Toronto Research Chemicals Inc. Employee Reviews

No security
chemist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON1 February 2019
In TRC there is poor engineering system with terrible ventilation and air conditioners. It is really naturally controlled. You suffer in a steamering cubicle in summer, and in a chilly room in winter. You have to rely on your luck to survive in a building filled with kinds of smell.
No security here. One staff was found dead in this aweful building two years ago. No one noticed the corpse until the second morning. The management promised to present updated information while two years has passed no any response related. If you still survive here, please show respect to yourself.
Cons
No security
Official response from Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.
5 March 2019

The death of a colleague under any circumstance is tragic. This extremely rare and unfortunately occurrence took place approximately two years ago. Although our closing procedures do include premises checks similar to those that could be completed by a security guard, the employee was found the morning following his passing. His death was not related to a workplace accident or injury, the facility, or working conditions and the situation was very difficult for all involved. In regards to your comments about the HVAC system, there is a plan in place to make improvements, however certain steps must occur first in order to enable these upgrades. The timeline and other important information and updates have been communicated at the last few quarterly communication sessions. As a current employee, if you require additional information or clarification please speak to a member of the senior management team.

Go elsewhere
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2018
Poor ventilation and the best place to work if you want to develop lung disease.
Once when there was a spill a manager came out and yelled at everyone to get back to the bench and stop standing in the hallways “you choose this career so do your job!”
All the younger generation eventually leaves. The ones left are those that are immigrants and believe the working conditions are better than back home (even though they barely pass work standards here)
Official response from Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.
7 December 2018

There are quite a few items that require clarification and correction. First, safety at TRC is of the utmost importance. Engineering controls, scheduled inspections, calibrations of fume hoods, point of use monitoring/alarms of airflow, etc., are ways in which we ensure the work environment meets the necessary and required safety standards. Second, your statements above do not align with the Company’s procedures for handling a spill or pervasive odor. Both the Supervisor and the employee have an input when it comes to deciding if an area requires evacuation. If an employee disagrees with the decision of their supervisor, the employee can escalate to the Environmental Health & Safety Manager or another member of the senior management team. Every employee is encouraged to bring their concerns, questions and suggestions for improvement to the attention of their supervisor or another member of the management team. It’s disappointing that you did not speak to someone about your concerns during your employment. Third, we find the racial undertones of your comment highly offensive and inappropriate. TRC has an extremely talented and diverse workforce which we are very proud of.

Not a good place to work!!
Chemistry Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
Be careful, this company has terrible structure of organization. Mangers, director and COO are just names in this company the whole business is run with one man show which provides no job security even with permanent employees. Senior management is all retired or close to retirement which put the carrier of other young employees in danger after hiring. Pass on this message to group of people so that people don’t get lured by this organization. So advice for person which has some experience, don’t waste time for interviews with this company and don’t accept offer if you already have job with other company.

This is privately owned company with dictatorship management.
If anyone is planning to join this company by resigning or leaving the current job for expectation of more compensation or same or even less compensation then you are in stage of wrong decision! This company is only for unemployed person or fresh graduates which mean no risk of losing after get fired with this company.
Pros
This company hired Phd's which are new immigrant which is good advantage to company.
Cons
compensation, management, job security

Comment – 10 October 2018

Thank you for your feedback; however it is necessary to take a moment to address your comments. TRC hires qualified chemists and we are looking for more. The same opportunity is provided to every candidate that applies and all hiring decisions are based on experience and skill. TRC is also committed to ensuring that each employee receives equal pay. Once hired, Chemists are offered a great deal of latitude to enjoy a wide variety of work and contribute to the creative process. They are also provided modern equipment and access to chemical literature and journals so they can further develop their technical knowledge and capabilities. Over the last few years a strong Management team and organizational structure have been put in place and, much progress has been made in fostering TRC’s growth as a professionally run organization. The plan for continued growth and success are consistently communicated to employees at the quarterly communication sessions, we aren’t aware of anyone that’s retiring! It’s unfortunate that you advise potential new hires to be weary of TRC and we sincerely hope that these opinions do not dissuade potential new hires from applying. As a growing company, we continue to encourage all candidates to apply!

Worst management of any company, ever!
Office Coordinator (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
This business is run by 3 brothers, who fight like they're little children. There are up to 20 office employees at any time, and the brothers will walk around screaming at eachother. It sounds so ridiculous (how could it be possible?), but trust me when I tell you, I'm not exaggerating.

The pay is low and there's no bonuses/room for growth. If you're okay with showing up for a mediocre paycheck, with mediocre coworkers, then TRC is the place for you!
Pros
Monday-Friday 9-5, no overtime, weekends and holidays off
Cons
Low pay, no benefits for 6 months, no bonuses.
tense environment
Senior CSR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2018
lot of tension within the office between employees. Some employees are supportive while others aren't. The senior employees expect new employees to know the job position and put a lot of pressure of them. There is a lot of office politics and you must cover all your grounds to make sure issues do not arise within the workplace.
First Job , Many learning opportunities
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
First Job , Many learning opportunities. However sometimes you are asked to do unsafe work endangering your life. Some go the equipment needs replacement

Comment – 10 October 2018

We are pleased that your experience at TRC provided you with many learning opportunities; however your comment regarding safety is concerning and not aligned with the company’s “safety first” philosophy, which is not just a slogan. At TRC, we aim to have health and safety policies and procedures that provide a safe working environment for all employees and be fully compliant with all regulatory requirement, and are strictly enforced at all times. The Health and Safety Team along with the Joint Health & safety Committee proactively look for ways to reduce hazards on a regular basis and encourages all employees to participate in hazard reduction initiatives. If any employee encounters or witnesses anything that seems unsafe, they are to report it to their Supervisor, another member of the Management Team or a member of the Health and Safety team right away so the appropriate action can be taken.

Loved working here
Intern (Former Employee) –  North York, ON11 January 2018
I did my first internship with this company. Loved working here, majority of management is really good and helpful. I learned a lot in the year that I spent with them. The company is very organized and teams work very well together.
Pros
work culture is strong, good work life balance, built some friendships there, CEO is a sweet, very inspirational
Cons
some members of customer service is toxic, VP is nuts, hope he is doing better now
Not fair salary and an immatured manager Accounting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2017
disclosing of Salary to manager creates a tension and jealousy
Not able to recognized you as a hardworking employee
Lots of turnover
Lack of procedures to follow
Lousy manager
Lots of gossips
Pros
Flexible hrs
Cons
Immatured manager from Accounting dept lots of complain
High stress, lack of management staff
Office Manager (Promoted) (Current Employee) –  North York, ON17 November 2013
I have worked for Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.(TRC) for 10 years. TRC manufactures chemicals for research and development and ships them worldwide. When I started there were 37 employees and in 2013 there are 165. I was promoted from Reception/Shipping clerk to A/P and HR then promoted again to Office Manager. We have a very high turnover of staff due to the stressful high production environment. I learned full cycle A/P and HR duties including continuous training of new staff. My A/P duties included WSIB, EHT, CT, HST remittances as well as all utilities and vendor bills. My HR duties included interviewing, payroll, ROEs and tracking of sick and vacation days for all employees. The employees of TRC are fantastic but the upper management is poor. I loved the variety and increased responsibilities my various positions offered me.

Want to know more about Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Toronto Research Chemicals Inc. Reviews by Location