Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Employee Reviews

Canada47 reviews

Great way to work and enjoy the outdoors

Many different tasks are assigned to you and you learn a lot of new skills working here. They hire a lot os students for the summer with an opportunity to come back the next year.

A competitive and positive work environment

Great entry level position to getting your foot into the Conservation industry. All of the full time staff love their jobs here and are keen to share their knowledge and expertise with the seasonal staff. Plenty of opportunity to move up or gain great outdoor skills if you prove to be keen, forward thinking, team player with great listening and communication skills.

Pros

Decent pay and room for advancement

Cons

short term contracts, intense work season

One if the worst employers

Complete ineptitude from the top, I.e. CFOO went on a call-in radio show for employment law advice on how he could force people working from home (to date this had been working extremely well) during COVID to return to the office and if they refused, could he fire them.

Pros

Regular employees are there for the right reasons

Cons

Senior leadership are sociopaths

Enthusiastic Team Environment

TRCA gave me the opportunity to continue to develop my skills in species identification and discover what my body was really capable of. In a physically demanding job as a tree planter, I learned what tree and shrub species grow best in certain conditions and habitats, as well as remediation efforts necessary for wildlife conservation. Everyone is kind, patient and encouraging during every step of the way. Pushing past physical limitations was the hardest, but most rewarding part of the job. I am pleased to have had the opportunity to work here and make life-long friends along the way.

Pros

Working in nature everyday

Cons

Some non-mandatory overtime

Decent Part-Time, Very Unrewarding

My experience is based from Albion Hills (4 year experience) Overall, the best part about the job is that each day you're more likely than not doing something different than the last, although most is routine. This keeps it somewhat interesting with the addition of physical demands outside in varying whether conditions. There is a relatively close connection between coworkers and that makes the day alot better, with some of my close friends being coworkers. Aside from those mentioned above, there is nothing rewarding about this job. I initially came in motivated and hard working but after 3 years this all seemed for nothing. There is NO clear opportunity for advancement and you do not receive any raise or benefit for staying with the company, which in turn is very demoralizing and this issue does not at all seem to be any concern to the managers/supervisor. In addition, the facilities staff operate from are old and worn. Countless amounts of mold and other safety hazards are present and this seems to be overlooked and then covered up only when a safety inspector comes in. Proper PPE (N95) or cleaning equipment is not provided when dealing with mold-related tasks or shower scrubbing in washrooms where toxins are prevalent, with most being worn out or just barely unusable. There is one boss at this park who rarely shows respect to you unless they just 'like' you, often being sexist and very rude which affects your attitude in the work place. Overall, I would recommend working here part-time for a summer but NOT any longer.

Great coworkers, out-of-touch management

The individuals on my team were lovely, hard-working people. They were the highlight of the job as we were there to support each other. However, this was often overshadowed by the shortcomings of the higher-up staff. They were often out of touch with the day-to-day operations of their sites, leaving the staff short-handed and lacking in resources. It always felt as though revenue and the "bottom line" were far more important than creating an environment that allowed us to effectively run a program. There was also little to no opportunity for advancement.

Dishonest no fair chance of advancement

They are highly selective and biased when it comes to hiring or promoting for the senior-level positions. A look into their current list of senior staff will tell the rest of the story.

Pros

Relaxed environment

Cons

No transparency and advancement

Productive and fun workplace

Working Under TRCA you experience a lot of different customers, but every day is fun and you are treated well by not only your coworkers, but also your leaders.

Good field work experience

Got to be in the field most days (weather permitting) collecting field data like fisheries survey, benthic sampling, water sampling, etc. Really useful field work that can help you advance your career later on

Productive and collaborative place to work

Workplace culture is great, easy-going staff and everybody is willing to help you settle in. The work-life balance is great as you work 35 hours per week.

Intern

Awful place to intern, learned nothing. its also "volunteer" which was bull. You basically sit there looking at a blank computer screen all day. Would love to work there in a larger capacity

Good Field Positions

Excellent work environment. I had an excellent understanding supervisor and teammate around me. Gave me space to make individual projects to improve fieldwork

Was an alright place to work

Was a great place to work on a lot of interesting projects. The staff was mostly educated and people felt good about the work they were doing. Great place to work.

Going downhill

This used to be a great place to work, Unfortunately, things have changed and the loss of many good employees isn't as a result of change. People can handle change, even if they hate it. Being manipulative, nontransparent, but saying you want to be transparent, are not the qualities of great leaders. New management has taken the bull by the horns and have forgotten that it's human beings that work here. People have lives, people have feelings, people want to feel important by making positive contributions but when every single idea or attempt at making things better is squashed, you start thinking of going somewhere where your talent is valued and appreciated.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Horrible senior management and CEO

Good but hard

I was a volunteer for Toronto and Region Conservation Authority for one day and it was a lot of work. I assisted in plating and preparing planting beds.

Poor HR Practices

I do not have many good things to say about this place, that is why I am moving on. This company hides details in their contract. I have many disputes with HR and cannot elaborate. I am moving on since I am very unhappy here

Pros

Good Mission Statement

Cons

Human Resources Practices

good summer job

good for experiencing much of what the work force had to offer new jobs every day from cleaning bathrooms to cutting grass and good people to work with it was a nice experience

Great Student Job

This was my first job as a teenager and I learned many skills and lots about myself. I feel I became a better person and would recommend this workplace to anyone especially students looking for a first job

Secure & Comfortable Environment

This is a safe and secure work environment with a low stress feel. However the higher up management (CFO) is not considerate of the staff below at all. This seems to be a recent and rising issue with the corporation. However aside from this, all other aspects of the workplace are great. Direct managers are understanding and provide employees with the necessary encouragement and support they need to be successful.

Pros

Decent hours, great management

Cons

No HR, poor communication from CFO to employees

Good Volunteering Experience

I volunteered at TRCA / CYC for 5 days. it was a good experience for learning about preserving the environment as well as learning about nature (invasive species and the such)

Excellent work culture and performing as an able regulatory authority

An excellent work culture with good Job Work/Life Balance and good Salary/Benefits. A very inspiring office atmosphere and environment. Very methodical work approach.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto and Region Conservation Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement