Toronto Transit Commission Management reviews

Low morale
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2019
A common refrain amongst operators (buses, streetcars, subway) is..they spend 5 weeks training you and the next 30 years trying to fire you.....That speaks volumes about the work environment and the morale of the front line operators.
In general there is a feeling of them against us in regards to management and frontline employees. From my own experience the relationship is quite adversarial. It seems management is spending more time trying to catch you doing something wrong then it is trying to help you with your job.
Support is almost nonexistent. Even when you get a P1, the management is more concerned with covering their own behind than looking after you.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, excellent pension.
Cons
Excellent pension IF you can survive 30 years, Terrible hours, Stressful work environment, management attitude
TTC should be a private company.
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2019
TTC should be a private company. It has too many incompetent people that are not able to do their job properly. Big projects at TTC are frequently failing.
Pros
Good hourly rate
Cons
Not your regular company to work for
Signals (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2019
The TTC is very old school with a lot of practices and policies; however, it's among one of the greatest company I've worked for. A lot of down time and slower pace of work. Management can sometimes be annoying but, it's mostly the person who's trying to impress their upper boss by slave driving regular workers to get an impressive amount of work done. A lot of opportunity within the TTC. The pay is okay but, after all the deductions, pension,benefits, etc...it needs to be raise to a higher wage. Shift work will take couple years off your life.
Pros
Great job and atmosphere
Cons
Shift work
Great place to work with diverse co-workers
Vault Custodian (Former Employee) –  Revenue Operations31 January 2019
It takes serval years to get day work, long hours with excellent wages Management would rather work with you to solve any issues that might arise. If you like to meet a vast variety of people than this is defenantly the place to work.
Pros
Everyday is different
Cons
Hours, split shifts, night work
Great company to work for
TRANSIT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2019
Check the bus making sure it is safe for the road before going into service. take passengers from point A to point B safely. Management is fair. Workplace culture friendly and funny. Hardest part of the job aggressive passengers.
Pros
salary and benefits
Very stressful environment
Subway Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2019
Good

Pay, benefits, good pension and people you work with

Bad

Very stressful,
Various hours and days off
You have to book your vacations
a year in advance
Constantly being harassed by either the customers
or management
Very poor moral
The best company to work for
Signal technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2018
Because it's a public company, there's not a lot of micro management or, competition between co workers. Everyone is very welcoming and the job is pretty relaxing unless it's an emergency call. Co workers are good people and it's a slower pace of work. Safety is a hugeeee must, don't work if you're not wearking any PPE. Job security, pension, pay, benefits are good. They take care of their employees.
Pros
Job security, pension, benefits, advancement
Cons
Benefits package could be better
Money talks..
Buses/Subway (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2018
If it wasn't for the pay, benefits and most importantly the pension, no one would do this job.
Long hours, terrible shifts, stressful work environment, micromanaged and as contrary as it sounds, no management support.
At the TTC you are just a number. Through your entire career you will be defined by your badge number as everything is based on seniority. As a new hire you will get the worst shifts. Expect no family life, no personal life, no stat holidays for at least 5-6 years if you are lucky. Don't expect regular weekends off until you get to at least 15-20yrs. Worst are the split shifts. 4 on, 4off, 4on. That's a 12hr day but you get paid for 8.
An example: I would report at Cowell at 4:30am. Take the blue light bus to Kipling to take the train out at 5:40am. Will be on the line until 9:40am and have a split until 1:40pm. 1:40pm to 6pm on the line again. That is a long day and you don't get paid for all of it. You get paid only when you are operating
Another downside is customer abuse. Worst for bus and streetcar operators. By the time help gets to you, the person is gone. Last time I had an incident, the management response was " with your experience, you should have been more aware of your environment." Someone swung a skateboard at my head when I stuck it out to check the platform when opening/closing the doors FFS!! Plus if we don't do that, we get written up and suspended.
That was the straw that broke the camels back for me.
After 10years I have had enough. Missed too much of my kids' life. My wife was basically a single mom.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, split shifts, no weekends, micromanaged
Pretty fair company
Signal Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2018
On average it took me 4 years of applying before I got in, around the same number of years it took for my co workers also. Nepotism doesn't exist here as the public thinks or, say. Very tight group of co-workers who teach younger apprentice, a lot of old school workers here too. Job security, Advancements, Pay, Benefits and, pension are attractive. It's a seniority system for when it comes to bidding on jobs so, starting here in your 20's is guarantee a spot in upper management by the time you're in your 40's. Everything here is by the books and nothing really gets pushed under the table as the union for TTC is very strong. Most of the bad reviews here are from operators because it takes a lot of patients dealing with the public sometime and not everyone has it.
Pros
Good environment, friendly people all around
Cons
Shift work
TTC Wheel Trans is a good place to work for
Senior Project Controls / Planner & Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Head office19 October 2018
Wheel Trans has an amazing team of professionals and is a fantastic environment to work in, however, the IT department suffers from a management in disarray.
no fun
Collector and Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2018
as wz indicated in earlier comments you really are just a number. And they do look for every reason to fire you, unless you are management. Don;t ruffle management it's a click you can't penetrate. They do whatever they want. They don't have to follow the rules only the lay staff has to follow the rules. Only thing good is the benefits and money. But you will have absolutely no life. No holidays with family and friends and not stats holidays. you will be working. the days are very long and this company owns you even when you are not working they are trying to dicate your life. its a rough road unless you are willinng to give up a lot and get very little in return for a very long time
Pros
the money and benefits
Cons
long hours, no family time, no work/life balance. low moral
if it wasn't for the salary no one in their right mind would work there
Professional Transportation Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2018
Worst place I ever worked! They hire you and train you and then try everything in their power to fire you! You are just a number to them, say goodbye to all your friends and lots of family as you won't see them again for many years. Forget about attending weddings or funerals and don't even think you can attend a birthday party unless it's on a Tuesday or a Wednesday!
Pros
salary
Cons
everything else
Ability to choose hours with seniority
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
Never a dull moment, something new everyday, no management hovering over you, ability to choose hours with seniority, interesting staff and customers,
good
Senior Program Control Officer, Business Systems (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2018
is a very.nice company to work for. Management is nice and helpful as well as my coworkers. I have enjoyed working at ttc for the short time I have been there. Only complaint I have is the pay rate. Little pay for taking care of little people all day. Pros. fun place to work. Cons. low pay. Was this review helpful?
Fast paced
Streetcar Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On29 March 2018
Good front line job with a gov't subsidized company. Be ready for lots of overtime, and rude people (riding public). Management are usually former operators, but it seems like they forgot what it was like to be in the seat of an operator. Union at the time was good, but has apparently gone downhill. Very easy to find yourself in trouble if you don't cover your every action without union representation.
Nice
(TTC) - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Throughout GTA7 February 2018
TTC was provided a decent work environment. Hours are okay, pay is good, and the management is somewhat tolerable. I wouldn't say this job is for your typical worker.
Pros
Breaks, PayL
Cons
Long hours, no job advancement
Bus Operator
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Wilson Division25 January 2018
18 months in, assaulted physically 4 times of my last 6 months, made reports within Transit, nothing to claim after seeing my Dr. diagnosed with P.T.S.D, in claims of time off through W.S.I.B. Transit claims they have no documents pertaining to my claim to W.S.I.B.

Management is a fkning joke at Wilson Division. They are puppets who act like their someone but overall lack the intelligence of their position. Same goes with the Stupidvisors.. most not all, but most are SLOW, Fat and Lazy and pass the buck on to each other when taking care of matters.. they do not like filing or reporting or doing their job.

I only give Kudos to the Drivers and Wicket guys.. that's it, they work hard! Its a tuff skin job.. but when nothing is done about claims of assault, you gotta ask yourself.. am I going to do this for the next 25 years for a company who doesn't have your back? Your just another #.. that's it! replacable
Pros
Benefits and wages
Cons
The General Public are MOFO's to you just for wearing the Uniform, Supervisory Staff are shi8, The Union is Shi8, Your Shop Stewards are a bunch of Stu's.
Harrassments are not taken seriously
Station Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2018
Non-Union Harassment and discriminators are disguised as Managerial discretion. Human Rights and Employee Relations departments need to be outsource, independent and off site.
Union related issues are not represented properly as Union and Management are no longer separate.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Have to sacrifice integerity to be accepted into the culture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2018
This has to got be one of the best places I've worked. The staff and management are all so kind and helpful and there's so much opportunity to learn and grow. The pay and benefits are also great.
tough when starting out
Station Collector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2017
very challenging, lack of help, pressure always very immense from management.
On your own, not much support to understand how the operation runs.
Technology and communication to employs needs to be better very outdated way of doing business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Transit Commission. Our community is ready to answer.

Toronto Transit Commission Reviews by Location