly training our employees (both technical and safety) and providing them with the right tools to perform their job. Managers go through a yearlong professional management training program to ensure they know how to coach and communicate with our employees. We pride ourselves in being the best in the business and our prices reflect our quality of service and the investment in our employees. In 2018, we became COR certified in Alberta reflecting our commitment to a safe workplace and safe work practices.

An Unstable & Unorganized Working Environment
Parts Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 March 2016
Working at Total Power is both a risk and a stress hazard unfortunately. This is mainly in part to the family relations in the company which hold no relation to qualifications in the different departments they work in. The management is poor and misguided, there is no proper structure and people are always willing and ready to put the blame on others rather than working together as a collective when something goes wrong.

Pay is average along with the benefits, nothing that stands out which is bad considering it's a growing and prospering company from the hard work of individuals which usually gets little to no notice. This is not a long term healthy working environment, unless you are family related or can do a good job putting on a fake smile everyday.

This is why the turnover rate is fairly high and they offer such incentives as $1000 referrals for employees that can help seek a successful hire. Usually this results in a co worker's friend or usually family member finding a job which in turns keeps spinning the toxic cycle.

I would not recommend this place, it's very unprofessional and you have to watch your back at all times.
Pros
Lots of free food ocassionally, Hours are straight forward & flexible to days off
Cons
Unstable Working Environment, Untrustworthy Employees, Nepotism
15 March 2019

Thank you for your review.

Our employee turnover rate is tracked, and we are below industry averages. We are very proud that we have several employees (who are not family related to other employees) that have been with us for over 25 years and many that have retired with us.

Since 2016, we have made several changes in our management team to support our growth, plus we’ve had most of them attend a yearlong training program. Our employee survey results confirm we have improved. We also reinforce our values of Passion, Integrity, Achievement and Collaboration and expect our employees to behave in this manner. We are continuing to improve our benefits, policies, and employee recognition programs as we grow.

Working at total power
Generator Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2015
I really don't have to much bad to say about this company, rather than it grew too big way too fast and lost some it's values along the way. The experience was great, the equipment was easy to work on and its control systems were easy to navigate through. The job was challenging some times which made it enjoyable, it kept you on your toes with new challenges. The management did not play well together, they did not like to share there toys in the sand box. They were not very helpful at times because they were too concerned about holding onto there knowledge like it was a big secret and thought we were out to take there job.
Pros
Great products
Cons
Little pay for what you did.

Thank you for your review!

We understand and appreciate that we continue to be in a strong growth mode and have made some mistakes, however at the same time we know our biggest asset is our employees. Without great employees we will not succeed.

Our managers recently went through a yearlong training program to improve their coaching and development skills along with us adding additional senior management leadership in western Canada.

Our employee survey results have confirmed an improvement in Alberta. In 2016 and 2018 we conducted wage reviews to ensure our compensation is fair and competitive.

Great work, great people.
Part time work servicing and maitaining gen-sets (Former Employee) –  Calgary30 September 2014
Travel from generator to generator. Servicing and installing top of the line equipment. Long term employment, great management, good wages/perks. But some emergency calls which should be expected.
Pros
Important work
15 March 2019

Thank you for your review! Glad to hear you enjoyed our team and culture!

Productive place to work, tons of opportunities to learn new things!
Field Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2014
Great people to work with all around. Learned a lot of life skills and transferable skills to take to any job in the future.
15 March 2019

Thank you for your review! We invest heavily in developing, training and promoting our employees from within.

Broadened shop skills including fabrication, metal work, mechanical work and electrical wiring/ systems
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 June 2012
Was a job that changed day to day and had multiple projects being completed on the run. The jobs varied from modifying factory generators to meet CSA 282 standards, to building custom generators catered to customer demand as well as rebuild/update jobs. My work varied from sheet metal fabrication, cutting/welding/drilling frames, wiring varying voltage systems as well as testing and troubleshooting (all inspected or supervised by a licensed electrician), various engine work. Everything that was to be fabricated included engineering drawings to follow(as prescribed by the engineer), as well as on the run modifications in order to ensure that the final product fits and works correctly. Regular shop safety and work area cleanliness were a must.
15 March 2019

Thank you for your review and a detailed description of the role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Power Limited. Our community is ready to answer.

Total Power Limited Reviews by Location