Toronto Research Chemicals Inc. Employee Reviews

Secure job, work life balance with flexible working hours. Reasonable management organisation.
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2018
I am with this organisation over a decade and some nonsense reviews made me write this review. Some are genuine but mostly doesn't make sense at all. If one is there for work and love for science, it is a good place to work, learn and advance his career. It is a private organisation without public funding, so company has to make money so if one is just out from a publicly funded organisation, it will take some time to understand work culture. In labs, major section of production is R&D, it is never boring and if one puts genuine efforts, management understands it and doesn't affect ones' annual review, even in case of negative outcomes and low production unlike other companies. Salary is at par and somewhat better than other similar organisations in area but as over last few years the way living expenses has increased here in GTA, particularly rent, salaries need more attention from senior management (though lately efforts has been made in this area but more could be done). Safety is one area where constant efforts has been made over years and things has improved significantly and if one genuinely think that safety is ignored, one is highly mistaken or just writing a review to just malign image of TRC. This organisation has moved from 90 employees to about 300 over these 10 years, and over 55% people are still with company and this tells that overall this is a good place to work, people have contributed positively and so by the senior management and it is hard to ignore some of these biased reviews.
One thing worth mentioning is that old vacation policy of carrying over days
  more... was liked by people more than this new one where carry over is having a deadline of 10 months into subsequent year.  less
Pros
Flexible timing, decent pay, management structure, 8 hours - 5 day week work culture.
Cons
Heating/ cooling system is an issue in building 1.
Go elsewhere
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2018
Poor ventilation and the best place to work if you want to develop lung disease.
Once when there was a spill a manager came out and yelled at everyone to get back to the bench and stop standing in the hallways “you choose this career so do your job!”
All the younger generation eventually leaves. The ones left are those that are immigrants and believe the working conditions are better than back home (even though they barely pass work standards here)
Official response from Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.
7 December 2018

There are quite a few items that require clarification and correction. First, safety at TRC is of the utmost importance. Engineering controls, scheduled inspections, calibrations of fume hoods, point of use monitoring/alarms of airflow, etc., are ways in which we ensure the work environment meets the necessary and required safety standards. Second, your statements above do not align with the Company’s procedures for handling a spill or pervasive odor. Both the Supervisor and the employee have an input when it comes to deciding if an area requires evacuation. If an employee disagrees with the decision of their supervisor, the employee can escalate to the Environmental Health & Safety Manager or another member of the senior management team. Every employee is encouraged to bring their concerns, questions and suggestions for improvement to the attention of their supervisor or another member of the management team. It’s disappointing that you did not speak to someone about your concerns during your employment. Third, we find the racial undertones of your comment highly offensive and inappropriate. TRC has an extremely talented and diverse workforce which we are very proud of.

Not a good place to work!!
Chemistry Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
Be careful, this company has terrible structure of organization. Mangers, director and COO are just names in this company the whole business is run with one man show which provides no job security even with permanent employees. Senior management is all retired or close to retirement which put the carrier of other young employees in danger after hiring. Pass on this message to group of people so that people don’t get lured by this organization. So advice for person which has some experience, don’t waste time for interviews with this company and don’t accept offer if you already have job with other company.

This is privately owned company with dictatorship management.
If anyone is planning to join this company by resigning or leaving the current job for expectation of more compensation or same or even less compensation then you are in stage of wrong decision! This company is only for unemployed person or fresh graduates which mean no risk of losing after get fired with this company.
Pros
This company hired Phd's which are new immigrant which is good advantage to company.
Cons
compensation, management, job security

Comment – 10 October 2018

Thank you for your feedback; however it is necessary to take a moment to address your comments. TRC hires qualified chemists and we are looking for more. The same opportunity is provided to every candidate that applies and all hiring decisions are based on experience and skill. TRC is also committed to ensuring that each employee receives equal pay. Once hired, Chemists are offered a great deal of latitude to enjoy a wide variety of work and contribute to the creative process. They are also provided modern equipment and access to chemical literature and journals so they can further develop their technical knowledge and capabilities. Over the last few years a strong Management team and organizational structure have been put in place and, much progress has been made in fostering TRC’s growth as a professionally run organization. The plan for continued growth and success are consistently communicated to employees at the quarterly communication sessions, we aren’t aware of anyone that’s retiring! It’s unfortunate that you advise potential new hires to be weary of TRC and we sincerely hope that these opinions do not dissuade potential new hires from applying. As a growing company, we continue to encourage all candidates to apply!

Worst management of any company, ever!
Office Coordinator (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
This business is run by 3 brothers, who fight like they're little children. There are up to 20 office employees at any time, and the brothers will walk around screaming at eachother. It sounds so ridiculous (how could it be possible?), but trust me when I tell you, I'm not exaggerating.

The pay is low and there's no bonuses/room for growth. If you're okay with showing up for a mediocre paycheck, with mediocre coworkers, then TRC is the place for you!
Pros
Monday-Friday 9-5, no overtime, weekends and holidays off
Cons
Low pay, no benefits for 6 months, no bonuses.
First Job , Many learning opportunities
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
First Job , Many learning opportunities. However sometimes you are asked to do unsafe work endangering your life. Some go the equipment needs replacement

Comment – 10 October 2018

We are pleased that your experience at TRC provided you with many learning opportunities; however your comment regarding safety is concerning and not aligned with the company’s “safety first” philosophy, which is not just a slogan. At TRC, we aim to have health and safety policies and procedures that provide a safe working environment for all employees and be fully compliant with all regulatory requirement, and are strictly enforced at all times. The Health and Safety Team along with the Joint Health & safety Committee proactively look for ways to reduce hazards on a regular basis and encourages all employees to participate in hazard reduction initiatives. If any employee encounters or witnesses anything that seems unsafe, they are to report it to their Supervisor, another member of the Management Team or a member of the Health and Safety team right away so the appropriate action can be taken.

Loved working here
Intern (Former Employee) –  North York, ON11 January 2018
I did my first internship with this company. Loved working here, majority of management is really good and helpful. I learned a lot in the year that I spent with them. The company is very organized and teams work very well together.
Pros
work culture is strong, good work life balance, built some friendships there, CEO is a sweet, very inspirational
Cons
some members of customer service is toxic, VP is nuts, hope he is doing better now
Not fair salary and an immatured manager Accounting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2017
disclosing of Salary to manager creates a tension and jealousy
Not able to recognized you as a hardworking employee
Lots of turnover
Lack of procedures to follow
Lousy manager
Lots of gossips
Pros
Flexible hrs
Cons
Immatured manager from Accounting dept lots of complain
High stress, lack of management staff
Office Manager (Promoted) (Current Employee) –  North York, ON17 November 2013
I have worked for Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.(TRC) for 10 years. TRC manufactures chemicals for research and development and ships them worldwide. When I started there were 37 employees and in 2013 there are 165. I was promoted from Reception/Shipping clerk to A/P and HR then promoted again to Office Manager. We have a very high turnover of staff due to the stressful high production environment. I learned full cycle A/P and HR duties including continuous training of new staff. My A/P duties included WSIB, EHT, CT, HST remittances as well as all utilities and vendor bills. My HR duties included interviewing, payroll, ROEs and tracking of sick and vacation days for all employees. The employees of TRC are fantastic but the upper management is poor. I loved the variety and increased responsibilities my various positions offered me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4