Toronto Zoo

Toronto Zoo Employee Reviews

Canada59 reviews
It is fun to work with the animals and caring staff, the grounds provide a relaxing backdrop to any stresses in the day, it is a very adventurous job with lots of work outdoors
management will never discipline anyone. meet some nice people. If you don't stand up for yourself no one will. Seasonal cashier, no job security. Fun during the summer when it's busy, lots of young highschool kids in the department.
Pros
seasonal, nice people, cool place, outdoors
Cons
long hours, stressful days, high pressure, low communication, rude people, no discipline
Worked at the Zoo for one summer and would never go back. The management is completely disorganized. Safety and co-worker issues were brushed off and not dealt with despite repeated issues.
I recently did my Veterinary Technician Co-op with the Toronto Zoo. I loved every moment of it. The staff are all lovely, helpful, knowledgeable and above all, they care very deeply about what they do. The animals get the greatest of care, from food preparation to finding new enrichment, there is always work being done and something to learn.
I loved every second of working at the zoo. I was only there for a summer but it was the best summer of my life. Management was helpful and respectful, other staff were kind and inviting. The whole experiences sticks out to me as one of the best jobs I’ve ever had.
You'll definitely get your 40hrs. And if you're lucky you'll meet really great people to work with, because having friends will make all the other less than stellar management and work worth it. Comfort in solidarity. It was a good way to make money, but my last summer there, I had enough and quit early. They tried to convince me to stay, but I had some dignity. There's a lot I'm willing to put up with, but degrading and incompetent management (not to mention the CFO of the company at the time)...well, I didn't need any more money. Point is, it's find if you have some support, there were some great people in my department and there was a yearly $1 raise incentive for every summer you came back.
Pros
Steady Hours, Could meet some cool people
Cons
Everything else
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at the Toronto zoo, I remained friends with many of my coworkers and they were lovely company it made the job a lot of fun. They took a chance on a high school kid and I am really grateful for the opportunity I would recommend applying for anyone in high school. Hours are flexible and fair and the salary was good.
Employed from 2001 to 2013
Worked initially in Custodial then moved to Animal Care to work as a zookeeper caring for the animals in the zoo's collection
Would love to have worked here full time. While there is no conspicuous oath from volunteering to employment opportunity, it is non the less a great place to gain experience in working with animals and people that love them
A great environment with amazing individuals. Job itself allows you to grow as a person, develop people skills, and is highly enjoyable, Hours are however unreliable and tend to be draining during peak season. Sometimes unpleasant to work under bad weather conditions.
Pros
Free admission and deals to attractions in Toronto, Fun environment, Laid-back co-workers
Cons
Unreliable hours, weather conditions affect work, sometimes put in bad weather conditions
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Toronto Zoo?
i volunteered at the zoo it was fun i got to see a lot of animals and my job was to providing the visitor what they need, it wasn't that hard to be honest.it was fun
An extremely corrosive atmosphere. Corruption to hide and bury the most egregious violations is encouraged from within the upper most managerial staff and flows down stream gaining momentum with supervisory staff. One would be ill advised to gain employment in skilled trades here unless you have zero morals and not a care about dishonesty.
Pros
Do not outway the cons
Cons
A leadership that is hard set on making the workers suffer.
Management are literally children. Hours are sporadic, you are expected to give a full day availability and you won't even be scheduled everyday. Maximum you get is 2 shifts a week, each shift is 5 hours. Management, the "multi-unit controller" is a joke. He loves insulting staff and talking behind their backs.
Professional colleagues. Nice, supportive and friendly staff and atmosphere. Many opportunities to learn. The supervisors help you grow professionally. Free visits to the zoo is a big pro.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
short term contract jobs
When we went to the toronto zoo I was asked to help out with the red panda exhibit by helping clean the enclosure getting it ready for them e.g getting food ready fresh water.
Pros
Got to walk around the zoo all day
Cons
No other jobs to be done
Since I have a volunteering position, there is no salary, but you get rewarded when you improve a guest's day, either by giving them directions or helping a child (or even an adult) learn about conservation. I would highly recommend volunteering here to anyone!
Pros
Free admission
Cons
Hard to get shifts since there are a lot of volunteers already.
bad experience with office staff but workers are a great bunch to work with union is superb but management not so much very deceptive and dishonest
The work area is very clean, well taken care of, well put together. The itself is beautiful. Very god experience working there. 10/10. Very amazing experience.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Breaks are terrible, usually get sent home after working 3 hours and you're doing more work than you should be paid for. Other than that though it's not bad, the benefits are pretty cool with benefits reaching all the way to free U.S zoo admissions.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
doing surveys, unreliable hours
Busy day almost everyday. Learned that i shouldn't work fast food anymore. Terrible Management, Hardest Part of the Job dealing with the low stock food. Nothing enjoyable
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Terrible Management
Working here was fun because you get to meet new people who are all friendly (including the supervisors), you're able to talk with other co-workers with breeze and it's fun helping out costumers!
Pros
50% off every purchase
Cons
Standing all day in the heat