Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.

Toronto Research Chemicals Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
fun workplace
I enjoyed working there and would recommend the company to others. you muse however be qualify in chemistry to work here, otherwise, in the support role, you are not as well recognized.
Needs Help
I worked for TRC for around a month. The training was all over the place, there was no structure or proper guidance. Most of the day consisted of me just sitting around waiting to be told what to do... its like I was an afterthought... which was a horrible feeling to have. Employees were miserable; you could feel the misery and despair when you encountered someone. Employees don't seem like they know what they are doing even if they have been there for a while, which is very concerning because if you have questions, they are not able to help... Management tolerates employees complaining 24/7 in meetings about each other instead of putting the management cap on and fixing the problems ASAP. Employees talk about each other behind their backs, which is very toxic. I was warned numerous times by several employees to find work else where... what kind of environment is that to work in, where new employees are being told to not stay? Honestly if the company were to organize and get their affairs together and have some good training implemented/get rid of toxic employees etc, the company would be a decent place to work. I am confident that in a few years they will be a great company to work for.
Average
The job was a desk job and customer service. The day would consist of answering emails and phone calls. The primary role was processing purchase orders for chemicals
disappointed, would not recommend
- easy job experience after university
- repeated same routine everyday, can't learn much from work

- a strong chemical smell always present in building

- incompetent management team, employees are unhappy about working environment

- underpays all its employees

- unsafe working conditions: the temperature in lab goes to 3-5 degree Celsius in winter and 28 degree celsius plus humidity in summer days.
Worst environment I have ever seen
Horrible management. They terminate employees as if they are killing flies. No employee is valued. Everyone all the way up to the Director level is treated like garbage. Everyone is regularly talk down to by the executive team. DO NOT APPLY OR GO FOR AN INTERVIEW. No one wants to work there so they are desperate to hire. They will hire anyone with a heartbeat.

WORST PLACE EVER!
Good to start off asides from that nothing else to appreciate
I simply would not recommend this place of work
terrible management

micromanaging supervisors who do not know how to lead due to the fact that they do not undergo any training
Many Improvements
I have worked at TRC since 2014 and I have really noticed some very good improvements over the last few years. The management team is trying to improve communication with regular company meetings and listening to our feedback. There are some issues with the heating, cooling and ventilation but at least now there is a plan to fix them. I think some of the supervisors would benefit from training. They are technically capable but not many of them have experience supervising people. There are flexible working hours which is great. Coworkers are great too.
Pros
Trying to improve more and more
21 August 2019
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your attentiveness in noticing the changes that have taken place or, that are currently in progress. The best way for TRC to continue improving is through employee feedback; which is always greatly appreciated. This allows us to better understand how some of these changes are perceived by employees and areas in which there are gaps that may not be as visible to the management team. TRC is currently working on a plan to further develop the managerial skills of the leadership team, we are confident this will further improve communication and create better working relationships. We are looking forward to additional comments once the program is executed.
It should be possible to give a negative rating for this company.
TRC has strong capable employees however, there are major road blocks coming from owners, directors, managers, and supervisors. They constantly belittle their employee’s ability to preform their jobs.

When an issue arises, they cover things up or don’t care until we employees must escalate things to the ministry. Perfect example was this when employees have been working in labs that were 3 degrees! This was brought up to supervisors, health and safety, human resources, and upper management but it was pushed aside for more then 2 weeks until employees threatened to go to the ministry.

The working environment is depressing, everyone comes to work and just wants to leave. No team aspect to any department, employees have to keep picking up each other to try and get through the days.

Management needs to start respecting employees and understand we are not robots. We want to be able to come to come to a safe work place, somewhere we are happy and excited to come to every morning.

There should be more company events so we can get to know each other, take a break from work and enjoy each other company an have some laughs.

Management should listen to it’s employees and trust us with our work, or when we bring up an issue, we feel is important, hear us out and let’s find a solution that everyone is on board with.

Management should trust their employees to make decisions or bring up suggestions and hear us out instead of always shutting us down.

Start learning your groups are important and we are here because we want to and we want to learn, grow and succeed at the
 - more...
Pros
Leaving at the end of each shift, coworkers.
Cons
Everything else.
5 March 2019
As a current employee, we encourage you to voice your concerns and further discuss these issues with you Supervisor, HR or another member of the Senior Management Team. In regards to the recent temperature problems in the labs, corrective measures to address these issues were initiated long before employees escalated; however the plans were not effectively communicated which did make it appear that this was not being addressed. Since the escalation of the issues, we have improved the communication strategy and continue to work to improve it further. It is not acceptable for employees to work in an environment with a temperature below the acceptable range as outlined by the Ministry of Labour.

As part of our retention strategy, we are rolling out several new initiatives including a recognition and rewards program to improve employee morale and leadership and management training to further develop our leaders. We are also in the process of creating a social committee to introduce more frequent company events and build a more positive culture.
No security
In TRC there is poor engineering system with terrible ventilation and air conditioners. It is really naturally controlled. You suffer in a steamering cubicle in summer, and in a chilly room in winter. You have to rely on your luck to survive in a building filled with kinds of smell.
No security here. One staff was found dead in this aweful building two years ago. No one noticed the corpse until the second morning. The management promised to present updated information while two years has passed no any response related. If you still survive here, please show respect to yourself.
Cons
No security
5 March 2019
The death of a colleague under any circumstance is tragic. This extremely rare and unfortunately occurrence took place approximately two years ago. Although our closing procedures do include premises checks similar to those that could be completed by a security guard, the employee was found the morning following his passing. His death was not related to a workplace accident or injury, the facility, or working conditions and the situation was very difficult for all involved. In regards to your comments about the HVAC system, there is a plan in place to make improvements, however certain steps must occur first in order to enable these upgrades. The timeline and other important information and updates have been communicated at the last few quarterly communication sessions. As a current employee, if you require additional information or clarification please speak to a member of the senior management team.
Go elsewhere
Poor ventilation and the best place to work if you want to develop lung disease.
Once when there was a spill a manager came out and yelled at everyone to get back to the bench and stop standing in the hallways “you choose this career so do your job!”

All the younger generation eventually leaves. The ones left are those that are immigrants and believe the working conditions are better than back home (even though they barely pass work standards here)
7 December 2018
There are quite a few items that require clarification and correction. First, safety at TRC is of the utmost importance. Engineering controls, scheduled inspections, calibrations of fume hoods, point of use monitoring/alarms of airflow, etc., are ways in which we ensure the work environment meets the necessary and required safety standards. Second, your statements above do not align with the Company’s procedures for handling a spill or pervasive odor. Both the Supervisor and the employee have an input when it comes to deciding if an area requires evacuation. If an employee disagrees with the decision of their supervisor, the employee can escalate to the Environmental Health & Safety Manager or another member of the senior management team. Every employee is encouraged to bring their concerns, questions and suggestions for improvement to the attention of their supervisor or another member of the management team. It’s disappointing that you did not speak to someone about your concerns during your employment. Third, we find the racial undertones of your comment highly offensive and inappropriate. TRC has an extremely talented and diverse workforce which we are very proud of.
Not a good place to work!!
Be careful, this company has terrible structure of organization. Mangers, director and COO are just names in this company the whole business is run with one man show which provides no job security even with permanent employees. Senior management is all retired or close to retirement which put the carrier of other young employees in danger after hiring. Pass on this message to group of people so that people don’t get lured by this organization. So advice for person which has some experience, don’t waste time for interviews with this company and don’t accept offer if you already have job with other company.

This is privately owned company with dictatorship management.

If anyone is planning to join this company by resigning or leaving the current job for expectation of more compensation or same or even less compensation then you are in stage of wrong decision! This company is only for unemployed person or fresh graduates which mean no risk of losing after get fired with this company.
Pros
This company hired Phd's which are new immigrant which is good advantage to company.
Cons
compensation, management, job security
Comment – 10 October 2018
Thank you for your feedback; however it is necessary to take a moment to address your comments. TRC hires qualified chemists and we are looking for more. The same opportunity is provided to every candidate that applies and all hiring decisions are based on experience and skill. TRC is also committed to ensuring that each employee receives equal pay. Once hired, Chemists are offered a great deal of latitude to enjoy a wide variety of work and contribute to the creative process. They are also provided modern equipment and access to chemical literature and journals so they can further develop their technical knowledge and capabilities. Over the last few years a strong Management team and organizational structure have been put in place and, much progress has been made in fostering TRC’s growth as a professionally run organization. The plan for continued growth and success are consistently communicated to employees at the quarterly communication sessions, we aren’t aware of anyone that’s retiring! It’s unfortunate that you advise potential new hires to be weary of TRC and we sincerely hope that these opinions do not dissuade potential new hires from applying. As a growing company, we continue to encourage all candidates to apply!
Worst management of any company, ever!
This business is run by 3 brothers, who fight like they're little children. There are up to 20 office employees at any time, and the brothers will walk around screaming at eachother. It sounds so ridiculous (how could it be possible?), but trust me when I tell you, I'm not exaggerating.

The pay is low and there's no bonuses/room for growth. If you're okay with showing up for a mediocre paycheck, with mediocre coworkers, then TRC is the place for you!
Pros
Monday-Friday 9-5, no overtime, weekends and holidays off
Cons
Low pay, no benefits for 6 months, no bonuses.
tense environment
lot of tension within the office between employees. Some employees are supportive while others aren't. The senior employees expect new employees to know the job position and put a lot of pressure of them. There is a lot of office politics and you must cover all your grounds to make sure issues do not arise within the workplace.
First Job , Many learning opportunities
First Job , Many learning opportunities. However sometimes you are asked to do unsafe work endangering your life. Some go the equipment needs replacement
Comment – 10 October 2018
We are pleased that your experience at TRC provided you with many learning opportunities; however your comment regarding safety is concerning and not aligned with the company’s “safety first” philosophy, which is not just a slogan. At TRC, we aim to have health and safety policies and procedures that provide a safe working environment for all employees and be fully compliant with all regulatory requirement, and are strictly enforced at all times. The Health and Safety Team along with the Joint Health & safety Committee proactively look for ways to reduce hazards on a regular basis and encourages all employees to participate in hazard reduction initiatives. If any employee encounters or witnesses anything that seems unsafe, they are to report it to their Supervisor, another member of the Management Team or a member of the Health and Safety team right away so the appropriate action can be taken.
Loved working here
I did my first internship with this company. Loved working here, majority of management is really good and helpful. I learned a lot in the year that I spent with them. The company is very organized and teams work very well together.
Pros
work culture is strong, good work life balance, built some friendships there, CEO is a sweet, very inspirational
Cons
some members of customer service is toxic, VP is nuts, hope he is doing better now
Not fair salary and an immatured manager Accounting
disclosing of Salary to manager creates a tension and jealousy
Not able to recognized you as a hardworking employee

Lots of turnover

Lack of procedures to follow

Lousy manager

Lots of gossips
Pros
Flexible hrs
Cons
Immatured manager from Accounting dept lots of complain
High stress, lack of management staff
I have worked for Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.(TRC) for 10 years. TRC manufactures chemicals for research and development and ships them worldwide. When I started there were 37 employees and in 2013 there are 165. I was promoted from Reception/Shipping clerk to A/P and HR then promoted again to Office Manager. We have a very high turnover of staff due to the stressful high production environment. I learned full cycle A/P and HR duties including continuous training of new staff. My A/P duties included WSIB, EHT, CT, HST remittances as well as all utilities and vendor bills. My HR duties included interviewing, payroll, ROEs and tracking of sick and vacation days for all employees. The employees of TRC are fantastic but the upper management is poor. I loved the variety and increased responsibilities my various positions offered me.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Research Chemicals Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.2