Toronto Wildlife Centre

Toronto Wildlife Centre Employee Reviews

Canada4 reviews
All the staff and volunteers are dedicated and inspiring. It was a very memorable time in my life to have worked for them and hopefully help make a difference. General Support is a "dirty" job, physically demanding, and can be isolating - the reward is seeing the difference you can make.
I started off volunteering here back in high school, and continue for three years until I got hired. While being here I really enjoyed it. I have volunteered in almost every department. My main department I volunteered in was the wildlife care, I really enjoyed this department, you get to see all the animals in the centre. I have also volunteered in nursery, which can be very stressful at times and the hotline, which is very stressful. I have also helped out in with the rescue team, this department to me is very interesting. The department I worked in was general support, which can be kinda boring at times but still fun. Most of the staff have been hired from within the company as previous volunteers or interns. There does seem to be a high turn over of staff and even volunteers though, otherwise everyone gets along and are friends. Depending on department hours can vary for 8-10 plus over time of 2-4, everyone but management gets paid minimum wage. There is a bit of a problem with management picking favorites. Towards the end of my time here the building TWC is located in has gotten in worst shape, there is a problem with mice/rats and roaches. After every rain storm the building will flood, some of the cages/enclosures need a lot of repairs.
Pros
helping animals, meeting some great people
Cons
long hours/over time, building falling apart, stressful during the summer
Great workplace. I learn a learn how to handle, feed and take care of animals. The managers were friendly and always helpful with everything I need it. overall is a place that gives me the experience and confidence to work with animals
Great atmosphere with lots of thing to learn about and see. Lot of animals to help and many new friends to make on the way (lots of volunteers each summer).
Pros
gain knowledge
Cons
far drive for some