Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Employee Reviews

Canada42 reviews
Great way to work and enjoy the outdoors
Many different tasks are assigned to you and you learn a lot of new skills working here. They hire a lot os students for the summer with an opportunity to come back the next year.
Productive and fun workplace
Working Under TRCA you experience a lot of different customers, but every day is fun and you are treated well by not only your coworkers, but also your leaders.
Good field work experience
Got to be in the field most days (weather permitting) collecting field data like fisheries survey, benthic sampling, water sampling, etc. Really useful field work that can help you advance your career later on
Productive and collaborative place to work
Workplace culture is great, easy-going staff and everybody is willing to help you settle in. The work-life balance is great as you work 35 hours per week.
Intern
Awful place to intern, learned nothing. its also "volunteer" which was bull. You basically sit there looking at a blank computer screen all day. Would love to work there in a larger capacity
Was once a wonderful place to work not anymore
I loved it there for several years. I felt valued and my work appreciated. All that changed when the new CEO arrived. What was a great culture turned ugly. Fear dominates and a top-down rule exist now, with people afraid constantly. Now it's a place where negativity, cronyism and even hiring your mistress is considered allowable actions. Stay clear.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management, favoritism, culture of fear.
Good Field Positions
Excellent work environment. I had an excellent understanding supervisor and teammate around me. Gave me space to make individual projects to improve fieldwork
Was an alright place to work
Was a great place to work on a lot of interesting projects. The staff was mostly educated and people felt good about the work they were doing. Great place to work.
Going downhill
This used to be a great place to work, Unfortunately, things have changed and the loss of many good employees isn't as a result of change. People can handle change, even if they hate it. Being manipulative, nontransparent, but saying you want to be transparent, are not the qualities of great leaders. New management has taken the bull by the horns and have forgotten that it's human beings that work here. People have lives, people have feelings, people want to feel important by making positive contributions but when every single idea or attempt at making things better is squashed, you start thinking of going somewhere where your talent is valued and appreciated.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Horrible senior management and CEO
Good but hard
I was a volunteer for Toronto and Region Conservation Authority for one day and it was a lot of work. I assisted in plating and preparing planting beds.
Poor HR Practices
I do not have many good things to say about this place, that is why I am moving on.
This company hides details in their contract. I have many disputes with HR and cannot elaborate. I am moving on since I am very unhappy here
Pros
Good Mission Statement
Cons
Human Resources Practices
good summer job
good for experiencing much of what the work force had to offer new jobs every day from cleaning bathrooms to cutting grass and good people to work with it was a nice experience
Great Student Job
This was my first job as a teenager and I learned many skills and lots about myself. I feel I became a better person and would recommend this workplace to anyone especially students looking for a first job
Secure & Comfortable Environment
This is a safe and secure work environment with a low stress feel. However the higher up management (CFO) is not considerate of the staff below at all. This seems to be a recent and rising issue with the corporation. However aside from this, all other aspects of the workplace are great. Direct managers are understanding and provide employees with the necessary encouragement and support they need to be successful.
Pros
Decent hours, great management
Cons
No HR, poor communication from CFO to employees
Good Volunteering Experience
I volunteered at TRCA / CYC for 5 days. it was a good experience for learning about preserving the environment as well as learning about nature (invasive species and the such)
Excellent work culture and performing as an able regulatory authority
An excellent work culture with good Job Work/Life Balance and good Salary/Benefits. A very inspiring office atmosphere and environment. Very methodical work approach.
Good introductory position
This is a good position to begin your working experience within the museum sector but there is little chance for advancement and the position is extremely unstable. Does not support a livelihood.
Good for a part-time job
Great environment with a great staff to go along with it. Not too challenging, but can chaotic depending on the amount of customers coming in. Over all, it was a good place to work while I was still a student.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Only part-time
Was just volunteering
There was no pay, it was just volunteer work. They were fun and enjoyable to work with. Worked only in my local area, and had a fun time help the farming community.
Great job for fresh out of college or young stepping stone. No advancement though
Very poor management. Hard to move up for advancement in the TRCA. Great labours to work with,all great,friendly people and easy to get along with and to work as a team.
Pros
awesome labours to work with
Cons
poor management.
TRCA is a regulatory organization of Ontario Government
It is an excellent organization providing high caliber regulatory services to proponents/developers to ensure that the development is planned according to principles of sustainable development.
Pros
Excellent work culture and environment
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto and Region Conservation Authority. Our community is ready to answer.