Toronto Transit Commission
Coronavirus update
Information from Toronto Transit Commission:

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

Canada334 reviews
Working at the TTC for 38 years was enjoyable. I was responsible for fare media distribution to the network businesses. I have learned most of my customer skills and how to supervise a union workforce. Management was the best easy to get along with and to work for over the years. Hardest part was dealing with union employees. The most enjoyable part was meeting all the different people over the years.
With today’s workforce being unstable, unpredictable, and not knowing if there’s anything at the end of your career when you spend most of your adult life somewhere it is unbelievable that after 30 years of service you will have a pension to reward your time , other than that being an incentive to choose an employer,at the T.T.C you can better your skills in just about any field they have, for example if you wanted to be a plumber and decide to go to school they have plumbing department, electrical,welding etc... if you like to get into management part of the workforce they will instruct and train you to do so. I loved what I did there took pride in my work and don’t regret a minute I spent there.
The work was great but when it comes to office it lacked proper communication. I worked as a escalator mechanic went to school for millwright at Goerge Brown College. My job was doing maintenance on all sorts of escalators and rebuilding parts.
Pros
Unfair injury practices
Cons
Its a life long job
Met a lot of people made a nice living but never promoted to where I should have been for my achievements with the company for 30 years!!!!
Learned great values of life working at wheel trans.HOW LUCKY WE ARE TO HAVE OUR HEALTH.
It was a short duration of time that I worked at TTC but enjoyed it nevertheless. I was assisting the purchase coordinator with placing orders, filing and clerical duties.
There was a senior Architect in charge of the project was not really senior! and a Design architect for managing the technologists but was not knowledgeable and asking me to ask other technologists what to do! Apparently, they were hired as of the OAA license only, no enough experience and knowledge in the field of transit or architecture.
The chief architect was not involved to see what happens between them and technologists.
I worked there as a customer service representative
I experience face to face interaction with many different people and feel very comfortable and confidence to speak in public Its relieve the fear of speak in public.
If you're willing to sacrifice your quality of life and you want to do it just for the money, then I guess this employer is for you. It can be extremely stressful, tiring, you normally get hired to work nights. The management team.is under pressure to fulfill the expectations that are laid on them and take it out on employees.
Worked there for close to 5 years and salary is great. There is a lot of opportunities for growth. You can move to IT to accounting or event supervisory positions.
The TTC has provided so much for myself and my Family and the tens of thousands before me.
I spent 30 + 1 month then I retired.

But during those years there were many changes...for the better, but some would argue that.

I Thank the TTC Whole Heartedly for all the opportunities it given me.

Great Place to Work.

career advancement

work timings

good upper management

excellent training programs
TTC is one of the best company i've worked for and the last I'll work for until retirement. Every department is different and of course they'll have guys who have certain ways of doing stuff and thinking which can make for some bad shifts. People who deal directly with the public has it rough as Toronto has a lot of special characters but, where else can you make $100,000+ a year with pension and benefits driving a bus? As for myself, a skill trades worker, The job is less demanding compare to any other company i've worked with. Always have more than needed man power for jobs. Work here and you'll never break a sweat.
Culture varies from department to department. On the whole, people trying to with good ethics and focus on deliverables. Comfortable relationships with colleagues. Compassionate organization. Work gives a feeling of pride to contribute to the transit in Toronto and keep the city moving.

Difficult to implement change or efficiency due to government involvement. Not much support for initiatives. Don't rock the boat culture.

Office location and building very inconvenient and dismal. Building not fit for occupancy.
work from 10.30 at night till 7 in the morning .. get roll call at 11.....11.30 go to workcar make sure its cleaned off from the night befor load up for shift .. then wait till service is over drive workcar to job location get a power cut go to track level around 3 start and complete job by 5....5.30 go back to the yard and by 7 get another roll call then go home
Would love to work back here as I worked as a student years ago and it was a great workplace to work in at all times with great competitive wages and benefits!
It is a pleasant place to work I feel happy helping people who travel daily in the TTC our duty is also to maintain safety in all TTC stations Payment is good and shifts are very flexible.
Front Desk position was manageable, all-though it was a temporary hire, was treated like one. Lack of access to resources/places, no intention of allowing one to advance or grow within the workplace. Was hard to find motivation to keep progressing
Pros
consistent hours, safe workplace
Cons
lack of tasks, no room to grow
Punctuality is a must, but give extra time. Smile and don't fight the customers
Benefits
Cons
No time for family due to some schedules
After being here for 11 years, the culture has changed and Not for the better......
The company likes to fire ppl for the simplest of reasons.... Management is not reasonable in there approach to discipline employees.. We are just an employee number to them. Be cautious in what you do on, and off the job!!!
Pros
Gteat pay, benifits, and pension...
Cons
Lact of respect by management, general public!!!
- Amazing time serving the customers
- excellent supervisors and officers

- motivated staff
Its a great stable job, not much pressure. Once you get past the initial probation period, its doesn't have that much pressure. The pressure and expectations are more lenient that private sector. Its a great stable job, and people normally stay long enough to retire with TTC.

The problem is there is not much development going on in IT. Its a much more reactive than a proactive management system. There are lots of immediate bug fixes, and not enough long term strategy. There is very little training or certifications.
Pros
not much overtime or work
Cons
poor work culture
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Transit Commission. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4