Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

Great Job for Pension and Benefits
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 March 2019
Overall the job is great.
They are very strict with the attendance rules, so don't be late or not show up without notice.
Great vacation time.
I have enjoyed my time with T.T.C. so far.
Pros
Pension, Benefits, vacation time, free transit pass for employees
Cons
Hard work, Strict rules, hard to get shifts that you want at first.
TTC should be a private company.
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2019
TTC should be a private company. It has too many incompetent people that are not able to do their job properly. Big projects at TTC are frequently failing.
Pros
Good hourly rate
Cons
I enjoyed most of my time there
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2019
A seniority based hourly rated makes for a difficult home life in the beginning. Off shifts and mid week off days aren't for everyone. Most employees create a cohesive and family oriented atmosphere. Management promoted from within are empathetic as they've usually done the job before and been where the employees are coming from. Outside hires are usually obtuse and cause an unpleasant working environment.
Pros
Great benefits and competitive pay
Cons
Off shifts and midweek off days
productive and fun workplace
Surface Janitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2019
Working with this company is big help for me and I learned a lot of things especially when it comes to dealing with different people and my supervisors and co workers are all approachable and fun to be with.
Not your regular company to work for
Signals (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2019
The TTC is very old school with a lot of practices and policies; however, it's among one of the greatest company I've worked for. A lot of down time and slower pace of work. Management can sometimes be annoying but, it's mostly the person who's trying to impress their upper boss by slave driving regular workers to get an impressive amount of work done. A lot of opportunity within the TTC. The pay is okay but, after all the deductions, pension,benefits, etc...it needs to be raise to a higher wage. Shift work will take couple years off your life.
Pros
Great job and atmosphere
Cons
Shift work
Great place to work with diverse co-workers
Vault Custodian (Former Employee) –  Revenue Operations31 January 2019
It takes serval years to get day work, long hours with excellent wages Management would rather work with you to solve any issues that might arise. If you like to meet a vast variety of people than this is defenantly the place to work.
Pros
Everyday is different
Cons
Hours, split shifts, night work
Most enjoyable part of the job
Commercial Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2019
The Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people daily..and your scenery often change..It also taught me to be patient and unassuming.
A very rewarding place to work at.
Elevating Devices Foreperson (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2019
The TTC is a very diverse place to draw on new ideas and learn new ways to do your daily work. On the whole people work together to get the job done safely.
This job will take over your life
Streetcar Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2019
I’ve been a Streetcar operator for 4 months but I had to throw in the towel because it took over my life. There is no work life balance. You do shift work and they start you off on spare board where you have to call at 5pm the day before to know what time you’re working. It is hard to make plans outside of work. You are forced to work weekends and holidays. You sit all day and you have no set routine so it’s easy to gain weight on this job. It is a very mundane job. Doing the same thing over and over again making the days feel super long. The other operators are mostly negative and is a toxic environment. People sleep in the division because they are sleep deprived. You start off with $26/ hr but you have many deductions and end up with a small pay cheque. The training was so intense. People were told to quit their job and fully commit to the training. They ended up firing half the people in my class for minor mistakes. You are constantly in fear of losing your job. You are at high risk. People run out of nowhere and it is hard to stop the street car when the rails are slippery. If you lose ground or something happens with the overhead, you risk getting electrocuted with 600 volts. If you don’t follow proper procedure, you can be liable for the 200+ people’s life’s. This job is totally not worth it in my option.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, blah blah blah
Cons
Horrible hours, no work life balance, toxic environment
productive and fun work place
CUSTOMER SERVICE & GREETING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2019
greeted customers and ensured they were going in the right direction in-order to get to their final destination. familiarized my self with the TTC map.
Productive and Innovative
(TTC) - Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Davisville, ON10 January 2019
Excellent room for growth within the organization.
They provide tools and equip every employee for success
There are so many ways to improve one's skills and qualifications at TTC
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
No work from home policy
Great company to work for
TRANSIT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2019
Check the bus making sure it is safe for the road before going into service. take passengers from point A to point B safely. Management is fair. Workplace culture friendly and funny. Hardest part of the job aggressive passengers.
Pros
salary and benefits
very calm
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
I was only a co-op student working here in my grade 11 year an everyone there was very kind and very helpful. they would explain something thoroughly if I didn't understand the task.
Very stressful environment
Subway Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2019
Good

Pay, benefits, good pension and people you work with

Bad

Very stressful,
Various hours and days off
You have to book your vacations
a year in advance
Constantly being harassed by either the customers
or management
Very poor moral
continual information exchange
Safety Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2019
A typical day would include review the Transit delay logs.
review emails for information or incidents from the off shifts
review emails for information from a current or ongoing investigation
Great career for anyone interested in Public Transit
ROUTE MANGER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2018
TTC has a great health and benefit plan as well as a good pension after 29 years service. Work is sometimes hard and the shifts at times are not great, but the more time you put into the job the better it becomes. There is room for advancement if you so desire. The TTC gives you all the tools to succeed through internal courses. They are considered one of the best and safest Transit's in North America.
Pros
Meeting new friends and acquaintances.
Cons
Sometimes long hours sitting or standing depending upon your job.
Amazing
TTC Summer Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2018
Great company to work for with awesome benefits and staff. On an every day basis, people were often inviting and friendly. The company has great morals.
The best company to work for
Signal technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2018
Because it's a public company, there's not a lot of micro management or, competition between co workers. Everyone is very welcoming and the job is pretty relaxing unless it's an emergency call. Co workers are good people and it's a slower pace of work. Safety is a hugeeee must, don't work if you're not wearking any PPE. Job security, pension, pay, benefits are good. They take care of their employees.
Pros
Job security, pension, benefits, advancement
Cons
Benefits package could be better
Great Company with pension and benefits
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2018
Overall I consider myself very lucky to be working here but there are times when i feel i'm not being heard or I can do 99 things right but one thing that i did wrong stands out more than the 99 good things i did.
Money talks..
Buses/Subway (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2018
If it wasn't for the pay, benefits and most importantly the pension, no one would do this job.
Long hours, terrible shifts, stressful work environment, micromanaged and as contrary as it sounds, no management support.
At the TTC you are just a number. Through your entire career you will be defined by your badge number as everything is based on seniority. As a new hire you will get the worst shifts. Expect no family life, no personal life, no stat holidays for at least 5-6 years if you are lucky. Don't expect regular weekends off until you get to at least 15-20yrs. Worst are the split shifts. 4 on, 4off, 4on. That's a 12hr day but you get paid for 8.
An example: I would report at Cowell at 4:30am. Take the blue light bus to Kipling to take the train out at 5:40am. Will be on the line until 9:40am and have a split until 1:40pm. 1:40pm to 6pm on the line again. That is a long day and you don't get paid for all of it. You get paid only when you are operating
Another downside is customer abuse. Worst for bus and streetcar operators. By the time help gets to you, the person is gone. Last time I had an incident, the management response was " with your experience, you should have been more aware of your environment." Someone swung a skateboard at my head when I stuck it out to check the platform when opening/closing the doors FFS!! Plus if we don't do that, we get written up and suspended.
That was the straw that broke the camels back for me.
After 10years I have had enough. Missed too much of my kids' life. My wife was basically a single mom.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, split shifts, no weekends, micromanaged

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Transit Commission. Our community is ready to answer.