Toronto Public Health

Toronto Public Health Employee Reviews

Inclusive

Start work at 10am to 9:00pm. An hour before and after closing. Excellent Management, Very Knowledgeable,Responsible, Fair & ProfessionalWorkplace is typically relaxed, always professional and excepted to have your station cover. Lots of light shed of fairness and respect for peers. The hardest part of the job is the long hours. certain tasks on body restraining and the PPE provided is not ideal for long hours, can become uncomfortable. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know new people, experience clinical atmosphere and being a part of helping with the pandemic relief without being a healthcare provider.

Pros

Relaxed Enviroment

Cons

Long Hours

Decent placement as a student.

Decent placement as a student. In a typical work day I would do home visits to help children with growth and development as well as helping new moms. It was a good learning environment for a student but a slow paced work place.

Fun place to work

it was a volunteer job. but the experience was great and i have fun with the team members and we all did a great job. Nothing was off limit as the staff really pushed us to the limit

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Hectic

Rewarding Experience

The initiative was funded by Toronto Public Health and we used the funds for research and community outreach. It was good knowing that the city supported advocacy and raising awareness on water-pipe tobacco smoking among at-risk youth.

I have worked here for thirty years and have had a great career

I have had a number of different career opportunities since joining public health in 1988. I have worked in all programs in the division and have found my learning journey and career development in this organization second to none.

Pros

Interesting opportunities to work with diverse communities and nice staff

Cons

Wished there was more part time availability.

Diverse

The Toronto public health clinic(s) are great and bring a lot of client diversity. Enjoyed working with such a client base and the friendly staff were a bonus.

Pros

diverse

Cons

hours

Exciting

Placement at the Toronto Public Health was very exciting. Enjoyed providing dental services to the public. Loved the vast variety of clients entering the clinics.

Good people poor leadership

Great staff at TPH but the senior management team is dysfunctional. They have lost a lot of good staff because of poor hiring decisions. TPH now undergoing a major review so perhaps things will change for the better.

Pros

Smart people

Cons

Bureaucracy, risk adverse, lack of leadership

Great Place, great staff

The work environment is great, but not something for me. A lot of really early morning shifts and constant walking can be a pain, but it serves the community well by preventing cigarette vendors to sell to minors.

Pros

Great Job

Cons

Bad shifts

Intelligent staff and very supportive

Great environment because everyone is friends with everybody and because it is a small group of people the constantly support one another and they are very helpful.

Pros

great staff

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Toronto Public Health?

clinic based Public Health Nurse

Very busy and fast paced work environment. Chronically short staffed. Little room for movement up to management. Despite this co-workers and current manager are fantastic.

Pros

great benefits

Cons

chronically short staffed, prone to labor disruptions with City of TO contract negotiations

A productive team environment with excellent work - life balance

Working at Toronto Public Health as an intern was challenging, yet interesting. My placement was a valuable learning opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Public Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3