Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

Pretty fair company
Signal Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2018
On average it took me 4 years of applying before I got in, around the same number of years it took for my co workers also. Nepotism doesn't exist here as the public thinks or, say. Very tight group of co-workers who teach younger apprentice, a lot of old school workers here too. Job security, Advancements, Pay, Benefits and, pension are attractive. It's a seniority system for when it comes to bidding on jobs so, starting here in your 20's is guarantee a spot in upper management by the time you're in your 40's. Everything here is by the books and nothing really gets pushed under the table as the union for TTC is very strong. Most of the bad reviews here are from operators because it takes a lot of patients dealing with the public sometime and not everyone has it.
Pros
Good environment, friendly people all around
Cons
Shift work
no fun
Collector and Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2018
as wz indicated in earlier comments you really are just a number. And they do look for every reason to fire you, unless you are management. Don;t ruffle management it's a click you can't penetrate. They do whatever they want. They don't have to follow the rules only the lay staff has to follow the rules. Only thing good is the benefits and money. But you will have absolutely no life. No holidays with family and friends and not stats holidays. you will be working. the days are very long and this company owns you even when you are not working they are trying to dicate your life. its a rough road unless you are willinng to give up a lot and get very little in return for a very long time
Pros
the money and benefits
Cons
long hours, no family time, no work/life balance. low moral
The best company to work for
Signal technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2018
Because it's a public company, there's not a lot of micro management or, competition between co workers. Everyone is very welcoming and the job is pretty relaxing unless it's an emergency call. Co workers are good people and it's a slower pace of work. Safety is a hugeeee must, don't work if you're not wearking any PPE. Job security, pension, pay, benefits are good. They take care of their employees.
Pros
Job security, pension, benefits, advancement
Cons
Benefits package could be better
Simply, One of the best employer in canada!
Signal Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2018
The environment is very welcoming and diverse. It's really a great sight to see such a diverse staff working to maintain and, build upon a company standards. If you're a young individual who's ready to build a solid career with endless opportunities. Apply to the TTC!. It may take 3-4 years of constantly applying for the job before you get selected by HR but, keep trying. Nothing in life worth getting comes easy. Great people, Unionized, Pension, Benefits, training, everything is done by the books.
Pros
Free transite ride pass for life, Pay, Pension, Benefits
Cons
Rotating shifts
Great company to work for
TRANSIT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2019
Check the bus making sure it is safe for the road before going into service. take passengers from point A to point B safely. Management is fair. Workplace culture friendly and funny. Hardest part of the job aggressive passengers.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
if it wasn't for the salary no one in their right mind would work there
Professional Transportation Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2018
Worst place I ever worked! They hire you and train you and then try everything in their power to fire you! You are just a number to them, say goodbye to all your friends and lots of family as you won't see them again for many years. Forget about attending weddings or funerals and don't even think you can attend a birthday party unless it's on a Tuesday or a Wednesday!
Pros
salary
Cons
everything else
Very stressful environment
Subway Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2019
Good

Pay, benefits, good pension and people you work with

Bad

Very stressful,
Various hours and days off
You have to book your vacations
a year in advance
Constantly being harassed by either the customers
or management
Very poor moral
Money talks..
Buses/Subway (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2018
If it wasn't for the pay, benefits and most importantly the pension, no one would do this job.
Long hours, terrible shifts, stressful work environment, micromanaged and as contrary as it sounds, no management support.
At the TTC you are just a number. Through your entire career you will be defined by your badge number as everything is based on seniority. As a new hire you will get the worst shifts. Expect no family life, no personal life, no stat holidays for at least 5-6 years if you are lucky. Don't expect regular weekends off until you get to at least 15-20yrs. Worst are the split shifts. 4 on, 4off, 4on. That's a 12hr day but you get paid for 8.
An example: I would report at Cowell at 4:30am. Take the blue light bus to Kipling to take the train out at 5:40am. Will be on the line until 9:40am and have a split until 1:40pm. 1:40pm to 6pm on the line again. That is a long day and you don't get paid for all of it. You get paid only when you are operating
Another downside is customer abuse. Worst for bus and streetcar operators. By the time help gets to you, the person is gone. Last time I had an incident, the management response was " with your experience, you should have been more aware of your environment." Someone swung a skateboard at my head when I stuck it out to check the platform when opening/closing the doors FFS!! Plus if we don't do that, we get written up and suspended.
That was the straw that broke the camels back for me.
After 10years I have had enough. Missed too much of my kids' life. My wife was basically a single mom.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, split shifts, no weekends, micromanaged
Amazing
TTC Summer Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2018
Great company to work for with awesome benefits and staff. On an every day basis, people were often inviting and friendly. The company has great morals.
Excellent
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2018
Excellent place to grow your career in transit services. Very competitive salary and package. Company provides training to all employees and hire in house.
Great career for anyone interested in Public Transit
ROUTE MANGER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2018
TTC has a great health and benefit plan as well as a good pension after 29 years service. Work is sometimes hard and the shifts at times are not great, but the more time you put into the job the better it becomes. There is room for advancement if you so desire. The TTC gives you all the tools to succeed through internal courses. They are considered one of the best and safest Transit's in North America.
Pros
Meeting new friends and acquaintances.
Cons
Sometimes long hours sitting or standing depending upon your job.
Customer Service Representative
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2018
$14 an hour is the wage of most outsourced TTC ambassadors (red bib) employees. Even TTC bus drivers get approx. $34 an hour range yet we get $14 for doing more customer service work in one shift than most of the drivers, particularly subway op's, have done in a week.

Employee benefits are minimal (CPP and EI only) in comparison to other, non-outsourced/contracted TTC employees who get several fully paid vacation days, yet still, complain that they don't get enough. TTC employees also get a free employee metro pass and a pax key but us, outsourced staff, still have to pay the fare, even when going to our assignments and have to wait for an employee to lend their pax key to use the facilities and break room (although some of have obtained their own set of pax keys...???)

Some TTC employees hate us because apparently, we 'stole' their union jobs, however, the TTC is to blame for outsourcing - we just applied to a job opening and were hired. I've been personally confronted by several TTC employees who think otherwise when using the 'unionized employees only' washrooms and break room.

The public is generally ok with the odd few disgruntled passengers. I find several miserable and self-righteous 'unionized' TTC employees to be even worse in their attitudes and temperament towards us, outsourced staff.

We are expected to stand for our entire shifts, minus an unpaid hour break, and even if we lean for a split second, we'll be written up.

Overall, the job is ok.
Pros
Paid Weekly
Cons
Where do I begin
Good company to work
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2018
Great company to work if you are satisfied within your comfortable zoom. very diversified workplace, great salary and benefits, as well as great pension ahead.
It is among the 100 best company to work for
Collector (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 May 2018
TTC is among best 100 company to work for. This is a union job and that makes it one of the best company to work for because of job security. TTC provides a lot of benefits and a lot of trainings and there is also a good chance of development . Also there is a chance to work a different specialization since TTC has many departments .
Pros
Free ride
Cons
Split shifts
Awesome
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2018
Did 29 years there great place money and benefits outstanding.
Retired now and moving onto next chapter. If I had a chance id do it all over again. enjoy
Benefits
Cons
bad shifts
Maintenance Personnel (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2018
The atmosphere was great to work. The people were nice and the salary was good. I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for employement.
Bus Operator
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Wilson Division25 January 2018
18 months in, assaulted physically 4 times of my last 6 months, made reports within Transit, nothing to claim after seeing my Dr. diagnosed with P.T.S.D, in claims of time off through W.S.I.B. Transit claims they have no documents pertaining to my claim to W.S.I.B.

Management is a fkning joke at Wilson Division. They are puppets who act like their someone but overall lack the intelligence of their position. Same goes with the Stupidvisors.. most not all, but most are SLOW, Fat and Lazy and pass the buck on to each other when taking care of matters.. they do not like filing or reporting or doing their job.

I only give Kudos to the Drivers and Wicket guys.. that's it, they work hard! Its a tuff skin job.. but when nothing is done about claims of assault, you gotta ask yourself.. am I going to do this for the next 25 years for a company who doesn't have your back? Your just another #.. that's it! replacable
Pros
Benefits and wages
Cons
The General Public are MOFO's to you just for wearing the Uniform, Supervisory Staff are shi8, The Union is Shi8, Your Shop Stewards are a bunch of Stu's.
Great career opportunity
Customer Service, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2018
Good people, progressive environment, great career opportunity and healthy work-life balance.flexible hours, decent pay and perfect temperas job for looking jobs
Pros
Hours
Productive and fun workplace
Summer Student - Station Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2018
Fun place to work, exceptional people and all supervisors and managers were very kind. Good breaks and pays well with good benefits. You also Get to come back for 3 years if you have a good review at the end of the term as a student.
I am able to retire and go after my dreams
PAYROLL TIME KEEPER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2018
The TTC has given me many things. I am retiring early to start a new career in photography and film. I still have to work part time, unless I am working in the field I am interested in. Overall my 19 years were good. In the beginning you will have to work split shifts, nights and weekends. You will most likely work all the stat holidays.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Hard on the family in the beginning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Transit Commission. Our community is ready to answer.