Toronto Transit Commission
Information from Toronto Transit Commission:

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews for Streetcar Operator

Streetcar Operator6 reviews
Canada6 reviews
You are just a number to them. you can be the best at what you do and not be recognized for your efforts. Say goodbye to your family and friends work hours are not what you expect
Pros
benifits/pay
Cons
terrible hours for new hires
Get used to being a number. Your name on the job if your a driver talking to in house supervisors thst run the line is one run or two run or 10 run . Never called by name. If you can get used to being called that all day then i guess you will do ok.
I’ve been a Streetcar operator for 4 months but I had to throw in the towel because it took over my life. There is no work life balance. You do shift work and they start you off on spare board where you have to call at 5pm the day before to know what time you’re working. It is hard to make plans outside of work. You are forced to work weekends and holidays. You sit all day and you have no set routine so it’s easy to gain weight on this job. It is a very mundane job. Doing the same thing over and over again making the days feel super long. The other operators are mostly negative and is a toxic environment. People sleep in the division because they are sleep deprived. You start off with $26/ hr but you have many deductions and end up with a small pay cheque. The training was so intense. People were told to quit their job and fully commit to the training. They ended up firing half the people in my class for minor mistakes. You are constantly in fear of losing your job. You are at high risk. People run out of nowhere and it is hard to stop the street car when the rails are slippery. If you lose ground or something happens with the overhead, you risk getting electrocuted with 600 volts. If you don’t follow proper procedure, you can be liable for the 200+ people’s life’s. This job is totally not worth it in my option.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, blah blah blah
Cons
Horrible hours, no work life balance, toxic environment
Good front line job with a gov't subsidized company. Be ready for lots of overtime, and rude people (riding public). Management are usually former operators, but it seems like they forgot what it was like to be in the seat of an operator. Union at the time was good, but has apparently gone downhill. Very easy to find yourself in trouble if you don't cover your every action without union representation.
As an operator you are under a lot of stress from management and customers that you meet on a day to day basis. Being in the driver's for long hours at a time can take a toll on your body.
Pros
Good Compensation for duties
Cons
Long hours, Physical and mentally demanding
I would usually get into work an hour early ,so to relax make out my paperwork for the day then i would go out to the yard and inspect my streetcar for safety and any defects before taking it out into service.Then leaving on time as per schedule and did my best to keep to schedule as safety allowed eg.rush hour traffic.I would do an eight hour to nine and a half hour shift usually with only twenty to thirty min. breaks but only if i got to the relief points on time in that case if late would just continue on and later phone in the overtime. when i got to my relief point for the day i would turn the streetcar to my relief operator and go home. We had alot of recertifications every 3 years and also public relation seminars also safety meetings and regular job up dates. Also human rights is very high on the ttcs list and was always completely covered. the hardest part of the job was coping with the everchanging rush hour traffic and all season weather conditions but it always kept me sharp and interested in my job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Transit Commission. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4