Toronto Public Health

Toronto Public Health Employee Reviews

Start work at 10am to 9:00pm. An hour before and after closing. Excellent Management, Very Knowledgeable,Responsible, Fair & ProfessionalWorkplace is typically relaxed, always professional and excepted to have your station cover. Lots of light shed of fairness and respect for peers. The hardest part of the job is the long hours. certain tasks on body restraining and the PPE provided is not ideal for long hours, can become uncomfortable. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know new people, experience clinical atmosphere and being a part of helping with the pandemic relief without being a healthcare provider.
Pros
Relaxed Enviroment
Cons
Long Hours
Decent placement as a student. In a typical work day I would do home visits to help children with growth and development as well as helping new moms. It was a good learning environment for a student but a slow paced work place.
it was a volunteer job. but the experience was great and i have fun with the team members and we all did a great job. Nothing was off limit as the staff really pushed us to the limit
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Hectic
The initiative was funded by Toronto Public Health and we used the funds for research and community outreach. It was good knowing that the city supported advocacy and raising awareness on water-pipe tobacco smoking among at-risk youth.
I have had a number of different career opportunities since joining public health in 1988. I have worked in all programs in the division and have found my learning journey and career development in this organization second to none.
Pros
Interesting opportunities to work with diverse communities and nice staff
Cons
Wished there was more part time availability.
The Toronto public health clinic(s) are great and bring a lot of client diversity. Enjoyed working with such a client base and the friendly staff were a bonus.
Pros
diverse
Cons
hours
Placement at the Toronto Public Health was very exciting. Enjoyed providing dental services to the public. Loved the vast variety of clients entering the clinics.
Great staff at TPH but the senior management team is dysfunctional. They have lost a lot of good staff because of poor hiring decisions. TPH now undergoing a major review so perhaps things will change for the better.
Pros
Smart people
Cons
Bureaucracy, risk adverse, lack of leadership
The work environment is great, but not something for me. A lot of really early morning shifts and constant walking can be a pain, but it serves the community well by preventing cigarette vendors to sell to minors.
Pros
Great Job
Cons
Bad shifts
Great environment because everyone is friends with everybody and because it is a small group of people the constantly support one another and they are very helpful.
Pros
great staff
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Toronto Public Health?
Very busy and fast paced work environment. Chronically short staffed. Little room for movement up to management. Despite this co-workers and current manager are fantastic.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
chronically short staffed, prone to labor disruptions with City of TO contract negotiations
Working at Toronto Public Health as an intern was challenging, yet interesting. My placement was a valuable learning opportunity.