Toronto Transit Commission
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

TTC has always been a fantastic place to join at an entry level position and work your way up through the ranks. Unfortunately, the past few years the organization has become incredibly bloated and top-heavy to the point where nothing actually gets done and most managers simply trudge through a brutal 12-13 hour day putting out one fire after another. Nearly all staff positions are working from home now and with ModernTO coming where everyone shares a desk there will never be that fun, collaborative office environment that TTC was once known for. I do not recommend joining this company in any sort of leadership capacity because this organization is no longer capable of balancing employee performance with overall job satisfaction. It is a comfortable place to work if you don't really want to accomplish anything, but if you are a diligent worker or someone looking to build a team and make positive change this is no longer the place to work. Only a few years ago, the TTC was lead by a 5-person executive; now it has tripled in size to 15. The pay, which was once the top in Canada, now lags many other public sector agencies and they are losing their best employees to more progressive and caring companies that can keep up with the times. A lot of good, hard working people have become sponges here and its sad to see. Glad to be retirement age, that's for sure.
Pros
Advancement potential, free transit pass, job security
Cons
Weak leadership, declining pay, low sense of accomplishment
If you have less than nine months on the job, expect to be worked like a dog. The subway train carhouse is the absolute worst to be a janitor. Communication is not a strong point and the managers between evening and night shifts are completely clueless.
Pros
good company in terms of benefits
Cons
employees are undervalued
The culture is amazing, you literally move Toronto. Lots of good and bad people working there but just keep your principles and do your best. Pay is great, benefits great. And work life balance gets better with time. Best career anyone can ever ask for.
Pros
Salary, benefits, sense of belonging
Cons
Stressful situations and public scrutiny
The compensation and benefits were great and people around me were professional. As a co-op student, I just wish I had more things to get involved with.
Pros
TTC pass
I worked for the TTC for 8 years as a Bus Operator. The job is very stressful with no life/work balance. I currently work for another municipal government as a bus operator and the difference is astonishing. Hate the TTC
Pros
Pay
Cons
No work/life balance. NON
The Toronto Transit Commission can be the best place to work if you have the right attitude. There are plenty of opportunities if you invest in and challenge yourself.
Pros
Meeting many great people
Cons
Low moral
Continually being spied upon. Have never worked at a company who searches for ways to discipline the employees. Always looking over your shoulder. Why ? Because there are secret riders watching you everyday! Military management team. A toxic environment to work in !
Pros
Pay / Benefits
Cons
Intersting job very poor management but was a good run just the same. Pension makes the job worth while but dealing with public can be very difficult indeed
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Work all shifts
Was hard and dirty and dangerous work working track level. Great crew and decent foreman’s but upper management easy to pounce if u make one mistake Best part was pay and benefits. Rain or shine work had to be done. The new generation I found are not like workers from older days Old timers worked lots harder
Pros
Pay. Benefits
Cons
Shifts. Management with no knowledge but making decisions
Management was fair and employees were amazing. Learned a lot of different jobs and with courses I’ve taken are still with me today. Would recommend you have a minimum of grade twelve and a drivers license to start.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No comment. Everything went well and I've learned a lot dealing with people and my personal life improvement. The only hard part is when you start your first day for few months like anywhere else.
Not a fun place to work. Extremely inadequate. Fear tactics and poor upper management. Was a great place to work but the upper management have lost touch with the lower levels. Communication is key but it's the same stuff forwarded from level to level and so on. Moral is in the dumps because of all the stepping on each other to advance.
Pros
training
Cons
lifestyle sacrifices
Working at the TTC for 38 years was enjoyable. I was responsible for fare media distribution to the network businesses. I have learned most of my customer skills and how to supervise a union workforce. Management was the best easy to get along with and to work for over the years. Hardest part was dealing with union employees. The most enjoyable part was meeting all the different people over the years.
great place to work. salary benifits and job security. Went in good attitude, treated fairly all levels. Top heavy. Too many chiefs not enough indians
I worked in a TTC as a customer service representative for about 3 months. It was good to work there. I got many friends while working there. It wasn't that hard job, but you have to be a quick responder all the time.
Pick up and drop off clients to their destinations, with a focus on disabled and senior passengers Provide on-time transportation according to an agreed-upon schedule Operated special equipments, such as wheelchair lifts to transport people with special needs in and out of the vehicle Follow relevant safety regulations for vehicle operation Ensure the verhible is regularly cleaned after each appointment is complete Perform routine vehicle maintenance to ensure the car is functioning well Taxi Driver
Work for the TTC for ten years and became extremely ill with a mental health issue that is generic in my family, and management went out of there way to do everything possible to get rid of me, but in the end I had to resign to get the help that I needed without the support from management at the TTC.
My experience at TTC was wonderful, the managers and supervisors are very approachable, the workers are quick to assist you in anyway possible. the work environment is one that encourages team work.
It was good working with different people and helping customers. Learned a lot from my team members and gained experience in customer service which helped me to get another job easily.
Kiss weekends goodbye for a few years and you don’t get to pick a regular crew right away. Overnight shifts suck. Patrons on some routes are just plain stupid and rude. Supervisors at control centre aren’t always the brightest bulbs. If you can handle always being at fault and biting your tongue, you’ll be ok.
TTC is a very unique place to work. Everything is slow pace here and since it has unionized workers, some show up just for a pay cheque - TTC could be be better. if some people could pick up just a paper off the floor for their whole job for the 8 hour shift, won't happen. They'll look at it, walk away and go take a nap. lot's of lazy workers who try to sneak under the radar. Tons of individuals are involved in time thefts.