Toronto Public Library

Toronto Public Library Employee Reviews

Good government job

Good training, people helpful, willing to help out. Hours were very good two nights a week and every second Saturday. It was essentially working doing reference work with students. Working with high school and college, university students. The department was a general reference department. There was an area called Quick Telephone where we were on the phones doing phone reference work.

Pros

One hour lunches or dinners. Working with students who were more then ready to get help.

Cons

Manager was non existent.

Great place to work.

I just retired after almost four decades. Their focus on being a community hub and the attention to detail about library patrons was absolutely incredible. I was proud to have a long career there.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

It takes years to go from part-time to full-time staff

Great work and enjoyable

It is great place to work, learn and practice your IT passion and there was a nice manager there also the daily tasks aren't boring at all also you are always feeling busy there.The staff aren't social and friendly, especially the Helpdesk members aren't friendly and there was a greedy racial unfriendly lady there, only the manager was good

Pros

Not stressful work and nice tasks

Cons

The staff are blunt and not friendly

most enjoyable place to work at

very good working experiencestaff and management treat everyone with equalitygood working hoursshowing appreciation to all learnt a lot from my work experiencewould highly recommend to all

Pros

good employer to work with

Cons

no complaints

Easygoing and Laid-back Volunteer Experience

My volunteer experience as a Youth Advisor at Toronto Public Library was easygoing and relaxed. There were not much work needed to be done as a volunteer, other than promoting and learning about activities being held at Toronto Public Library.

Pros

Free snacks

Cons

Boring Presentations

Awesome

Working here was amazing the staff is good and the work culture is good. I worked here part time for about a year and enjoyed every minute of it. Simple work

Great Job for Highschooler

I worked this job during my four years in high school, only 4 twice a week. It was perfect. The staff was lovely and very close and I felt accepted immediately. The tasks are simple and easy to do. You get to spend time looking at book and talking about them. It always felt safe and you get automatic raises each year. Strong union mentality

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Boring

productive

Informative.Client-oriented, Community engaging.The warm environment and great colleagues to work with. Managers were Supportive. great Teamwork, proactive.

Relaxed and slow paced, although may be too slow for some

The place is relaxed and slow paced. Change takes a long time to happen, and most people stay in the system for decades. The only way to advance forward is through seniority, which may not be what some people are looking for. However, the job security is excellent, and yearly appraisals are easy to pass.

Library experience

Organized books on their respective shelves. Distributed flyers to spread awareness of activities and events. Assisted and greeted people in the library.

excellent team

Working in a quiet place with very kind team and people make you more focussed. The work environment helped me a lot to work on my career objectives ... having fun sometimes too

Productive and fun workplace

when working in the library you are given the opportunity to interact with the community and the children. It is not a fast paced environment so you can relax and operate in a smooth and easy schedule.

fun and great people to work with

excellent place and lots of great people. not stressful at all. just talking and working with others in a positive manner. I would recommend this place to anybody.

Relaxed environment and very welcoming

Working with TPL is a very enriching experience, the people you work with are genuinely nice and makes you want to come to work. Good connections with coworkers and the community in general.

A rewarding and stable work environment

My tenure as a Sales Supervisor for the TPL Venue Rentals department was one of the most rewarding and enjoyable professional experiences. I truly appreciated their appreciation for work-life balance, which I felt I was able to achieve with their support. I enjoyed supportive and friendly workplace atmosphere as well as opportunities to promote the venue spaces creatively to solicit both corporate- and social- venue bookings.

Nice and quite space

I really enjoyed working at this library. I learnt how to find different kind of books and authors. The downside of this job is I didn't get enough hours a week.

Nice and quiet environment to work in

I really enjoyed working there. I learned how to find books in the library. What I really enjoyed about the job was I got to meet new people and find some really nice interesting books.The only downside about this job is I didn't get a lot of hours a week.

Productive and helpful individuals to aid in the improvement of the library

During our meeting we would discuss and carry out plans to encourage teens mainly to read more by hosting events at the library and bringing in more books that teens would enjoy

Awesome

The staff were so welcoming and collaborative in work. I loved working there because there were many things learned each day. The youth were fantastic and building rapport with them was essential to succeed.

very fun

I am a volunteer at this library it has a very friendly environment, has excellent staff along with educational and fun

Great Place To Work

Very accommodating company policies and attitudes towards employees and their personal lives. Very inclusive environment with oppurtunity for growth. Great pay for a light work load in a very calm environment. Working here also provides the oppurtunity to meet with various different communities of people within the city and the oppurtunity to do something for them whether it is assissting daily with regular inquiries or making big impacts by working alonngside community programs and initiatives. Overall fantastic place to work. I worked at the Mount Dennis location for 8 years.

Pros

Cons

Customers can be a little problematic at times but does not reflect on the employer at all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.6